The ending is very disappointing (May contain spoilers)

lettmon

Disappointing ending  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Disappointing ending

• Yes
    • No

21 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

Get out with the TLOU2 complaining this has nothing to do with it, ffs are we going to draw parallel to every past and future ND title because of TLUO2?

U4 precedes TLOU2 by 4 years, development began in 2011. when TLOU 1 was in development. As an IP it is comparing a 35 year old to a 16 year old.

The question OP put up is interesting because he is one of the very few people who disliked the ending. Majority did not, I liked it, you liked it glad we agree - that was the subject of this thread.

Damn reel it in a little? I thought the other major ongoing IP by the same company would make a good point of comparison.

Sorry I didn't enjoy the narrative of TLOU2, not everybody has to.

15 hours ago, ChunkyKong64 said:

Idk how life is strange or gone home are relevant. Every uncharted ended in a happy way, and so did this one.

he’s talking about games that require you to be able to read

Edited by DrBloodmoney

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

he’s talking about games that require you to be able to read

Haha, figured it was something like that

Edited by ChunkyKong64

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 11:04 AM, lettmon said:

I expected this series to end on a high note, but it was the complete opposite - it was very anticlimactic and it made me feel sad and I'm not even a Uncharted fan!

We are shown a new character - Drake and Elena's teenage daughter - and we have to walk her around - this would only work at the beginning of the game, but it's the end of the game and the whole series - we don't care about this character, we don't know anything about her and don't want to because the series will end any minute! And then the 'big deal' comes - the daughter learns about the Indiana Jones past of her parents - who cares?

How the ending should have been - Drake and co are sitting in the same beach by a table cracking the usual Uncharted jokes, laughing and sipping cocktails and remembering all the crazy things that happened to them - beautiful sunset - the end. That would have been a 100x better ending than what we got.

I gave a "Like" but I completely disagree with you. I finished the game for the first time in Hard, yesterday in Crushing, and, in my opinion, is a MASTERPIECE.

The pacing of the game mixing action, exploration and narrative. None of the of this fields is abused and results tedious. The story and its development is EXCELLENT, the boss fight is EPIC, and the ENDING is GREAT in order to close a franchise. The ending it's a MEMORIAL to the Uncharted series itself.

And sometimes, like going through LIbertalia, the happiness is not a destination, it's a travel. I mean, finding the Lost City and admiring the remains, and so on... The city and and other lost locations are a treasure itself. More than the Avery's treasure. 

This game, can be 10/10 easily. It is a SHAME that Game Awards gave the GOTY to Overwatch and not Uncharted 4. But ND's game was the OVERALL GOTY  2016.

Edited by stiviwonderstif

I suppose it could have been more impactful than it was, but I thought it was pretty good for what it was. I certainly wasn’t disappointed or anything. Any sadness I felt was more to do with the fact Drake’s journey had come to an end, as well as the franchise for the foreseeable future after that.

All in all, they did a pretty decent job with it, did right by the main characters, and I think they appeased the vast majority of fans with the ending they chose. There are certainly Naughty Dog games out there with WAY worse endings  ?

The OP must have skipped all the cutscenes for the ending to be disappointing. From the beginning, Nate doesn’t want to do another treasure hunt, but reluctantly agrees to do it to save his brother’s life.  Towards the end, when Sam bolts for the treasure, Nate tells him it was never about treasure but about saving him.
  The treasure pursuit portion of Nate and Elena’s life has concluded. They’ve done enough of that and they’ve moved on to focusing on family. The daughter character is introduced in the Epilogue, meaning additional information to conclude the story succinctly. We don’t need to know all about the daughter’s life, she’s a symbol of the new life path Nate and Elena have taken. Throughout the entire game, Nate talks about pursuing treasure vs. life with Elena and the second choice is the winner. The ending was a great way to show they were successful in that new objective. 
  On a personal level, my life motivation goals have changed from my 20s to my current age. My wife would say I’m still the same person, but our pursuits in life, (education, career, financial stability) have all changed.  Also, our responsibilities (family, children, mortgage, retirement savings)  have completely changed. Life’s motivations, challenges, responsibilities, pursuits, rewards will change over time. IMO, Uncharted 4 did a fantastic job of showing that theme with its storyline and especially the ending. If I can retire in the beach bungalow the Drake’s live in, I will be a very happy man!

Personally, I thought the ending was alright. It shows Nathan finally putting his past to rest and starting a new life as a family man. I always thought that was the problem with some games, they don't necessarily show the characters getting old over the series, and by the point, UC4 rolled around, Nathan was right at the point that he needed to retire from that lifestyle anyways (and he did until Sam pulled him back into it). So while Cassie may be a new character, if they do have her as the main character for the next Uncharted game, I hope they would treat the rest of the cast appropriately with Nathan in the role of Sully for Cassie. But then again considering how well TLOU2 went with most of the fans.....

Having him just sip piña coladas on a beach with everyone and laugh as the sun sets would've been a terrible ending in my opinion.

Naughty Dog probably wanted to put Nathan Drake's story to bed and provide closure so they could move on from a creative perspective as well. They can't have Nate chasing myths over and over without him growing as a believable character. And the way they did it in Uncharted 4 was executed well: his character evolves and learns an important lesson. His craving for adventure is established clearly in the first chapters with him shooting the props in the attic and daydreaming when he stares at the exotic landscape picture he has hanging in the living room. It emerges again early in the game after he starts helping out his brother, but in doing so, he starts keeping secrets from Elena, who happily settled and doesn't want to go back to that life.

The hotel scene is key here, because that's the point where Elena finds out and feels hurt she's been lied to. She provides the ultimatum, and that's when Nate gets his wake-up call. Nate still pursues the treasure because he's doing it to help his brother (or so he thinks), then it turns out Sam lied and is in cahoots with Rafe to find the ship blah blah blah, you know how it unfolds.

When they try to escape the island, you can see Nate has turned the page. He knows this treasure hunting is an obsession, a dangerous addiction. He has the hardest time trying to convince Sam of this, because he's been through the motions and doesn't want him to end up like him as well. Same reason why all the gold aboard the ship doesn't even bedazzle him - he doesn't care about it anymore, he cares about the safety of his loved ones. Making Nate settle with Elena for good and him telling their daughter about all the adventures they've been on, is a solid way to end this series of stories.

Uncharted is a highly successful franchise, so they're not killing off anything. The standalone game, Lost Legacy, is proof of that point: back when this came out, I felt this was a test run to record the audience's reception to an Uncharted with female leads, and Sam as a supporting character. Game was pretty damn good, actually, so my expectation is that you'll see a full-price PS5 Uncharted release in the near future, with these characters taking up the mantle. Chloe, Nadine and Sam will most likely continue the franchise from this point, which means the Uncharted brand is set for at least another five to ten years with new adventures.

Wouldn't be surprised if one is secretly in the works right now, in between The Last of Us productions. Because we all know after those sales, that we can expect The Last of Us Part III too somewhere down the line.

• Like 2

On 27/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, JoaLoft said:

Having him just sip piña coladas on a beach with everyone and laugh as the sun sets would've been a terrible ending in my opinion.

Naughty Dog probably wanted to put Nathan Drake's story to bed and provide closure so they could move on from a creative perspective as well. They can't have Nate chasing myths over and over without him growing as a believable character. And the way they did it in Uncharted 4 was executed well: his character evolves and learns an important lesson. His craving for adventure is established clearly in the first chapters with him shooting the props in the attic and daydreaming when he stares at the exotic landscape picture he has hanging in the living room. It emerges again early in the game after he starts helping out his brother, but in doing so, he starts keeping secrets from Elena, who happily settled and doesn't want to go back to that life.

The hotel scene is key here, because that's the point where Elena finds out and feels hurt she's been lied to. She provides the ultimatum, and that's when Nate gets his wake-up call. Nate still pursues the treasure because he's doing it to help his brother (or so he thinks), then it turns out Sam lied and is in cahoots with Rafe to find the ship blah blah blah, you know how it unfolds.

When they try to escape the island, you can see Nate has turned the page. He knows this treasure hunting is an obsession, a dangerous addiction. He has the hardest time trying to convince Sam of this, because he's been through the motions and doesn't want him to end up like him as well. Same reason why all the gold aboard the ship doesn't even bedazzle him - he doesn't care about it anymore, he cares about the safety of his loved ones. Making Nate settle with Elena for good and him telling their daughter about all the adventures they've been on, is a solid way to end this series of stories.

Uncharted is a highly successful franchise, so they're not killing off anything. The standalone game, Lost Legacy, is proof of that point: back when this came out, I felt this was a test run to record the audience's reception to an Uncharted with female leads, and Sam as a supporting character. Game was pretty damn good, actually, so my expectation is that you'll see a full-price PS5 Uncharted release in the near future, with these characters taking up the mantle. Chloe, Nadine and Sam will most likely continue the franchise from this point, which means the Uncharted brand is set for at least another five to ten years with new adventures.

Wouldn't be surprised if one is secretly in the works right now, in between The Last of Us productions. Because we all know after those sales, that we can expect The Last of Us Part III too somewhere down the line.

I can see another Uncharted. I can see, maybe, the series moving on with Chloe, Nadine, Sam and probably... Cassie. 

But I can not see another Uncharted made by Naughty Dog. I think they are focused on TLOU Part III and another IP.

If they are involved, somehow, is if they are decided to port, remaster, or remake, Golden Abyss. It is a shame that this game did not move from Vita. Another games from Vita, like Arkham Origins Blackgate or AC III Liberation, had a port for PS3. We will see.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion at least, this was pretty decisively the worst of the mainline Uncharted games: it runs about 3-4 hours too long, and the written story of Nate learning to mature, be less selfish in chasing thrills, and truly love Elena doesn't really track with what you actually do in the game (chase thrills and kill hundreds of dudes). I thought the first 3 games made a little more sense by being pretty straightforward silly fun action flicks. I thought they were more fun.

That said, it's not a bad game by any means, and I disagree with OP. For the story they are trying to tell, the ending is pretty poignant and sweet. More importantly, it gives a decisive sense of closure to the entire series, which is what the game is actually all about on a metaphorical level. There is nowhere left for the Drakes to go from here; they are finally content, and Nate has found the right balance between having fun adventuring and being a responsible, loving, and honest man.

Edited by JD-D2

On 05/02/2021 at 9:23 PM, Lanky-Lemon said:

I'm surprised

Hide contents

they even let Drake live in the end, especially after The Last of Us 2...

Overall I thought the ending was heartwarming and offered closure to a great series, especially enjoyed the nod to their original IP (Crash).

Maybe Druckmann felt weird about killing off a titular character he did not create. Uncharted is Amy Hennig's thing.

• Like 1