The DLC Made Me Love This Game

TheDragonfly44

I just finished both DLCs myself. I loved the base game so I was expecting to really love the DLCs as well, but honestly I found The Foundation to be a bit of a drag and I’m not entirely sure why. It definitely didn’t help that the trophies are pretty grindy too, I had to push myself through it. I really enjoyed AWE though and thought the trophies were a lot better, so overall I guess I finished on a positive note. ?

Didn't they do this 'navigating the map'-hardness & mysterious storyline on purpose?

To me that would make sense though, a secret large bureau where you get in as an outsider, would probably raise alot of question marks in my head

I liked the AWE DLC, wasn't a huge fan of The Foundation either, however I really loved the game, even with a 'lesser good' DLC it still was very fun to play

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colia100 said:

I certainly look forward to it then, cause the base game is probably one of the most boring uninspired pieces of crap i have ever had the displeasure of playing!

And dont even get me started the map and waypoint system 1f612.png

Then why would you even bother playing the dlc? If you hated the base game I can’t see how you would enjoy the dlc.

As for me, like op I played the base game on PS Now and I was really excited to hear we got the Ultimate Edition on Plus as I had often contemplated buying the game just to play the dlc (the game had left Now at this point). I started playing at the earliest opportunity... and having just finished both dlc, I am left with very mixed feelings. 

First of all, I had some trouble getting back ‘into’ the game. I had completely lost any recollection of the controls after just a few months. I remember loving the game and the story, watched quite a few explanation videos on YouTube. All of that was completely erased from my mind though, that didn’t help getting back into the game. Unfortunately I found The Foundation to be rather boring and uninspired. It definitely adds something to the game’s lore, but it couldn’t capture my attention. I was mostly interested in AWE as I loved, *loved* Alan Wake back in the day. Disappointment was almost inevitable... As hard as I tried, linking both games felt gimmicky. I didn’t enjoy it. And the difficulty spike was quite ridiculous. I just wanted it to be over with and I am not ashamed to admit I ‘cheated’ through the accessibility options (one shot kills, inmorality) to get the end fight done.

Not my cup of tea I’m afraid. I should have left the game alone and enjoyed the happy memories I had of it. 

Edited by Sifferino

Game is a top-5 of the last generation, I love it, but ironically, I found the AWE DLC the most underwhelming personally.  It's still a solid 7/10, but I much preferred the Foundation. From a narrative perspective it was very cool but I found the Investigations Sector boring and I didn't like the Hartman light mechanic. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Game is a top-5 of the last generation, I love it, but ironically, I found the AWE DLC the most underwhelming personally.  It's still a solid 7/10, but I much preferred the Foundation. From a narrative perspective it was very cool but I found the Investigations Sector boring and I didn't like the Hartman light mechanic. 

I am different. i liked the Hartman lighting mechanic and having to turn the lights on to beat him. i do agree that it is a top 5 game. I have quite a few games I liked from the PS4 era and this will always be a memorable experience, I did make it my 300th platinum after all.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:50 AM, TheDragonfly44 said:

Yeah I don't know what was up with The Foundation but for a dlc AWE was really good. Hopeful for a sequel eventually 

I think they've kinda said they're just going to continue with this "shared universe" thing and doesn't sound like a direct sequel is going to be a thing : (

not enjoying the game one bit, i must be missing something because im half way through this.. shit and i've upgraded grip once. i got the mats to upgrade the shitty sniper thing once and just, walking around in circles hoping the next box drops something i need but tbh the pistol is the worst thing about the game so. even maxxed it'll probably be shit. and this stupid boss keeps slamming holes in the arena.

between the mind numbingly samey environments, the pistol that reloads slower then a lmg, and enemies that respawn in the area your standing in it's seriously overstaying it's welcome

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 7:20 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

not enjoying the game one bit, i must be missing something because im half way through this.. shit and i've upgraded grip once. i got the mats to upgrade the shitty sniper thing once and just, walking around in circles hoping the next box drops something i need but tbh the pistol is the worst thing about the game so. even maxxed it'll probably be shit. and this stupid boss keeps slamming holes in the arena.

between the mind numbingly samey environments, the pistol that reloads slower then a lmg, and enemies that respawn in the area your standing in it's seriously overstaying it's welcome

I think we are in a minority. I'm not a big fan. I'm a few hours in and I still have no idea what the hell is going on in the story. The enemies spawn wherever they please, the guns are slow and the controls are awkward.

I'll probably plat it (because the game might grow on me) but I'm not interested in the DLC beyond.

Edited by GarryKE
  • Like 1

it picks up, and the dlc is pretty amazing tbf. i loved it once i figured out how to grind the mats and upgrade. once you get the +5 projectiles and -scatter and ammo refil mods for the shatter gun it absolutely kicks ass. you just need to get around mission 6-7 for them to even open up, although you do get +5 projectiles from a box in mission 4-5 but nothing else for quite a while. you gotta keep doing the bureau alerts constantly past the 5 required for trophy and you'll be able to upgrade much faster. prioritise elimination.

but deffo try the dlc there's some amazing sequences and missions. i understood the story pretty easily because im a huge fan of fringe and other stuff similar so i kinda got it all. also for the ridiculously hard stuff there is a cheese availiable if needed, the boss "Former" is such a colossal knob though.

and the story  idk how far in you are, but basically the company is investigating multi-dimensional phenomena, and throughout the years have found several large discoveries, one of their best and largest discoveries took place in jessie's hometown, an item of power (which is just an object that has been altered by a multi-dimensional creature) started causing all sorts of havoc, jessie and her brother found the object and it changed their lives, dylan was caught by the company and kept under guard, jessie escaped, fast forward a ton of years and jessie finally finds the bureau, hopefully some answers about her brother.

the rest is major spoiler territory. idk where you are in the story.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. The story is starting to make sense to me. I think at first, when you have never read or played a story quite like this, it boggles the mind!

I'm up to Mission 7 and I agree that the gameplay - which is by far the thing I enjoy the most - does start to pick up.

I had a few failed tries with Former. I gave up at attempt #5 and came back with Levitate and Dodge and I kicked its arse in about 30 seconds. However, after going gungho the second time I come across it in a side mission, I ended up flying off the edge of the arena ?

Anchor was good fun.

I've changed my mind about the game now though. I'm definitely going to give the DLC a go

Edited by GarryKE
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 1:20 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

I didn’t hate it as much as you, but I really think this game is horribly overrated.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:06 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

it picks up, and the dlc is pretty amazing tbf. i loved it once i figured out how to grind the mats and upgrade. once you get the +5 projectiles and -scatter and ammo refil mods for the shatter gun it absolutely kicks ass. you just need to get around mission 6-7 for them to even open up, although you do get +5 projectiles from a box in mission 4-5 but nothing else for quite a while. you gotta keep doing the bureau alerts constantly past the 5 required for trophy and you'll be able to upgrade much faster. prioritise elimination.

Good to hear about the DLC, though.

On 2/8/2021 at 2:20 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

Me neither. There are some games I don't like but I'll admit they just aren't for me and are still good games. This isn't one. Lame environment, weird story, 3 crashes, regular severe fps drops, enemies spawning on top of you, laggy menus, terrible map that sometimes doesn't even load. I don't get the fuss about this game. I'll platinum it but still one of the least enjoyable games I've played in the last year. Glad I held off on buying it.

Edited by Sn1per666999