Unable to connect to Internet on PS3

MidnightDragon

I can't connect to the Internet on my PS3. It just tries to log on forever. Having no issues on any other devices. I can't get Ethernet in my room yet and I won't be able to for a couple months, but would like to try and fix this now. Also, having a long Ethernet cable from the living room to my room isn't feasible. I have a super slim if that matters. Does anyone have any tips to possibly help me out?

Edited by MidnightDragon

A lot of people have had this problem recently for some reason but the fix seems to be to login to the official site and generate a new device password then enter that as your PSN login ?. If that doesn't fix the problem, buy some Ethernet Plugs since then you will only need 2 very short Ethernet cables to connect your PS3 to your Router :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I can't connect to the Internet on my PS3. It just tries to log on forever. Having no issues on any other devices. I can't get Ethernet in my room yet and I won't be able to for a couple months, but would like to try and fix this now. Also, having a long Ethernet cable from the living room to my room isn't feasible. I have a super slim if that matters. Does anyone have any tips to possibly help me out?

What's your WiFi connection percentage shown on PS3?

PS3 WiFi is garbage, could be the main reason.

In case you can't use a direct ethernet cable to ps3, you could try a WiFi extensor (poor solution), bring a cable to an intermediate point 2nd router between the main router and your ps3 (best solution i'd say), or using a powerline adapter to transmit your internet through the electrical outlets (worked decently for me before I finally bought a 30m ethernet cable, however my model was limited at 35mbps or so, should be enough for ps3).)

29 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

The "generate a new device password then enter that as your PSN login" advice above is solid. Try that first.

As far as ethernet cables, pick up an affordable one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Computer-Network-Adapters/

They should all outperform anything except higher end routers.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The "generate a new device password then enter that as your PSN login" advice above is solid. Try that first.

As far as ethernet cables, pick up an affordable one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Computer-Network-Adapters/

They should all outperform anything except higher end routers.

I've used those for years now and the modern ones are pretty good :).

• Like 1

Glad you fixed it. For future reference, if you're not able to connect to internet, that's your WiFi or internet service provider. If it's to PSN, it's because you have enabled the 2-step notification and you can only log in by generating a "new device password" on your PSN account. 

You can always just disable the 2-step feature and you can use your normal password on PS3.

• 2 weeks later...