Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free'?

DrBloodmoney

Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free' in topic discussions?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free' in topic discussions?

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Wait, so you're a degenerate for including an extra word in your sentence? lolwut

You're actually arguing that it's not possible to change the meaning of any sentence with one word, despite it being taught in school that is very well possible. So why are you laughing?
Also, that's actually not my point. The point is that in one case a word with a very specific meaning is constantly being misused despite awareness of so. 

18 minutes ago, Bumperklever said:

And overanalyze this by a lot. 

Overanalyzing? All of this is immediately obvious upon reading certain people's comments. My (short) points are very clear: People treating their presumptuous beliefs of what people type/secretly mean as fact, a word self-knowingly by people being used wrong, and easy alternative ways to describe the ownership/distribution of the monthly games without adding "free". That's it. 

Edited by EcoShifter

14 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

You're actually arguing that it's not possible to change the meaning of any sentence with one word, despite it being taught in school that is very well possible. So why are you laughing?

I'm not arguing anything, I couldn't care less about how you say it. I'm just saying calling people degenerates for including the word "free" in their sentence is a bit extreme, but you do you.

Just now, BRKs_Eagle said:

I'm not arguing anything, I couldn't care less about how you say it. I'm just saying calling people degenerates for including the word "free" in their sentence is a bit extreme, but you do you.

You did with your attempt at a counterargument. I didn't actually do that, I implied degenerative actions not degenerative people. There's a difference. Criticizing people's actions and criticizing people themselves are not the samething.

People will never be in sync when it comes to their thought process, because we are all different.

I could buy a Jr Frosty Tag from Wendy's for .99c (which is the cost of *1* frosty), which permits a FREE Jr Frosty every visit. I could get a total of 5 Jr Frosty during this promotion, some would say I got 4/5 Frosty for free, some would say each Frosty cost .20c

But does it really matter? You get what you pay for, and in addition to somethings you do pay for, you sometimes get a little more. If the company handing it out sees it as a gift to you, than it is free (this is my opinion). 

Everyone can have an opinion, no reason to get mad at someone because they think differently. These arent medieval times xD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OFFICER_OILDAB said:

People will never be in sync when it comes to their thought process, because we are all different.

I could buy a Jr Frosty Tag from Wendy's for .99c (which is the cost of *1* frosty), which permits a FREE Jr Frosty every visit. I could get a total of 5 Jr Frosty during this promotion, some would say I got 4/5 Frosty for free, some would say each Frosty cost .20c

But does it really matter? You get what you pay for, and in addition to somethings you do pay for, you sometimes get a little more. If the company handing it out sees it as a gift to you, than it is free (this is my opinion). 

Everyone can have an opinion, no reason to get mad at someone because they think differently. These arent medieval times xD

I honestly think people are just bored lol They have nothing better to do so why not argue over something completely irrelevant that doesn't affect you in any way shape or form just for the lolz. Opinions are, like they say, like buttholes. Everyone's got one but that don't mean everyone needs to see it.

• Like 1

I'm not "happy" about it but I'm not "unhappy" about it either. I think it's fine as a descriptor even if it's not entirely accurate.

I don't spend a lot of time on the forums, but I'd be more upset about conversations in multiple threads being derailed constantly into bickering about "is it free, not free, etc."

Obviously the games are not "free" but they're not something you have to hand over money for every month (provided you aren't paying for PS+ every month), which makes it a slightly different feeling from Netflix to which people were comparing PS+.

32 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

You did with your attempt at a counterargument. I didn't actually do that, I implied degenerative actions not degenerative people. There's a difference. Criticizing people's actions and criticizing people themselves are not the samething.

Holy shit, Mr. Syntax, take a damn walk.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

Holy shit, Mr. Syntax, take a damn walk.

Melodramatic and blowing things out of proportion. I'll be damned if I let someone make something I said/did (critique of actions) look like something it's not (insulting people). Clearly you need to take the damn walk. There's literally no need for your comment.

On 04/02/2021 at 2:55 PM, EcoShifter said:

You did with your attempt at a counterargument. I didn't actually do that, I implied degenerative actions not degenerative people. There's a difference. Criticizing people's actions and criticizing people themselves are not the same thing.

See? You're just being pedantic again because of semantics.

The point is: everyone can understand what a person means when they call it "free." Call them "free games," "games," "PS+ games," "subscription-based games," "Billy Bobs" or whatever you want to - as long as it's understandable, why complain? It's not like a meteor will fall on Earth if people don't use the correct term or whatever.

Edited by Eagle

6 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Melodramatic and blowing things out of proportion.

tenor.gif

On topic, I feel like there is a general agreement that freebie is an acceptable way to think about getting something you didn't specifically plan for in a paid service, pedants aside.

Edited by Jelly Soup

34 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

See? You're just being pedantic again because of semantics.

Calling you out on being wrong about something is not being pedantic -_-. You were wrong about things you argued with me on, and when I argue back that's being pedantic? No. I already addressed what made your replies silly. Refer back to that post.

The point is: everyone can understand what a person means when they call it "free." Call them "free games", "games", "PS+ games", "subscription-based games", "Billy Bobs" or whatever you want to - as long as it's understandable, why complain? It's not like a meteor will fall on Earth if people don't use the correct term or whatever.

That is not the point. Your first reply to me is v

1 hour ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Wait, so you're a degenerate for including an extra word in your sentence? lolwut

So this is your point. You firstly twisted my point and at the sametime also implied that people can't be degenerative with the inclusion of a word in a sentence.

as long as it's understandable, why complain?

Look, there are exceptions here and there (typos, figure of speech, etc), but your comment is not an effective excuse for people to choose when grammar matters and when it doesn't. What's the point of words if they won't be used as designed. Like I said before, "free" is a very specific term that applies to very specific situations, so its usage to describe situations in which something is evidently not free is. . . going to be glaring. Otherwise, what's the point in the word's very existence. 

30 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

tenor.gif

That has no use here but ok? :facepalm:

Edited by EcoShifter

On 04/02/2021 at 4:08 PM, EcoShifter said:

Look, there are exceptions here and there (typos, figure of speech, etc.), but your comment is not an effective excuse for people to choose when grammar matters and when it doesn't. What's the point of words if they won't be used as designed? Like I said before, "free" is a very specific term that applies to very specific situations, so its usage to describe situations in which something is evidently not free is going to be glaring. Otherwise, what's the point in the word's very existence?

OK, and? You still understood what they meant. That's good enough. Taking my previous post as example, I trust you to have understood perfectly well I meant "argue" not in the sense of answering to you, which is theoretically arguing, but in the sense of trying to convince people of saying stuff in a particular way, which I couldn't care less about.

The point is, again: maybe referring to it as "free" is wrong. So what? It doesn't "promote degeneracy" or anything of the sort. It's just a word.

Edited by Eagle

1 hour ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

OK, and? You still understood what they meant. That's good enough.

Just because it's okay and good enough for you doesn't mean it's okay to other people.

Taking my previous post as example, I trust you to have understood perfectly well I meant "argue" not in the sense of answering to you, which is theoretically arguing, but in the sense of trying to convince people of saying stuff in a particular way, which I couldn't care less about.

My original comment is based on other "convincing" comments on the thread, some of which are condescending and insulting to people on the other side of room.

maybe referring to it as "free" is wrong. So what? It doesn't "promote degeneracy" or anything of the sort. It's just a word.

. . . Degeneracy describes a declined state. Using a word incorrectly while knowing so and not finding an appropriate replacement is degenerative. Rather than improve you're choosing to be wrong, either out of laziness or ignorance. That's degenerative. "It's just a word" couldn't be farther from a non-argument. Now, there's no reason for this to go on any longer; there isn't that much depth to this thread nor anything else to be said, honestly.

Also

l

v

Edited by EcoShifter

I honestly think they shouldn't be considered free. Free isn't supposed to refer to something that you have to pay to access and can be taken away once you stop paying.  We don't call games on PS Now free when that is a very similar sort of deal where the subscriber has access to games for the duration of their subscription.  PS Plus games are at best borrowed under the condition that Sony expects you to give them back the moment your PS Plus runs out.

• Like 2