I love Bioshock, will I love Prey?

TacoParade

Personally, I felt this game was a dull and incohesive mish-mash of ideas with no identity of its own so ultimately felt contrived and slapped together. If they had stuck with the bounty hunter theme of the original demo that was put out a few years ago then this could have been something special but instead, it's essentially just a very average Bioshock clone that does very little to distinguish itself from that modern classic. If you can get this for £5 or less, then it's worth playing for curiosity reasons but that's it.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

It has similarities to Bioshock but I wouldn't be comfortable recommending it purely on that. Now if you'd said Dishonored and Deus Ex.... I'd tell you to buy it yesterday. Its a beautiful space baby of those two games let me tell you

DLC is a bit weird, I still need to get back to that....

• Like 4

Prey is nowhere near as great as Bioshock, as the last has so much more lore, atmosphere, depth of story etc.

But that does not at all mean it is not a great game, as it definitely is, i just wasn't sucked in as much.

Of course, the mechanics may be better, but this is down to age and completely understandable.

Any which way, you will love your experience, and if you loved one, you will love the other

I'd say it's hard to compare Bioshock and Prey, but I never played Prey without going for trophies which limited my use of some of the game's mechanics and I've only played Bioshock Infinite to completion, not Bioshock 1 or 2.

That said I still enjoyed both of those games immensely. I have not done any Prey DLC though. 

It goes on sale semi-frequently, and there is a Prey trail on the PlayStation store you could try.

Im a massive Bioshock 1 and 2 fan. Infinite just didnt do it for me. 

Ive read/watched plenty of reviews on Prey (In particular SkillUp's) and it seems excellent. People always rave about it, in particular on "hidden gem" lists. 

With that said, i have Prey w/DLC and the Dishonored collection ready to download. (Already purchased, so no qualms there!)

Any suggestions on what to go for first?

2 hours ago, punkshepherd said:

Im a massive Bioshock 1 and 2 fan. Infinite just didnt do it for me. 

Ive read/watched plenty of reviews on Prey (In particular SkillUp's) and it seems excellent. People always rave about it, in particular on "hidden gem" lists. 

With that said, i have Prey w/DLC and the Dishonored collection ready to download. (Already purchased, so no qualms there!)

Any suggestions on what to go for first?

For Dishonoured, do them in order definitely.

Prey, I would say, sits well apart from the Dishonoured games in terms of gameplay, so play that anytime really - If you are a Bioshock fan, I might start with Prey, but with Dishonoured, make sure whatever you do, you get to experience the Clockwork Mansion level in Dishonoured 2 - it is one of the most bizarre and perfectly crafted levels in all of videogames!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TacoParade said:

I love Bioshock as a completionist and as a casual player. Ive heard Prey compared a little to the series in general. Will I enjoy Prey and my journey to the 100%? 

Definitely.. it's not quite on the same level, creatively or artistically, but it's not far off, and lots to explore, loot and craft.

there are some good weapons but it lacks any fully automatics, but it has a really good shotgun though, enemy varierty is a bit dissapointing, thats the biggest drawback I had. on the plus side though it's a decent length, decent challenge and finding all the residents of the place is satisfying.

it also has an amazing roguelike dlc that is imo perfect, tons of trophies keep you interested, challenging but not too bad keeps you coming back for one more run, and items carry over between deaths after you find/buy plans.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably, unless you're weird like me. I was a big fan of System Shock 2 when it released, but something about Prey didn't click for me. I really disliked all the backtracking through lengthy loading screens, the slow pacing bored me, and the combat felt so off that I decided to run past enemies whenever possible. I can recognize that it's a competently made game overall, though, and that not liking it is more of a "me" problem. I also neglected using Typhon powers much, when they probably would have spiced up the experience significantly.

I only paid $4 for a used GameStop copy (which somehow managed to be in near-mint condition, and included the pre-order shotgun DLC), so it's not like I regret playing it or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I recently completed my first playthrough...

In no way would I ever put it into the same comparison to BioShock. Because of the setting and gameplay style of survival horror, I would probably say it leans more to Alien Isolation. 

But its a really bad trophy game. So my first playthrough took me 41 hours and in that playthrough I was limited to what I could upgrade my weapons to, as well as not being able to use any abilities for the no needles trophy. I then looked into the spilt affinity trophy and now I have to complete the game only using one type of ability. The trophy list really wrecks the experience of just letting you enjoy everything and then moving onto the DLC. The story is really good, but the game is too long for its own good, as you reach the end its like the game needs a damn good cache clean because you start moving really sluggish. 

Now I need to go through the entire thing again, finding upgrades, nodes etc etc just to kill all survivors. Oh and that part is glitchy as hell too as npc's can die before you get to them so make sure you do follow a guide and do a save before each new area. 

Its not the worst game by any means but I would only advise you buy it at a super low price as to at least not feel ripped off. Whilst not a hard trophy list by any means, I'd say the list totally kills the game. If you don't want the trophies at all then I reckon it could actually be a much better experience. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I also love Bioshock and Bioshock 2. Infinite was a bit of a disappointment (too liner and so different than the demos). Prey is very similar to the original Bioshock with heavy emphasis on exploration and the Metroidvania style of level design. In tone, I'd compare Prey more to Deus Ex Human Revolution. I've also played the first Dishonored and prefer Prey, but both games are heavily influenced by the Bioshock formula. I'd also say that I'm a big fan of Ayn Rand and especially The Fountainhead, so that underlying theme of Bioshock is pretty fascinating. The Prey story is great, but much more sci fi than Bioshock. Prey also has one of the greatest openings in gaming history, similar to both Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 12:57 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

I recently completed my first playthrough...

In no way would I ever put it into the same comparison to BioShock. Because of the setting and gameplay style of survival horror, I would probably say it leans more to Alien Isolation. 

But its a really bad trophy game. So my first playthrough took me 41 hours and in that playthrough I was limited to what I could upgrade my weapons to, as well as not being able to use any abilities for the no needles trophy. I then looked into the spilt affinity trophy and now I have to complete the game only using one type of ability. The trophy list really wrecks the experience of just letting you enjoy everything and then moving onto the DLC. The story is really good, but the game is too long for its own good, as you reach the end its like the game needs a damn good cache clean because you start moving really sluggish. 

Now I need to go through the entire thing again, finding upgrades, nodes etc etc just to kill all survivors. Oh and that part is glitchy as hell too as npc's can die before you get to them so make sure you do follow a guide and do a save before each new area. 

Its not the worst game by any means but I would only advise you buy it at a super low price as to at least not feel ripped off. Whilst not a hard trophy list by any means, I'd say the list totally kills the game. If you don't want the trophies at all then I reckon it could actually be a much better experience. 

Adding to this, I agree it is a bad trophy game. Arkane Studios did the same thing with the Dishonored trophies, making you play a certain way the entire game for a trophy. Just a terrible idea for a rather long game and a game based on choice and player agency. I agree about the game being too long as well, mainly because several of the areas feel the same. BUT it's a great game, a great experience, and one I think would be incredible with a sequel. Arkane, if you are not already dead after Redfall (how the studio that made this game made that game I'll never know), if you make a sequel, please put someone else in charge of the trophy list.

Edited by cobaltTangerine