Ubi's Best Open-World Game?

mikeygjr007

I've been playing through Fenyx and I'm fresh off the heels of playing (and platinuming lol) Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion, and I wanted to hear some other thoughts and opinions about these 3 games. I personally think Fenyx might be the best of the 3 games to have come out, with Assassin's Creed 2nd and Watch Dogs 3rd. Even though they all have their strong points and flaws, I'm still amazed by their apparent lack of reservation in releasing 3 huge games nearly at the same time!

So what do y'all think? Have you played the other Ubi games? Let me know!

• Like 4

Same here, haven't played the other 2 (have the plat for AC:Origins if that helps lol) but I have been keeping a close eye on Immortals to go on sale again! I just missed the sale by 2 days last time around and refuse to pay $60 for any game period. The game looks absolutely exquisite ?

• Like 1

Definitely, it's much more cohesive, less grindy and just more enjoyable than their other games. Valhalla seemed like a slog, but in Immortals I often though "wow, I played already X hours, wtf?" when saving  my game. Definitely reccomend. Shame people are not THAT interested in it, many write it off as BoTW rip off or just think it's bad based on more stylized character designs

• Like 2

I don't play Ubisoft games but I got Valhalla and Immortals in a Xmas deal from target. I normally wouldn't have gotten Valhalla but you had to pick two.

Immortals was my GOTY. I loved pretty much every minute aside from some cheap and frustrating deaths in a few Tartorus pits. 

I had no glitches or bugs at all, and I played about 80 hours.

Valhalla I haven't even started because all I hear about is bugs and glitches that are STILL prevalent. I'm playing through everything I've got waiting for it to be fixed enough to start. That should say a lot about the quality, haha.

• 1 month later...

Well, it is very ubisoftish in many ways though. The grind for plat (although it is far easier and manageable than for the newest AC games) was pretty much a chore. However, Fenyx respects your time more than any other Ubisoft game. Although you pretty much do the same thing in the entire game it doesn't get quite old, perhaps 'til very last few hours. It is actually a good take on greek myth with BOTW style gameplay however some vaults just do not support tight controls and yet there are still very tight platforming sequences as if the game tries to be Super Mario instead. Also, puzzles are either too dumb or too complex and repetitive as could be thought. Still, it surpasses both Valhalla and Legion for me, easily. 

Regarding the 3 you mention, it isn't close for me - Fenyx Rising is by far the best.

Regarding Legion, it was very disappointing. This is a shame, as I loved Watch Dogs 2 (didn't play 1). Legion bad voice acting, inconsistent tone, weird bugs/glitches, bad story, boring activities -  this game-breaking glitch which forced a 2nd playthrough didn't help - https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2294994-Persistent-massive-lag-continuous-stuttering. It's a game-breaking bug affecting hundreds on Xbox for several months since launch, I can't believe they haven't fixed it yet.

Regarding Valhalla, my fiancee and I played it for 60 hours - finishing main quest line and taking turns over that time. I liked it, best AC of the "new generation" of AC games. I have the least mileage with Valhalla of all 3 games you mention, because I basically just played every now and then on her account when she was stuck or when it was side-quest related stuff, but I saw or played every moment of the main story and a lot of side stuff. It's great, but I rate Fenyx much higher. 

Fenyx has so much going for it. Visually it is absolutely stunning, gameplay is fun, has a nice balance of side activities that are fun and engaging, great puzzle mechanics and a nice balance of humour (something I was concerned about during promo). The DLC isn't good, but the base game is absolutely fantastic. Really hope they do a 2nd game.

On this note, I'd go as far as to say it's the 2nd best Ubisoft IP... period. I'm a huge Far Cry fan, so personally I don't think it's better than 3 - 5 (although others may disagree). However Immortals blew me away, so I'd say it's up there for the best open-world games they've made full stop.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Maybe I'm out of touch... played all three titles, 

1st  ACV - Platinumed. Buggy as hell, was salty for a while as trophies were broken... but ultimately I like the historical period and I don't mind the combat shift from the originals.  

2nd Fenyx - In progress on ps5,  axe combat with stuns is fun.  

3rd WDL - par game. Platinumed, but was disappointed, as this just got boring quick.  I actually preferred WD1 in the series, even with the drinking game.

• 3 weeks later...

No, this doesn't come close to topping Valhalla and Valhalla is my least favorite of the new style games. I have Watch Dogs Legion, but haven't played it yet. 

Immortals is a good first attempt, and I really enjoy the humor and the characters and the world they built. But this game gets so overly repetitive and happens very quickly. They leaned too hard into the puzzles IMO, I don't mind that they're there...but it's just constantly puzzle after puzzles for hours upon hours on end...the New God DLC is the absolute worst DLC I've played in a while.  I don't like the controls at all, and most of the combat just drags after awhile. 

I'll play a sequel if it gets one, and hopefully they improve some things, tone down the puzzle solving and lean harder into the lore and story, and I think a sequel could really be a killer franchise maker. 

Edited by Viper

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got 100% on the game. What a PAIN. Really the base game was very average but still decent. Just way too repetitive and the Tartaros vaults were very boring and annoying, seriously who likes to spend 7-8 hours rolling boulders or moving crates through lasers .... But at least the world was colourful.

And then came the DLCs ..... The first DLC was garbage, barely no story and nothing but vaults ..... 10 hours of solving the same mysteries than in the base game ......

The second DLC was short but quite good, it actually had a solid story and few changes in the gameplay.

And finally the worst piece of game I have played this year (and I played some really trash games like Captain Tsubasa and Man Eater) : The Lost Gods DLC. Really nothing fun about that. It's no longer a Zelda BOTW-like but more a Diablo-like with a shitty camera you can't move up so you never know where you should climb up a hill or where  the damn chest you are looking for is located. You can't lock the enemy anymore and you sometimes have to deal with 20+ enemies at a time so you just end up smashing buttons like an idiot cause that works best. You no longer have the slowmotion perk when you do a perfect dodge. And cherry on the cake you can't save whenever you want .... you got to find an altar and use some figs ..... absolutely pathetic DLC.

Honestly if you are really into this kind of game, stick to the base game. The Season pass is a waste of time and money.