'Unwavering' trophy - What is recommended?

its_ArchroniX

So for the Unwavering trophy you either need to complete the campaign on Insanity difficulty or complete a 5 gold mission in Multiplayer.

Which of the two is recommended in your opinion (not necessarily the easiest way. I do like a challenge)?

I remember starting up an insanity playthrough a few months back and coming across one of those big beasts on the first planet (where you meet Peebee for the first time) and dying almost instantly. As I said  I like a challenge but there's a difference between a challenge and just not doing any damage whatsoever while getting one-shotted almost every time. I really liked Andromeda the first time I completed it but the Insanity playthrough made me quit the game in a very short time.

I should note, I don't have any friends that play this game so I can not create a fireteam to complete multiplayer missions. I always play with randoms.

Edited by its_ArchroniX

Personally I went with completing the game on Insanity as I had quite enjoyed Insanity difficulty in the 3 previous games. It’s been long enough that I have no recollection of how difficult it was however. Also I don’t know if it’s just your wording but it’s not ‘a’ 5 star gold mission, it’s ‘5’ gold missions. Unless you’re levelled up in the MP and can find a group to do it with then Insanity is the better option.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Personally I went with completing the game on Insanity as I had quite enjoyed Insanity difficulty in the 3 previous games. It’s been long enough that I have no recollection of how difficult it was however. Also I don’t know if it’s just your wording but it’s not ‘a’ 5 star gold mission, it’s ‘5’ gold missions. Unless you’re levelled up in the MP and can find a group to do it with then Insanity is the better option.

I editied it, thanks! Been a while since I booted up the multiplayer so didn't know if it was 5 star or not :P

I never played the original trilogy so I've no idea how 'hard' those were. I almost never played MP in Andromeda so I guess Insanity it is then.

I chose the Insanity way, as I went for the "Insanity" trophy at the same time, but I also played my share of the MP and could easily have earned the trophy with gold missions because after a while, they're the only ones you play anyway. With an OK team, it's not too bad, except I guess nowadays matchmaking must be pretty tough, and even on release I remember connection issues, where the host "left" like 30 or 40 minutes into the game, and you lost all progression by being kicked. Game froze sometimes, also.

If you're going for plat/100%, my advice would be playing on Insanity because of the other difficulty-related trophy, but also because this way you don't have to rely on other people.

• Like 1

I recommend the 5 gold matches.  If you want to play on Insanity for the challenge, then go for it, however playing online matches is faster, easier, and provides single player rewards.  On top of that, it makes the handful of online/strike team trophies that much easier and quicker to accomplish.  Plus the online is actually fun (imo), compared to most games where it's just an annoying grind.  I enjoyed the ME3 online more, but there are some positive changes with the MEA online.  To make things really easy, do a few matches with the human soldier on bronze and open basic packs and hope to rank up your soldier.  Once you get to level 10 (which shouldn't take long) and hopefully get at least a few ranks too, you should be able to upgrade your character enough to join random gold lobbies.  You will probably die a lot, but there's a lot of experienced players who still play gold daily, and if you find a lobby with some XX rank level 20 characters, they will easily carry you.  Gold matches also give a lot of credits and gold loot boxes for single player, so you can get some decent weapons.  I have a few URs like the Black Widow in single player because of online loot boxes.  The most important thing though, you have to extract for it to count.  If you die or go down right before the shuttle picks up, it doesn't count.  So make sure you are standing in the extraction zone on wave 7 and are actually still standing when that countdown hits 0.  If you go down right beforehand, press down on the D-pad to instantly revive yourself.  I've had to do that a couple times.  If you go down with like 20 seconds left, you can wait until 2-3 seconds left before reviving yourself (unless either your teammates revive you or an enemy comes over to execute you).

If you choose Insanity, good luck!  I recommend following priority missions and staying away from architects.  Not saying you can't do side content on Insanity, but you will die... a lot.  I did Insanity runs on all 3 games in the original trilogy and it wasn't that big of a deal, but I'm glad there's an alternative with this game.  It's way more fun playing on the easy difficulties, for me at least.  There's so much story [talking] and content [talking] and other things to do [like talking] that not having to get frustrated over countless deaths, especially ones that lead to redoing steps [aka - talking] is the better way to go.  This game does seem to save every 5 seconds and have about 1500 save files, so there's rarely any significant back-tracking, but there's a few spots where it's a big pain in the ass.

10 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

If you're going for plat/100%, my advice would be playing on Insanity because of the other difficulty-related trophy, but also because this way you don't have to rely on other people.

What other difficulty-related trophies?  Unwavering is the only difficulty-related trophy in the game.  Maybe you're thinking of the original trilogy?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

[...]

What other difficulty-related trophies?  Unwavering is the only difficulty-related trophy in the game.  Maybe you're thinking of the original trilogy?

Yeah, sorry about that, I got confused, what with the Legendary Edition being the talk of the town at the moment; missed it was about Andromeda... My bad.

[Even though also played this one on Insanity, and on which I spent countless hours farming gold missions in co-op :D]

10 hours ago, Beliar4 said:

Dunno how long is Insanity run in SP, but you wil get Unwavering in Mp in 1 hour maybe less.

Well the story takes approximately 25 - 30 hours. Taking in mind the difficulty is set to Insanity it might take somewhat longer depending on how much one dies (in my case, a lot probably).

Does it take 1 hour in MP from level 0 to the required level to even start a gold mission or does it take 1 hour to complete the mission 5 times? Cause the latter one seems more likely to me and considering I've have barely touched MP it will take longer than 1 hour.

12 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

If you choose Insanity, good luck!  I recommend following priority missions and staying away from architects.  Not saying you can't do side content on Insanity, but you will die... a lot.  I did Insanity runs on all 3 games in the original trilogy and it wasn't that big of a deal, but I'm glad there's an alternative with this game.  It's way more fun playing on the easy difficulties, for me at least.  There's so much story [talking] and content [talking] and other things to do [like talking] that not having to get frustrated over countless deaths, especially ones that lead to redoing steps [aka - talking] is the better way to go.  This game does seem to save every 5 seconds and have about 1500 save files, so there's rarely any significant back-tracking, but there's a few spots where it's a big pain in the ass.

As I said in my OP I tried Insanity but died a LOT on the very first planet where the giant monster comes out and attacks you and your crew. I constantly need to get out of gunfights, hide to recover and then repeat the process because I don't do enough damage and neither do my companions. I completed the game once already (pre-ordered it back in the day so that's a while ago) and had an absolute blast on an easier difficulty.

Thanks for your advice though! I might boot up multiplayer today and see what it's like. I almost never played multiplayer in MEA so might be fun :D

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 1

I was never a fan of the ME MP and didn't touch it in Andromeda except for the trophy for completing the training mission for MP. Personally, I looked up a build I was comfortable with and once I got used to it, Insanity NG+ was a complete breeze once I  adjusted to the difficulty curve (about 2-3 hours).

• Like 1

I'd go with NG+ Insanity as well. 

As stated above, find a good build ( found one on internet where i was invisible Sniper/Assault Rifle with regen life) and stay away from side quests. 

I usually don't like playing my games on harder diffuculties but I REALLY loved that playthrough. The learning curve is there and you'll need to think every fight, you can't go gun blazing here. At the end, i got a fantastic accomplishment feeling from that game and it still one of my favorite plat (unpopular opinion but don't care) 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, its_ArchroniX said:

Well the story takes approximately 25 - 30 hours. Taking in mind the difficulty is set to Insanity it might take somewhat longer depending on how much one dies (in my case, a lot probably).

Does it take 1 hour in MP from level 0 to the required level to even start a gold mission or does it take 1 hour to complete the mission 5 times? Cause the latter one seems more likely to me and considering I've have barely touched MP it will take longer than 1 hour.

Just join high apex players (that play daily) and they can carry you on gold even if you lvl 0. Im 75K apex can help aswell

• Like 1

Even with the MP being pretty dead (sub 50 players at peak hours) it still pretty easy to find a gold lobby with player who can carry you through 5 gold matches.

Just pick one of the human sentinels, play some bronze matches until you get it to level ten or so, use the credits you get to buy basic packs to level up your weapons, then try to get into some already in progress gold matches.

Now once you're in the gold match you actually have to survive and be in the extraction circle when the clock runs out on wave 7 for the extraction to count. 

Really shouldn't take longer than maybe 5 hours over the course of a few days.

Edited by Wavergray
  • Like 1

There is a hump to get over at the beginning on Insanity SP in NG, but you will improve in strength at a far greater rate than the enemy, so it will get easier as the campaign goes on. You will have access to more active skills and passive skill bonuses and the equipment and mods will level up as well. I made the mistake of just using found gear for awhile before messing with crafting. At the very least you should craft a piece of chest armor that compliments your build and stuff it full of kinetic coil augments. Each one adds +5 to damage resistance, which if you put coils in all 4 slots will reduce all damage taken by 17%. Chest armor is the only armor that can be augmented with kinetic coils. When you level up enough to gain access to the next research tier, deconstruct the chest armor and you will get some of the materials and all of the kinetic coils back in order to craft the next level of the armor. I chose the maverick chest as it has bonuses to weapon damage, weak point damage, and extra ammo. You also don't have to spend any milky way research data as the next level of the armor automatically appears in Development when you meet the level requirement.

Completing 5 Gold missions will rely on the kindness of strangers as it will take a decent investment in multiplayer to get a character that actually contributes to beating it, not just leeching off 3 other players.

• Like 1

I went for the SP Insanity run due to not having much interest in ME MP, imho it's nothing too bad.

Do it on NG+ with a decent build - look online for some tips on particular weapon combos you like to use. Long range rifles with high damage are a fairly easy way to cheese through just about anything by peaking corners and keep some tech/biotics that deal with armor and shields respectively. A powerful shotgun is also a good idea to help if you get swarmed.

All in all I rushed the campaign, main/required missions only and got it done is 10 or 12 hours skipping all cutscenes and stuff as it was my 3rd or 4th run in the same month the game came out.

Due to having everything already upgraded and done previously just stick to the main story missions and it's probably one of the easier ME Insanity campaigns. Certainly easier than ME2 and I would say maybe even easier than ME3 but not by much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/02/2021 at 2:18 PM, dadoudelidou said:

At the end, i got a fantastic accomplishment feeling from that game and it still one of my favorite plat (unpopular opinion but don't care) 

Mine too! The Insanity playthrough made this game for me. Especially the fight at the end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on what you are looking to do. I decided I was going to get it through MP. Surprisingly it is still populated enough to get 5 gold extractions. I found it to be quite fun also. I like co op mp better than competitive anyway.

MP is the quick way to do it. I hadn't even started a character in MP and managed to get the 5 gold and rank 20 in just 2 nights of playing it.

If you play through the game and then do a new game plus run - you can skip SO much of the game in your Insanity run. You can finish the game in like ~4 hours just doing only what you need. I started to try the MP and was met with higher level people who would vote to kick or drop out and only once even got a mission to start at the difficulty needed. Insanity run was way easier, faster, and also an unintentionally fun speed run challenge. 

• Like 1