arcanehornet_

Whatever happened to the Burnout franchise?

14 posts in this topic

There has not been a single game since 2009’s Burnout Paradise. What happened to this series?

most of the Dev's ended up working on Need for Speed games

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

most of the Dev's ended up working on Need for Speed games

This^

Also, a few of the people who didn't end up on Need for Speed, went to work for Hello Games and helped with No Man's Sky and The Last Campfire.

Probably wasn't making enough money for EA's liking

12 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Probably wasn't making enough money for EA's liking

This^

Whilst the PS3 version of BP made a ton of cash, the PS4 version was a dud and Burnout: CRASH! didn't do well either so the series went bye-bye.

5 minutes ago, Studfox said:

I could definitely go for a Burnout 3: Takedown remaster. The Paradise remaster was a nice trip down memory lane but Burnout 1-3 would be a nice trilogy remaster.

YES YES HELL YES. Would buy in an instant. But I doubt it will happen.

I would love to see remasters of all the old games especially takedown and revenge

2 hours ago, arcanehornet_ said:

There has not been a single game since 2009’s Burnout Paradise. What happened to this series?

It's collecting dust is EA's IP vault, just like Black, Command & Conquer, Dead SpaceMercenaries, The Saboteur, SimCity, Skate, SSX & many others. EA doesn't care about the franchises that aren't Need For Speed, Battlefield or The Sims. It's sad but true...

Edited by kenseizenkai

1 hour ago, Studfox said:

I could definitely go for a Burnout 3: Takedown remaster. The Paradise remaster was a nice trip down memory lane but Burnout 1-3 would be a nice trilogy remaster.

I never played those, but hopped on the Burnout wagon with Paradise and really liked it, and have heard nothing but good stuff about the earlier games- I would certainly be interested in a polished up trilogy like that.

Has there ever been trilogies of non-story based games released as remasters like that though?

Generally they have been more the character-based, story driven type stuff (Prince of Persia / AC Ezio Trilogy / Jak & Daxter / Sly Cooper / Spyro / Crash Bandicoot / R&C etc.) - I struggle to recall if there has been that type of remaster package for a sports / racing type game...?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

6 hours ago, kenseizenkai said:

It's collecting dust is EA's IP vault, just like Black, Command & Conquer, Dead SpaceMercenaries, The Saboteur, SimCity, Skate, SSX & many others. EA doesn't care about the franchises that aren't Need For Speed, Battlefield or The Sims. It's sad but true...

Oh hell BLACK! I could kiss you, I completely forgot about that game. I was asking my brother the other day about the game that was a solo campaign and played like Black Ops but came out in the mid-2000's. 

Complete tangent from the topic at hand but in the vein of single player campaign focused remasters I would kill for Black and Star Wars: Republic Commando.

8 hours ago, Alderriz said:

EA happened.

Like people said, Burnout was abandoned after EA decided to assign NFS to Criterion. Some key devs left a couple of years later and started their own studio Three Fields Entertainment and have made several games. Danger Zone and Dangerous Driving are basically low budget spiritual successors to Burnout.

I really wish they'd just do a kickstarter for a proper Burnout successor instead of some of the half assed entrees they've been putting out - like Dangerous Driving was good, but had so many issues and got so frustrating later into the game that it really does not make me excited for 2, especially since it seems to be following the usual 'one year between releases' formula.