Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free'?

DrBloodmoney

Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free' in topic discussions?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free' in topic discussions?

• Yes
    • No

I don't care if someone refers to the PSPlus games as free, but I don't think people should say that the PSPlus games are free. You can't say that the games you get are a free bonus because they are part of a service that is given out in a routine manner and not given out for special occasions. If it is part of a service that you pay for then it is not free.

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 1

It's all based on perception, but in a world that requires consoles to pay for online access to multiplayer and the insane deals you can get to add on top of your current subscription and with inflation taken into account and the scarcity of some games, especially if they are delisted, then the value goes up considerably as well if you've been subscribed for a while. Overall, the amount of stuff you get simply outweighs what you paid for. It's about as free as free can get and anyone arguing otherwise is just being a useless contrarian. This argument does nothing for the discussion of games as a whole. It's just pointless bickering amongst those who want to be "right" about a service for some asinine reason. 

Why make things complicated when they could be so simple?

I’ll keep calling these games free even though it’s not technically right, because it’s a simple way to do so and because everyone here understands what it refers to...

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, leandrorhcp said:

I do not consider them free games by any means as they are tied to your suscription. It's a benefit of the Plus service, if anything you're just renting them as long as you keep paying for it.

This

1 hour ago, BestUsername---- said:

I don't care if someone refers to the PSPlus games as free, but I don't think people should say that the PSPlus games are free. You can't say that the games you get are a free bonus because they are part of a service that is given out in a routine manner and not given out for special occasions. If it is part of a service that you pay for then it is not free.

And this.

1 hour ago, OpenScars said:

It's basically renting until our PS+ subscription runs out.

And thiss.

27 minutes ago, MickeyMixLipa said:

PS Plus games are not free. It's a subscription to access them and once you lose that subscription the access to the games end. If we kept the games then my opinion would be different. 

We don't call films on Netflix/Hulu/Disney+ free do we? 

And thisss.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Carol said:

Like I said and I thought I was clear, people use “free” as a language simplifier. It’s a shame that people are so toxic, that they make a special effort to be deliberately obtuse, when it comes to understanding what the other person is saying.

Yes, personally, I really don't care about the "free" label even though it is technically incorrect. I thought the discussion was about whether the games are actually given to you free of charge, which they are not. They are just really, really cheap.

The only digital games I would consider free were the ones given by WB - Lego Ninjago or Injustice 2.

Edited by HusKy

I started paying for PS+ during the PS3 days because of the games. I'm still paying for PS+ mostly for the games now, so they're definitely not free games.

Even to those who pay for PS+ to play online, part of the deal is that you pay for those games, so they're not free. If you aren't subscribed to PS+, you don't have access to your "free" games.

Its a premium paid for service. You pay for a subscription and in return you get a number of services including 2 games per month. Its completeley irrelevant whether you use or intended to use it. It does not change the fact that you would not have access to it if you didnt continue paying a price, and if you cant access it without paying it contradicts the dictionary definition of free.

If you bought PS Now to play 5 games, that doesnt make the hundreds of other games free.

If you buy a sim card with unlimited data and minutes, but you only use the data, that doesnt mean the minutes are free.

If you buy a house with 2 bathrooms but only use one, that doesnt mean the second bathroom was free.

If you buy Microsoft Office but only use Microsoft Word, that doesnt mean all of the other software is free.

If it were an acceptable statement to make, Sony would be the first in line to boast about it and they would put it in all of their advertising. For obvious (or what I thought was obvious) reasons, they cannot because its 100% a lie.

Cambridge Dictionary definition of 'Free':

"Costing nothing, or not needing to be paid for"

My friend wants the PS+ games for free. If you can tell me how he can download them by "Costing nothing, or not needing to be paid for", I will accept that they are free games.

• Like 4