Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free'?

DrBloodmoney

Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free' in topic discussions?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free' in topic discussions?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

Just because it's okay and good enough for you doesn't mean it's okay to other people.

Fair. But then, we could apply the same logic here:

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

Degeneracy describes a declined state. Using a word incorrectly while knowing so and not finding an appropriate replacement is degenerative. Rather than improve you're choosing to be wrong, either out of laziness or ignorance. That's degenerative. "It's just a word" couldn't be farther from a non-argument. Now, there's no reason for this to go on any longer; there isn't that much depth to this thread nor anything else to be said, honestly.

Just because it doesn't adhere to your standards, doesn't mean it's inferior. It's just a way to simplify for better understanding, which is what language is all about: a means of communication so people can understand each other.

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

You're deflection game is just..

...perfection in motion.

@BRKs_Eagle I suggest using your block function. We've got a GFAQs-level poster here, so be prepared for a nit-pick battle.

From your first useless retort where you're seen pitifully making something (a standard correction in an argument) bigger than it actually is out of I assume boredom or personal issues, you've failed to make any kind of argument. Your sole purpose is clearly to provoke. You've contributed nothing to the topic (until your late edit) or countered anything I've said. It's humorous you're trying to equate me with a GFAQ level poster, when both your mentality and argumentative approach mirrors one exactly, even to the degree of constantly inserting unfunny GIFs in your replies. Also hilarious you use the word deflection when you did the very thing in one of your previous post by cherrypicking only the secondary point of my argument against your previous drivel so that you had a "reason" to submit another useless retort, a common trait among people on that site.

27 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Fair. But then, we could apply the same logic here:

Just because it doesn't adhere to your standards, doesn't mean it's inferior. It's just a way to simplify for better understanding, which is what language is all about: a means of communication so people can understand each other.

What. . .?? No, no you cannot. This isn't even about my standards but those of grammar and the English language. You don't get to dictate the rules of grammar or decide it doesn't matter much because of your personal feelings and "ability" to detect what someone means when they aren't perfectly clear. Your argument is super irrational, man.

Edited by EcoShifter

On 04/02/2021 at 7:18 PM, EcoShifter said:

What? No, you cannot. This isn't even about my standards, but those of grammar and the English language. You don't get to dictate the rules of grammar or decide it doesn't matter much because of your personal feelings and "ability" to detect what someone means when they aren't perfectly clear. Your argument is super irrational, man.

This isn't formal, it's an informal conversation. If this was an academic work/book/essay/what have you, then sure, adhering to all the standards would be essential. But, in informal conversation, the simpler it is, the better. It's not inferior by being informal.

Also, as I said, it is perfectly clear what they mean by "free." You understood it, I understood it, everyone here (as far as I can tell, at least) also understood it.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

I understand your point EcoShifter and for me you are right: the term "free" is wrong and the fact that everyone know it and still use it is just a matter of laziness or simply a bad habit related to the massive usage of the term in marketing. No one is guilty for that and I don't think they should change their way of speaking as long as they know the truth.

I usually use the term "PS+ games" to refer to those games and sometimes "free games", it depends on... dunno, my mind in that moment I guess xD

In general when I use the term 'free' regarding something like the "Amazon free shipping" I do because that's the name of the "deal" and not the actual deal.

27 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

This isn't formal, it's an informal conversation. If this was an academic work/book/essay/what have you, then sure, adhering to all the standards would be essential. But, in informal conversation, the simpler it is, the better. It's not inferior by being informal.

Also, as I said, it is perfectly clear what they mean by "free." You understood it, I understood it, everyone here (as far as I can tell, at least) also understood it.

A basic form of formal conversation is needed for discussions to even happen in the first place. And there is no informal use of the word "free". Right, ignore the apparent fact, though, that not using the word "free" actually makes things "simpler" and "better". So much to the point that this topic & argument literally would not exist if people knew how to use the term correctly.

Guy. The point is about the fact some believe the game is actually free (from their twisted definition of the word's meaning), as well as the misuse of the word. You're not really following the argument. You're also generalizing and assuming everyone who uses the term in one unified group, including yourself which goes back to my first point with the personal assumptions treated as fact. You DON'T know what they mean. You jump to the conclusion that you do, the same way people stupidly claim they know someone is joking without actually knowing.

Edited by EcoShifter

I cannot believe this is still going on. So let’s say the following:

Starcrunch061 is a ps+ subscriber. So is Joe Schmo. If Joe Schmo says that’s he’s getting his games for free, so be it. If Joe Schmo says I’m getting my games for free, he’s dead wrong.

Badabingbadaboom.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

On 04/02/2021 at 8:03 PM, EcoShifter said:

Guy. The point is about the fact some believe the game is actually free (from their twisted definition of the word's meaning), as well as the misuse of the word. You're not really following the argument. You're also generalizing and assuming everyone who uses the term in one unified group, including yourself, which goes back to my first point with the personal assumptions treated as fact. You DON'T know what they mean. You jump to the conclusion that you do, the same way people stupidly claim they know someone is joking without actually knowing.

Alright, ask the original topic creator (the one bashing Destruction All-Stars) what he meant by "free." If he didn't use it to simplify "PS+ game," I'll admit I'm wrong. 

Edited by Eagle

Most people seem to mean "free" in a colloquial sense, which I don't mind. However, it does irk me when fanboys use it to deflect criticism of the service: "why are you complaining about free games? So entitled!" Yes, I'm entitled alright—entitled to complain, because I pay a yearly fee for it.

I mostly view Plus as a game rental service, and once I squeeze enough value out of it to "pay for itself," I consider any worthwhile games after that to be just a bonus (or "free," if you prefer). This usually doesn't take long, since I refuse to pay more than about $30 per year on a discounted subscription.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Most people seem to mean "free" in a colloquial sense, which I don't mind. However, it does irk me when fanboys use it to deflect criticism of the service: "why are you complaining about free games? So entitled!" Yes, I'm entitled alright—entitled to complain, because I pay a yearly fee for it.

It's just that simple.

• Like 2

PS+ games are tied up with the PS+ suscription and will always be, so you're paying for it as a service. I'm not arguing if the games they offer are a good deal or not in terms of quality/price, I'm just meaning that the ownership (license to play) of those "free" games only last as long as you're committed to pay the suscription every now and then, and you'll be unable to play them if your PS+ expires.  So basically: I'm not happy when people reffer to these games as free.

(Also, I hate that a yearly PS+ suscription takes ~15% of the minimum wage money in my country)

• 2 years later...
On 2/4/2021 at 11:38 AM, djb5f said:

People type they are “free” as it is shorter than to type it is “free with PS Plus”.

Yet, people always jump them for not spelling it out every time.  You know what they mean.  Good grief.

EDIT- And good point on Amazon “free shipping”.  Do these same people who get so triggered by calling PS Plus games “free” also go off when a friend says they are getting something because they have free shipping from Amazon (and don’t spell out they pay for Prime each and every time).

I agree wholeheartedly with this post - oh wait, that is me from almost 3 years ago 

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...