PS5 physical copy

Alex_Beerson

Alright, so I love my trophies like everyone on here. My question is what is the purpose of buying a physical PS5 game that has a ps4 release as well. IE why would I pre-order a ps5 version of Farcry 6 when I can't play it on the ps4 to get an extra trophy set, but I can buy the PS4 physical version of the game and i can play the PS5 version at no additional cost? Long story short, since ps5 physicsl games can only be played on the ps5, why wouldn't I keep buying the ps4 physicsl version when I can play on both consoles? And as typing this, I know I can hit options on the game selected and choose my platform version (4 or 5) and play either one, but is that even an option when you pop in a physical ps4 game and choose which game version to play. I just didn't know if putting a 5 disc in the console unlocked the 4 and 5 version of the game when its physically in there. 

6 minutes ago, talespagni said:

Well, there are still people in this world who didn't buy a PS5 yet. Some of them don't intend to buy one, too.

So I think this answers your question.

That doesn't answer their question at all? They're asking why would you buy the PS5 version when the PS4 version includes the PS5 version for free. People who only have PS4 will obviously already be buying the PS4 version.

As for OP's question - most gamers probably sold their PS4 when they got a PS5, since they can still play most of their old PS4 games on PS5 anyway. Combine that with most gamers not caring about trophies, let alone stacking, and they have no reason to want the PS4 version of a PS5 game.

• Like 2

I was asking myself the same question as well. It is really just to have as many options for people as possible. Myself, I decided to start collecting steelbooks. Unfortunately there are no ps5 steelbooks available in my area if they even exist, so I buy the PS4 steelbook and rely on the free PS5 upgrade. I don't really buy physical games otherwise. You also have to remember that there is no cost difference between the PS4 and PS5 versions, so there is no downside to buying one or the other. Lots of people still don't have a PS5 console but when they finally get one they can take advantage of the upgrade. 

• Like 1

I will be buying the ps4 version of any new games if they include a free ps5 upgrade, gives you two games for the price of one and in some situations 2 platinums for the price of one. Also if my ps5 were to break, i'd be able to continue said game on my ps4. Unless you're an avid physical collector, makes no sense to buy the ps5 versions, as then you're missing out on the ps4 version for free.

Edited by t-H-3_d-O-u-G

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

I hear what you are saying but many of us have an ample backlog so no way are we playing any game 100% through twice just to get an extra platinum (and trophies).  Stacking is not for everyone, too little time.

So, I will be one who probably just gets Far Cry 6 on PS5 (discounted) as I only plan to play it on PS5 - and of course I want to play the better version of it.

Pretty much this for me. Only way I will play a game on PS5 that I previously played on PS4 is if it is a older game that has got a remaster and I'll be curious to see the upgrades. As far as new games go I will play the PS5 version only.

I bought cheap PS4 copies of both Maneater and Borderlands 3, I'll only play the PS5 versions of both. 

I'm a pretty big collector of the physical discs, so I'm favouring getting the PS5 version over the PS4. Plus- coupled with my lack of game time and ever increasing backlog, it's doubtful I'd plat the game twice if I was to get the PS4 version, so I'd rather just have the PS5 disc in the first place. 

If you're into having a physical collection, then having the PS5 version on disc and able to be installed locally instead of needing to be downloaded if you only have the PS4 disc is the main benefit to buying the PS5-specific release. If you're interested in multiple trophy lists or just see more value in getting two versions for the same price then it makes sense to opt for the PS4 disc.

Personally, when I get around to picking up a PS5, I'm intending on buying the PS4 versions of games that have free upgrades and then buying the PS5 physical versions on heavy discount years later for my collection.

I used to do physical copies only. However, I abandoned physical copy about 2 and a half years ago. I personally prefer the digital copies. I must state this- I do not like clutter, and have very bad OCD. Hence, why I now prefer the digital. It's also easier. You can switch games instantaneously on the PS5 digitally. It's also more convenient for me. If I pre order the game, it will be there and ready to go. Amazon doesn't always deliver in a timely fashion, even though I have Prime. I like the easy access to instant games. Also, unless I really love a game- after I platinum it, I won't ever go back to it anyway 

Edited by sealightbreeze

• 2 weeks later...

I think currently they're offering the free upgrades so why not buy the PS4 version, it's cheaper and gives you both versions

But maybe collector's would buy the PS5 version or someone who just wants the PS5 version and doesn't care for trophies.

It's up to the publishers of course but later on i think they'll start charging for upgrades so make use of it for now.

I can’t really see myself buying PS5 discs until such time as they stop offering free upgrades. The PS4 version is cheaper and gives me 2 versions if I wanted to stack it. If I don’t, I still have the PS5 version cheaper than it would be to buy it physically.

I would also think that the PS4 disc would retain more value for future sale since it gives you access to both versions.

Perhaps if the PS5 edition had a unique limited or bonus upgrade - like with Miles Morales, otherwise it seems like a no brainer to buy the PS4 version 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I can’t really see myself buying PS5 discs until such time as they stop offering free upgrades. The PS4 version is cheaper and gives me 2 versions if I wanted to stack it. If I don’t, I still have the PS5 version cheaper than it would be to buy it physically.

I would also think that the PS4 disc would retain more value for future sale since it gives you access to both versions.

Perhaps if the PS5 edition had a unique limited or bonus upgrade - like with Miles Morales, otherwise it seems like a no brainer to buy the PS4 version 

Couldn't have said it better. If the PS4 version is cheaper, I'll go for it

I'm of the same mindset. The PS4 version will not only be cheaper but the upgrade to PS5 will either be free or cost 1 cent like Nioh's. Unless they start doing what someone like Sega is doing with Judgment (Which itself looks like a downgrade over the PS4 version and costs full price to boot) it doesn't make sense to buy the PS5 version. I don't care about the stacking lists, but the fact that I have a game that works on both PS4 and PS5 is worth far more to me than a game that's only on PS5 and just has a different box/disk and will cost more. Why buy the remastered version of Nioh unless you want the entire collection on one disk? You can already import the Complete Edition for around $30 and then 2 + DLC is also only about $30. I guess it makes sense if you're brand new to the series to buy the PS5 collection but if you already own one of the two just get the other version for half the price of the full collection.

Only series i will plat twice and even 3 times is Resident Evil(i pre ordered RE8 PS4 and RE8 PS5 physical) , Sniper Ghost warrior,  Killzone, Evil within and if it is a really good game that i really enjoyed like cyberpunk 2077 and A plague tale innocence or  any other really good SP story driven game :) 

So if all these titles mentioned above gets physical copies, shut up and take my money :) 

On 2/8/2021 at 4:05 PM, Alex_Beerson said:

Long story short, since ps5 physicsl games can only be played on the ps5, why wouldn't I keep buying the ps4 physicsl version when I can play on both consoles?

As others have said, you do what you want to do.  There isn't really a wrong answer here.

Personally, I'm a physical collector.  My goal is to own a copy on disc usable without access to the internet, in the event I don't have access to the internet or PSN in general someday.  With the PS4 disc, while it's technically usable without the internet or PSN with backwards compatibility, I'd be stuck with the weaker version of the game since the PS5 copy would have to be downloaded.  It's ideal for me to have the PS5 version on disc and ready to go, and that's why I'm looking into transitioning to PS5 physical copies for the games that warrant it (ie. Control, since the PS4 has framerate issues, and Cyberpunk probably) and for new releases of course.

EDIT: Not to mention the PS5 physicals are more likely to be complete with DLC, updates, etc on disc as well since they are brand new prints with a brand new version/port of the game (even GOTY/Complete Edition PS4 releases are often just re-prints of the launch disc with voucher codes).  Another thing physical collectors tend to look for.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...