The ending is very disappointing (May contain spoilers)

lettmon

Disappointing ending  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Disappointing ending

• Yes
    • No

I expected this series to end on a high note, but it was the complete opposite - it was very anticlimactic and it made me feel sad and I'm not even a Uncharted fan!

We are shown a new character - Drake and Elena's teenage daughter - and we have to walk her around - this would only work at the beginning of the game, but it's the end of the game and the whole series - we don't care about this character, we don't know anything about her and don't want to because the series will end any minute! And then the 'big deal' comes - the daughter learns about the Indiana Jones past of her parents - who cares?

How the ending should have been - Drake and co are sitting in the same beach by a table cracking the usual Uncharted jokes, laughing and sipping cocktails and remembering all the crazy things that happened to them - beautiful sunset - the end. That would have been a 100x better ending than what we got.

• Like 3

Who hurt you

Drake had his last hurrah, no main protagonist died like everyone thought they would, and you're introduced to the life Drake now lives. The 'remembering' stuff you mentioned is shown through the artifacts in the cabinet, and done in a much more impactful and meaningful way. You're welcome to hate on whatever you want, but your ending is much more cliche and, in my opinion, bland. Ending something on a visual sunset is the most overplayed metaphor in media, and they mention throughout the games stuff that's happened to them before.

Edited by ChunkyKong64

I'm surprised

Spoiler

they even let Drake live in the end, especially after The Last of Us 2...

Overall I thought the ending was heartwarming and offered closure to a great series, especially enjoyed the nod to their original IP (Crash).

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Infected Elite said:

i was disappointed by the ending,  but i do agree with ChunkyKong. 

i think if anything,  even tho i did enjoy Lost Legacy, having ANY Uncharted game come after U4, hurts the ending by not making it seem like the Uncharted world has closed. 

How does it hurt the ending?

I thought the fact that we play with their daughter leaves it open for possible sequels with her as the protagonist.

To me it was an open ending, closing Nathan's adventures but opening up the possibility for a new main character.

Then there's also the fact that there are other explorers out there, Lost Legacy was a very pleasant surprise and expanding on the Uncharted universe with all the characters that we've come to know over the years only adds to it. But that's just my opinion.

BTW I thought it was a fitting ending, ending that part of the Uncharted series on a good note.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HardXDXtraga said:

How does it hurt the ending?

I thought the fact that we play with their daughter leaves it open for possible sequels with her as the protagonist.

To me it was an open ending, closing Nathan's adventures but opening up the possibility for a new main character.

Then there's also the fact that there are other explorers out there, Lost Legacy was a very pleasant surprise and expanding on the Uncharted universe with all the characters that we've come to know over the years only adds to it. But that's just my opinion.

BTW I thought it was a fitting ending, ending that part of the Uncharted series on a good note.

yeah i wasnt feeling the whole play as the daughter route it may have gone. Obviously this is before Lost Legacy was out. I just thought if this is what Uncharted 5 is gonna be, no. Its Drakes story.

Some games i feel just dont need a whole wack of games i guess. Or at least this series doesn't. 

50 minutes ago, lettmon said:

we don't care about this character, we don't know anything about her and don't want to because the series will end any minute! And then the 'big deal' comes - the daughter learns about the Indiana Jones past of her parents - who cares?

I think this is the bit you're missing. We're introduced to Cassie at the end of this game now because we'll be playing as her as the main character in the next one ?

I wouldn't say it's disappointing, no. But in retrospect, it's largely forgettable. I do appreciate how they chose to end on a quiet note - but is it really right for a series with ludicrously over-the-top set pieces? Long-lost brothers who turn up out of nowhere? Sword fights on burning pirate ships?

The ending doesn't really stick because it aims for something humanistic when the game is anything but. Uncharted 4 as a whole has this problem. The story tries to be subtle, and yet it's still overwritten.

• Like 3

Haven't played the game. But isn't Uncharted 4's story about how Drake failed to settle down?

Isn't the ending where he has a daughter, and they're still together, a great way to show that he finally did settle down in the end?

1 hour ago, ChunkyKong64 said:

Drake had his last hurrah, no main protagonist died like everyone thought they would, and you're introduced to the life Drake now lives. The 'remembering' stuff you mentioned is shown through the artifacts in the cabinet, and done in a much more impactful and meaningful way.

This is Uncharted we are talking about, not Gone Home or Life is Strange.

• Like 1

Drake wakes up in the middle of the night screaming and sweating, looks out the window and sees the nuns from his childhood foster home (they have rejuvenated because they followed Drake to Shambala).

9s2-YXxj-T5uc.jpg

Elena runs into the room holding a cup of tea

"Drake! Are you alright?"

A red dot appears on her forehead

"Elena! Duck!"

"What?"

BANG

"Nooooooooo! Elena! God no!"

To be continued

• Like 1

yeah I got bored of this boring ass game before finishing it too, too much talky talky unskippable boring cutscenes, i could care less about the whole, contrived and opportunistic brotherly love backstory shite. that came completely out of nowhere and was riddled with plot holes

uncharted is a light hearted sarcastic action romp, this was a deep puddle of shit.

• Like 1

I don't care for a sequel with Cassie like some were hoping for, but I thought it was a good send-off for the franchise, or at least the games with Nate. The ending you described, while it sounds like something that would fit in, seems a bit too open-ended.

My only unpopular issue with UC4 was the brother being shoehorned in. 

2 hours ago, Lanky-Lemon said:

I'm surprised they even let Drake live in the end, especially after The Last of Us 2...

Overall I thought the ending was heartwarming and offered closure to a great series, especially enjoyed the nod to their original IP (Crash).

Get out with the TLOU2 complaining this has nothing to do with it, ffs are we going to draw parallel to every past and future ND title because of TLUO2?

U4 precedes TLOU2 by 4 years, development began in 2011. when TLOU 1 was in development. As an IP it is comparing a 35 year old to a 16 year old.

The question OP put up is interesting because he is one of the very few people who disliked the ending. Majority did not, I liked it, you liked it glad we agree - that was the subject of this thread.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lettmon said:

This is Uncharted we are talking about, not Gone Home or Life is Strange.

Idk how life is strange or gone home are relevant. Every uncharted ended in a happy way, and so did this one.

Edited by ChunkyKong64