"Multiplayer" trophies

PilloTheStar

You wanna know what burns my rubber?

Multiplayer achievements. Specifically, achievements that you're awarded with by playing a game with other people, either online or in person. Playing with other people is all well and good, but I'd rather all trophies be obtainable through my own efforts, rather than being reliant on whether I'm with other people or not (or whether I've spent my money more than one controller).

Sometimes with these, you can cheese it by quite literally playing with yourself (ex: using alt accounts for the "beat a friend's score" trophies in Rayman legends). Unlike trophies I get by simply playing a game left to my own devices, doing this is not fun. It feels more like a chore than something I've accomplished. 

Even worse are ones you can't cheese, and actually need multiple hands doing multiple things at once (ex: the "Sonic Heroes" trophy in team sonic racing). 

I understand why they exist, but I feel like putting them in the same area as single player trophies (needing them all for a platinum) makes the whole experience unfulfilling. That's just me though.

How bout you? What multiplayer trophies gave you a hard time? 

• Like 1

If a trophy can be boosted, it's not much of an issue. I for one didn't have trouble with the Sonic Heroes trophy as an example. However, trophies that require you to be good at online are the fucking worst thing on earth. I'm talking get 530,000BP in ranked in Dragon Ball FighterZ, 3 wins in a row in Fall Guys or become the king in The Elder Scrolls Online (which is like a 100 hour grind in a week, for multiple people, only for one person to get the trophy).

One thing is to get good at a game and beating a difficult challenge (e.g. Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Complete the final stage without taking damage or beat a game on the highest difficulty) another thing is being in a certain top percentage of players online. Whenever I see any achievment like that, I almost start vomitting :( 

Personally, I don't mind asymmetrical multiplayer trophies, like the 'beat a friend's score' type, as those suit my gaming habits well enough - Those I can do at my leisure. - Unless, of course, it's the Lost Planet 2 type. Be the top in the world leaderboard? That just seems ludicrous.

I tend to avoid multiplayer games like CoD or Battlefield now though - not because I hate those kind of games, but simply because I have a family, and life means I may have to pause and run and do something at a moment's notice, letting my team down, and organising a time when I will be uninterrupted is a rarity now.

It's the ones for tacked-on multiplayers on single player games that really boil my piss though - especially if they are added ad dlc. Far Cry 5 for example, has one dlc pack that pretty much requires multiplayer to get, or Resident Evil 5 with it's pretty dull added-on multiplayer, and so with those ones, I feel a bit more swindled out of my 100% after the fact.

On the other hand though, that's more a case of my life getting in the way of my completion, rather than the game. I guess some people worked hard on creating those multiplayer modes - even the ones I didn't like - and so it's only right there should be some trophies associated with them. They are a part of the game after all - even if, in some cases, it's a part I don't want to engage with!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I’m not a hardcore completionist so I wouldn’t say they anger me, but I have avoided games in the past where the majority of trophies were multiplayer. If it’s just a couple, I don’t mind going for them or not achieving them, but if the whole set is obscurely multiplayer and requires strange boosting sessions, I may just pass.

But in games like Wipeout HD, I was kind of proud to have participated in a round with many people coordinated across several time zones to get the trophy for everyone racing the same car skin or whatever. Made me feel special and that platinum that much more rewarding.

On 2/10/2021 at 5:13 AM, PilloTheStar said:

I'd rather all trophies be obtainable through my own efforts, rather than being reliant on whether I'm with other people or not.

This is what bothers me, as well. The worst example I can recall: sending "heart for heart" messages to dozens of people for a Little Big Planet trophy—it worked, but I felt like a needy pest.

There's also the fact that I'm currently on one of the worst Internet connections in the US, which precludes me from playing most MP modes period.

• Like 1

I hate them as well, as I only play solo and never ever play online or multiplayer. I also live alone so local multiplayer trophies are 100% impossible for me as none of my friends play the same games as me and most are casual gamers anyway, none of them even have one platinum and one of my friends didn't even know what trophies were despite having a PS4.... 

I have avoided games that have online trophies because I hate online, as for local multiplayer I have two controllers and would only get the game if I could play as both players like in Beyond Two Souls where it just switches between Jodie and Aiden. 

• Like 1

I don't really mind MP trophies.  They tend to add some longevity to a game, and invite you to try out a game's online modes, which most people here wouldn't do if there were no MP trophies in said game.

If it's a tacked-on MP component, as in the case of Batman Arkham Origins or Tomb Raider 2013, then I don't think any of us would have been sad not to get trophies for those modes, as those games should have been purely single player.  Games like Uncharted 2 and 3 only had 2 MP trophies required for their platinums, and yet people still complained about that.

Some trophies, like for topping a leaderboard or for getting 10,000 MP kills, are thankfully few and far between these days - they were somewhat commonplace in the early PS3 games, but luckily they seem to have largely (but not completely) stayed there.  Twisted Metal on PS3 had a trophy for winning a ranked match every day for 30 consecutive days - believe me, it wasn't as easy as it might sound.  A large part of LittleBigPlanet is being able to create your own levels and share them with other players, so it makes sense that those games would have a number of trophies designed around interacting, directly or indirectly, with other players.

Fighting games tend to have a fair number of online trophies attached, which is to be expected, given their ability to pit two players against one another in combat.  The Hitman games on PS4, however, have the faintly ridiculous caveat that you have to be connected to PSN at almost all times for your in-game progress to be saved, despite their being single-player games at heart.

So.... generally, I'm fine with MP trophies.  If they're crazy ones, then I probably won't bother with them, but the vast majority can usually be fairly easily obtained if you buddy up with someone.  You get to play a side of the game that you might normally neglect, and you might even make some friends along the way.  A couple of my PSN friends have been on my friends list for over a decade now, and we still chat and play to this day.

And, at the end of the day, if you don't like MP trophies, then just don't do them.

At first I didn't like multiplayer because early on when I started trophy hunting I lived out in the country with poor internet connection, so I wasn't able to do stuff like Red Dead Redemption without having a lot of hiccups. Unfortunately due to the COVID-19 pandemic and low funds I had to move with family that lives a bit out of town, so I have slow internet, but it is a little better than what I had before.

I did the Team Sonic trophy on the PS3 version of Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed that requires no less than four controllers for two people and two controllers for one person. This is definitely an example of multiplayer that I greatly despise as the trophy designers were just dicking with the trophy hunters.

The late era PS4 and current era PS5 generation games are a lot more relaxed when it comes to multiplayer trophies. In the past you had stuff like Far Cry 2 which required 16 players to be in a multiplayer lobby, and earning the awards in Battlefield: Bad Company 1 which required a lot of preparation. The games that are multiplayer centric like Fall Guys, Fortnite and Overwatch are basically centered on multiplayer, the people buying and playing these games know what to expect. Ubisoft ditched multiplayer starting with Syndicate as they started to realize it was pretty unnecessary for the Assassin's Creed franchise. There was a popular trend a decade ago where mostly single player games had a tacked on multiplayer mode, that required multiple people to earn all the multiplayer trophies. It was the same deal with Xbox and Xbox Achievements, the Halo and Gears of War franchises both had a lot of multiplayer even though you could completely ignore it and enjoy the single player just fine.

I will be boosting Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on the PS3 soon which will be my biggest partaking of multiplayer yet in terms of trophies. Red Dead Redemption took a lot of work but there are still active players in that game so finding and creating boosting sessions isn't bad at all. I have PS App and Discord for multiplayer boosting.

Personally, I don't partake in multiplayer much at this point, only going on if I need to boost some trophies or if I'm trying out a game on Steam. The days of me playing MMORPGs and paying an absurd subscription fee are pretty much over, as PS Plus and PS Now are far better with so much more to offer.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:47 PM, StewartBros said:

Fighting games tend to have a fair number of online trophies attached, which is to be expected, given their ability to pit two players against one another in combat.  The Hitman games on PS4, however, have the faintly ridiculous caveat that you have to be connected to PSN at almost all times for your in-game progress to be saved, despite their being single-player games at heart.

Fighting games always had a multiplayer component dating back to the old arcade days. I actually have Street Fighter V from PS Plus that I decided to try out, but I'll be damned if I get that gold ranking in that competitive multiplayer mode that unlocks a gold trophy respectively. I'm generally bad at fighting games.

HITMAN 1 on the PS4 can be done entire solo, but a couple of the trophies for HITMAN 2 require an online partner, so there is a little multiplayer involved. The old Hitman games from the PS2/PS3 could be done entirely single player. Hitman Absolution on the PS3 can't be done anymore as there were online trophies but they only needed an online connection. They re-released it on the PS4 which doesn't have the online trophies, thought about picking it up at some point.

• Like 1

In principle I think they're fine. Trophies should be a good representation of what there is to experience in a game. I like many others here prefer single player but that's not everyone and there should be trophies that reflect accomplishments for playing online. Like others mentioned, I find it annoying when a primarily single player game has tacked on multiplayer and trophies to go with it. I just recently started getting into trophy hunting and am trying to go back to games I started a long time ago but never finished like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and AC: Black Flag. Of course both have a few online trophies that will require a bit of a grind. The online communities are obviously dead so boosting is the only way to go. Plus there's the risk of the servers being shutdown one day which is another flaw with online trophies.

Overall, I think they have their place in the right games or when done in moderation.

Ones that you can get from general play (Get to a certain level, get x amount of kills with a particular weapon etc) are usually fine with me, as long as the player base is good and the target isn't too grindy or stupid. Friday the 13th's "Play 1000 games as Jason" is an example of that stupidity.

What can get a bit annoying is trophies that rely on the enemy team playing a particular way so are more luck based. Pretty much most of the ones in Overwatch are like this. For some characters, it's easy but others have very little hope as it requires a perfect storm of things to be right in order to stand a chance of getting the trophy.

Personally, I think any game that has an online mode should have bot support so it can still be played when the servers go down.