[NA] Big in Japan sale (Ends Feb. 25)

NathanielJohn

Will definitely go for Steins;Gate 0 and Psycho-Pass. What else would someone recommend if I told that I'm a big fan of 428: Shibuya Scramble/Danganronpa and I'm looking for some niche plot-based type od games (visual novels mainly, but not only), which aren't 300h long (Persona 5 is enough for me, I'm planning to catch up with Royal & Strikers in summer)? 

21 minutes ago, princefan2407 said:

Will definitely go for Steins;Gate 0 and Psycho-Pass. What else would someone recommend if I told that I'm a big fan of 428: Shibuya Scramble/Danganronpa and I'm looking for some niche plot-based type od games (visual novels mainly, but not only), which aren't 300h long (Persona 5 is enough for me, I'm planning to catch up with Royal & Strikers in summer)? 

I'd recommend the Zero Escape series - you can always use a guide for the puzzles if you need. Great story.

I would NOT recommend Psycho-Pass. I found it rather awful. It was also a free game on PS+, maybe you've added it to your library in the past?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, darkalphar said:

Surely it couldn't hurt to include Atelier DX titles to sales like this? They rarely go on sale, and last time any of them went on sale was in 2019, I think?

I'm specifically waiting for the dusk trilogy.

They never go on sale even Ryza didn't drop much. PS Now has a few of them though.

53 minutes ago, princefan2407 said:

Maybe AI The Somnium Files or Root Letter? Psycho pass was boring couldn't even finish it.

52 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I wonder why The Legend of Heroes games aren't getting bigger discounts. The Tales of Berseria-Vesperia are a steal at these prices

Actually, I find this sale to be pretty dumpy in general. Lots of prices are higher than previous sales of the same game. 

I guess this happens when you have wall-to-wall sales the way Sony has been doing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, princefan2407 said:

I can tell you that you should NOT get Kotodama. You might see that P-Qube publisher when you look at it, but don't be fooled. That game is complete shit.

As for the ones you mentioned, Steins;Gate 0 is another that I didn't care for (although it's leaps and bounds beyond Kotodama), though others like it a lot. Psycho Pass was OK, but not great, and if you care about the plat, the puzzle game can be really annoying (though you can't fail to get the trophy, as you can just keep grinding out the easiest rounds over and over). Best of luck in finding a good one.

Edited by starcrunch061

2 hours ago, princefan2407 said:

If you liked Danganronpa, then there's a high chance that you'll like the Zero Escape series. Both have a similar killing game concept, though Zero Escape has a more "escape room" premise. Zero Escape's a lot more bleaker in tone too. And if you end up liking Zero Escape, you can try out the director's other work, AI: The Somnium Files.

And if you liked 428, I wholeheartedly recommend 13 Sentinels. Just like 428, you play as multiple  different characters and have the option to tackle the characters' stories in your own order. 13 Sentinels is a lot more non-linear in structure, and it can get pretty confusing with the sheer amount of plot points you'll get thrown at you simultaneously, but piecing together the story is part of the fun. And because of its brisk pacing, there's always something important going on in every moment. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shurax_Urden said:

Anyone could recommend me any “unknown” japanesse (not talking about monster hunter, dark souls ...) game that is good in this sale that is not a visual novel?

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

My favorites in there are Gabbuchi (puzzle), Yomawari (creepy survival?) and the two Cat Quest games (action rpg).

• Like 2

I ended up grabbing 13 Sentinels, Sakura Wars and Death end re;Quest 2. These were on my to-play list this year already, so i'm super happy i could get them at a discount.

5 hours ago, darkalphar said:

Surely it couldn't hurt to include Atelier DX titles to sales like this? They rarely go on sale, and last time any of them went on sale was in 2019, I think?

I really want to give the series a try, but it's way too expensive. I don't think i've ever seen the Atelier games on sale in general.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I really want to give the series a try, but it's way too expensive. I don't think i've ever seen the Atelier games on sale in general.

They do get on sale once a year or so. You can look at psprices to get an idea: Here's Totori for example: https://psprices.com/region-ca/game/2592221/atelier-totori-the-adventurer-of-arland-dx

3 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Assault Suit Leynos is an excellent game and 4 bucks is a steal

Yep, I noticed and picked it and Thumper.

2 hours ago, visighost said:

My favorites in there are Gabbuchi (puzzle), Yomawari (creepy survival?) and the two Cat Quest games (action rpg).

The 2 Cat Quest games are really interesting, but there's a physical version with both.

6 hours ago, darkalphar said:

See the price of the Vita versions which will never again go on sale. Some of the PS3 ones can be bought on disk, but these nope.

The Big in Japan was a few years ago the best sale of the year. It's no longer and most of the stuff on it has been at the same or better prices lately. And it's stupid that NA and Euro sales are basically the same games, with minimal price changes.

For those wanting a quick plat, Marooners is on sale in Asian stores for less than 1€ / US$. Buggy but can be done. There's also a lot of interesting stuff there under 2€ / US$, and I don't mean Ratalaika / Eastasia junk.

Edited by cris3f