What platinum trophies did you reluctantly give up on?

Trumpet_Boi_208

When it comes to trophy hunting, we all learn our limits at one point. What are some games that you reluctantly gave up on, despite having a deep desire for it and putting in a genuine effort? I’ll list some as an example.

Littlebigplanet 2

This is my favorite game of all time, without a doubt, so I thought that I should earn the platinum for it, to prove my love for the game and the series as a whole. Turns out, it proved to be just out of my reach. I had good progress on acing story mode, and was confident I could get players from here to help me with the multiplayer stuff. However, all my confidence would be diminished through one trophy, named “50 Unique Players.” To earn it, you must simply have 50 unique players play a single level of yours. I tried my hand at creating, made some projects that never got close, (probably because they were bad, but that’s besides the point), and even reuploaded a popular level. It was a move I’m not proud of, but even then, it was futile. Unless I find people with the equivalent of 50 boosting accounts, I will have to let this one go. (This was all on an old account I used on PS3 before making a new one on PS4.)

Worms W.M.D.

I loved the Worms franchise since I grew up with Worms: Open Warfare on the PSP. When I played Battlegrounds, I was oddly turned off by it’s graphical style and mediocre story. However, I thoroughly enjoyed W.M.D., and thought I could give the platinum a good go. Hell, I made the trophy guide for it, so it seems appropriate that I should finish the game I (hopefully) helped others complete. Sadly, this dream came to an instant halt from the “Bleating Ranker” trophy. All I needed to do was reach Sheep rank in ranked multiplayer, which is the equivalent of Gold rank in a standard ranked game mode. When I tried it legitimately, I was matched against an Armageddon (platinum) player on my first ranked game, at the lowest rank. That did not inspire hope, as I started facing players who’s ranks were far higher than mine. Then, I decided to boost it with a friend. Turns out that didn’t work either, because when I quit the application for the day, it turns out that my rank was reset upon opening the game the next day, meaning I have to do it all in a single session, which is something I do not have the time for, since my session times are generally more limited. Sucks to see it go, but oh well.

Now it’s your turn! What platinums have you reluctantly gave up? 100% games count as well, in case you’re curious.

• Like 1

Not gave up all the way through yet, I will give it a shot at some point. But two PS Move games, Carnival Island and The Shoot. Fun games, not gonna lie, I was enjoying them for what they were, but the trophies were simply not adjusted to the level of precision Move can offer. When I can play bowling better IRL than in a stupid kid's game, something's wrong right there.

None, however I still need to come back to Catherine (PS3), Spelunky 2, and Downwell.

I've been playing Spelunky 2 these days as I want its plat to be my 6000th trophy milestone but I guess I'll have to scrap that idea since it might take a while and I also want to chase other plats.

There's been others, but these are the more notable ones.

Persona 4 Arena - I really wanted this one. Persona is one of my favorite franchises, and Persona 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. So I just really wanted all of the Persona plats. Unfortunately, after getting Covid last summer, I was one of the lucky few to develop arthritis. Now my hands just aren't dexterous enough to do this. Which really sucks.

Street Fighter X Tekken (Vita) - This game has a trophy for playing in ad-hoc mode. I've tried for years to get it, with no luck. I was waiting for the Vita to drop in price so that I could grab a second one, but because of it's underground popularity, it's still expensive.

Skullgirls 2nd Encore - Dear god this game. Even at my peak of fighting game skill I couldn't get this. I tried so hard and put in so much blood sweat and tears, and just couldn't do it. There were just a few trials and combo challenges I couldn't do.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus - I put in so much time pursuing this plat. I did almost everything I needed to do, and was pretty close to the plat. Then I got to Eliot's combo challenges. There's one where it's just the same move over and over, but to do it, you have to cancel it with a forward, then hold down-forward to do the move. I just couldn't do it on Vita. I've always been pretty trash at fighting games on pad and forward to holding down-forward is just a weird input. I tried for hours and hours to get it, but just never could.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - I've never been the biggest MGS fan. I didn't even finish 2 or 3. But I absolutely love this game. It was one of the first games I got on my PS3 and I went through and got everything. I fully completed the game and essentially got the plat... but before trophies were implemented into the game. I tried to go through and do it all again for the trophies, but it just wasn't the same. I had fairly recently played through 10 times to get everything (I didn't have an optimized path, and I messed up a couple playthroughs), so I was pretty burned out. I just couldn't make myself play through the game another 8 times just for trophies. Especially when my 100% saves were right there.

Trinity Universe - I put around 50 hours into this game. I had done all the legwork to make sure I was on the right path and working towards the plat. I was really enjoying the game. Then my original PS3 died, and I lost the save because it was RIGHT before cloud storage became a thing. I want to say it was release a month or so afterwards. It was pretty close, which made it sting even more. Anyway, this just happened to be the game I was working on at the time, so losing everything else was a bummer, but wasn't as big of a deal since it was completed games. Except my PS2 saves. That hurt quite a bit losing saves I had had for years.

Grand Theft Auto V (PS3 & PS4)

Far too much of a time commitment, and I missed out on transferring a character over to the PS4 version which means I have to do the online TWICE if I want the platinum. 

With dozens of games on my backlog, I just don’t feel like sitting through so many hours playing GTA V. Wasn’t the biggest fan of the game anyway.

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

Street Fighter X Tekken (Vita) - This game has a trophy for playing in ad-hoc mode. I've tried for years to get it, with no luck. I was waiting for the Vita to drop in price so that I could grab a second one, but because of it's underground popularity, it's still expensive.

This was a time when a lot of bigger games still had a difficulty standard for earning the platinum trophy. The other trophies for Street Fighter X Tekken probably would of stopped me because Capcom fighting games are brutal. Super Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V still look hard, but any of the Street Fighter platinums is pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - I've never been the biggest MGS fan. I didn't even finish 2 or 3. But I absolutely love this game. It was one of the first games I got on my PS3 and I went through and got everything. I fully completed the game and essentially got the plat... but before trophies were implemented into the game. I tried to go through and do it all again for the trophies, but it just wasn't the same. I had fairly recently played through 10 times to get everything (I didn't have an optimized path, and I messed up a couple playthroughs), so I was pretty burned out. I just couldn't make myself play through the game another 8 times just for trophies. Especially when my 100% saves were right there.

Still need to play this myself. People have told me this is far easier than MGS 2 and less time consuming than MGS V: The Phantom Pain. MGS 3 I absolutely adored, such excellent story telling from Hideo Kojima.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some less reluctant ones I definitely gave up on all fit within one category - 3rd person MP is what is for me primarily SP game and I can't stand those MP's for anything more than "play match once for bronze" kind of trophies: Red Dead Redemtpion 1 & 2, GTA IV & V, The Last of Us...

Others are more specific

Deus Ex: Mankind divided - Breach mode... just... why???

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - the first game's Crushing difficulty was just too much cheese and poor AI to bother any more (have all 4 other UC platinums)

Bioshock Infinite - 1999 mode. Got stuck for a few days on some silly encounter 70% into the game and just dropped it. It being my least favorite Bioshock didn't help

Crash Team Racing - wasn't as reluctant, I just had to come to terms I don't have the will, need, or want for perfecting the time trials and sink another 30+ hours into practicing it

• Like 1

For me is Black Flag. I’m currently at a 95% completion rate for the base game. The one trophy requires me to play a simple online game mode. But I can never connect because my internet is type 3. Which makes no since since I live in my own house with my own internet. So I never understood why it’s type 3 and I’m not going to bother a my provider to fix it for one trophy lol. I might just go to a friends house and do it one day before servers shut down.

2 hours ago, SKiL_Clash said:

For me is Black Flag. I’m currently at a 95% completion rate for the base game. The one trophy requires me to play a simple online game mode. But I can never connect because my internet is type 3. Which makes no since since I live in my own house with my own internet. So I never understood why it’s type 3 and I’m not going to bother a my provider to fix it for one trophy lol. I might just go to a friends house and do it one day before servers shut down.

There are many guides to fix this. For example in my case: Just typed in the name of my provider.

Loged in and changed under port settings of chosen system that it open ups all its ports byitself.

Good night.

That's the only game i can think of right now. Everything else I still plan to plat.

Resident Evil 7

I've got many games where I either got the plat or 100% or even both.

But except for of its Jap Dub I absolutly liked nothing about this game.

IMO I think it's the worst Resident Evil I have ever played and I 100%ed both ORC and 6, lol.

This game was such a huge disapointment that I simple don't want to plat it.

The only thing that could change my mind is, if I'd get the Gold Edition reallly really cheap.

Good night.

Enslaved Odyssey to the West  

i like the game, the plat didn’t sound so bad. And, I’ve done a few games that have pretty similar requirements. But the damn orbs collectibles in this game were insane and I swear it was glitching out on me. I had to keep replaying levels, up to 4 times, to track down one orb or so. Text guides, following the exact movements in a video guide, additional exploring myself with the guide, didn’t matter, I’d always miss an orb. After several levels of this I had enough and stopped

WWE 2K14

I tried real hard to get the Lord of Darkness trophy. I got close a couple of times, but I just couldn't do it. It was the only trophy I still needed, but I gave up.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

I just needed to grind out a few trophies, but ai couldn't be bothered anymore. I wasn't having fun anymore and it would still take a lot of time. Again, I just gave up!

• 1 year later...

Red Dead Redemption 2.

i just can’t see myself doing The Gold medals, so i did all online and left The game. Maybe halfway through singleplayer too. I did a lot of The grindy challenges and did a lot of collectables and animals, so i haven’t written it of for good, and i might go back some day. 

but i would like to plat rdr1 and GTA iv first ?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've given up on many; heres a few.

Dark Souls III
 I absolutely love this game which makes me really, really want the plat. However I refuse to subject myself to dozens of hours of farming covenant items, so sadly it will likely be forever unfinished.

Monster Hunter World & Monster Hunter World Iceborne
I may someday come back to it, I put 300 hours into it before losing my save file, then came back around when the Iceborne DLC released, put in another 300 hours but never finished the platinum because after 600 hours I got burnt out on it. Simply one of the greatest games ever made. Truly sad I don't have either of it's platinum.

Slime Rancher
Pretty fun game, but it's nothing special. I failed the speedrun trophy many many times. Got sick of it, so now the game sits at 90% on my profile.

Xcom 2

Again, may very well come back someday, this is just an absolutely brutally challenging game. Just completing the game once took me over 100 hours of failure. The challenge trophies are truly ridiculous. I'd love to play, but not sure I have the capacity. One of the best games ever made.

Corpse Killer 25th Anniversary Edition
A game my father purchased for nostalgia, I tried it out and it was pretty fun. Sadly there's some secret collectibles that I couldn't find any info on due to it being a niche game. I probably could plat it, but it's a 25+ year old arcade shooter, not too fussed

Smite
Put around 500 hours in, absolutely love this game but man it is tough. There are just some trophies that require colossal luck, and others that require a coordinated team of 5 skilled players. I don't see myself getting this one. Would be easier if the game didn't have skill based matchmaking. Final form, to kill the entire enemy team with one ability can technically be done with basically any ability, however realistically it can only be done with two ultimates, both of which are easily avoidable by competent players. To have the entire team in one place, and all unfamiliar with the game is nearly impossible when you're in lobbies with people that have hundreds or thousands of hours into the game. 

Godzilla
A game not that many people have, especially not outside of Japan. It has multiplayer trophies, not even sure if they're obtainable anymore, but even if they are they would need to be boosted. The game has been delisted so finding an English speaker to boost with would be even hard. Even with resources Iike PSNProfiles. I enjoyed the other trophies though.

Destiny
Put in many hundreds of hours, but I played with friends that aren't very good at games. Flawless Raider requires godlike coordination between 6 players, and I wasn't gonna abandon my friends for a trophy... Oh well.

There's probably others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 3:20 PM, The Investigator said:

Injustice 2, I really tried my luck to get the Catwoman move, but there's only so much time I'm willing to waste on luck based trophies

They've made it so that you can get Cat Call without RNG, however you need to play as Catwoman for 24 hours I believe. Still an annoying grind, but not RNG anymore.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

NFS Rivals = Bought it when it was on discount. Last NFS game I played was Most Wanted when I was child. The game was too tryhard for me and there is no pause option in the game. You must go back to garage or turn it off completely if something catches you up. I think only hardcore NFS fans or motorsport game fans can get the platinum easily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, InfamousRanger12 said:

Destiny
Put in many hundreds of hours, but I played with friends that aren't very good at games. Flawless Raider requires godlike coordination between 6 players, and I wasn't gonna abandon my friends for a trophy... Oh well.

Destiny's definitely one of mine as well. I never had a team to play with though, so I could never get the Raid trophies. 

BioShock Infinite: I got every other trophy except the ones related to 1999 mode... I platted 1 and 2, and I really wanted to have the whole trilogy, but I could only get to about chapter 8 on 1999 mode before I had to quit. 

Elder Scrolls Online: I put hundreds of hours into the game and got most of the trophies on the original list, but the PVP ones will forever stand in my way. 

Edited by GodsOfBananas
  • Like 3