Criminally Underrated Games?

Trumpet_Boi_208

One game I'd mention is the Tomorrow Children - while it was a bizarre mix of gameplay elements and not honestly the best, it was so eccentric and stylish that I was quite sad when the servers went down. I used an avatar from it on PSN for a while. Definitely didn't deserve to die that quickly as a PS exclusive free game.

Honestly, every other good PSVR game counts for this; PSVR as a platform has not gotten the most love, and a lot of its good games go unnoticed. No Heroes Allowed! VR is a fun game where you listen to an evil overlord and his daughter chat while you command his forces, it's very short and sweet but a great PSVR experience. Bow to Blood is a... airship game? with survivor-esque voting mechanics that most people on PSNP seem to not even have gotten past the tutorial for - you command a ship doing events, helping AI competitors to earn their favor so as to ensure that you get into the final three.

For non-PSN titles, I'd say Super Paper Mario - I adored playing that game as a kid. While I'm sure it's not like the other Paper Mario games, which is why it's hated, the game was so colorful and fun, and the 3D stuff was extremely creative. The characters and story were fantastic as well. Probably one of my favorite Nintendo games of all time, and I'm deeply disappointed that it isn't remembered in a better light.

Advance Wars, as a series, never got the love it deserved - I held onto my 3DS for ages just to play Advance Wars. I honestly will probably never play a Fire Emblem game because of it killing off Advance Wars as a more popular franchise. Even Days of Ruin, while weird, was innovative and a great addition to the series.

Another non-PSN game - Magical Starsign. A fantastic, beautiful DS RPG about a bunch of kids from a magic school travelling through space. The writing was great, the characters were all unique and interesting, and the plot, while silly and charming, was simultaneously morbidly dark, a mix I adore. One of the big reasons I liked Ikenfell so much was that it was reminiscent of this gem of a game.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:54 PM, PixelHelix said:

I always say Battle Chasers: Nightwar when asked this question.

I absolutely love that game and never understand why it didn't get more attention.

Ooh, it's on PS Now - I've been meaning to properly start it for a while - I played it for like an hour before it got lost in my backlog. Maybe when I have the funds to resubscribe. I do like the style and the characters.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:04 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Nice to see a lot of love for this game on here - I really liked it.

I wonder if part of the reason it got overlooked is that title?

"A Plague Tale: Innocence" is so close to all those iOS / Artifex Mundi type picture hunt games that it could be easily glossed over.

I remember a ~year or so ago (maybe more) people couldn't shut up about that game. Definitely has died down lately, but I wouldn't say it's an underrated game.

• Like 4

Provisionally, here are some titles. I got all of these in the recent sales and can't fathom why they're not more popular:

Maitetsu: Pure Station - A great VN with gorgeous graphics and a decent story, though it's very much a Marmite affair you're either going to love or absolutely hate.

House Flipper - This is up there with NMS, IMO, in terms of sheer chillax entertainment that will take your mind off the real world.

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories - I'm at a complete loss with this one. Graphically it's nothing special but the story and gameplay are well worth the price of admission.

Fossil Hunters - This is essentially a Children's game but has more than enough fun, depth and strategy to also appeal to adults.

Sagebrush - This a terrifying game that's inspired by true events and shows just how dangerous, cults can be. It will only take 1-1.5hrs to finish with a Guide so the full asking price is a tad excessive for what you get but at £2-3 it's well worth getting :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 3

Neon Abyss - deeper than it first looks, gets hard in places too

Children of Morta - lovely game, tight mechanics, varied classes, highly recommended

Swords of Ditto - lovely couch coop game, me and my wife put in a load of hours

Salt and Sanctuary - nice twist on the soulsborne in 2d 

Motorstorm RC - a perfect "one more go" game, excellent game to compete with friends (time trails etc)

• Like 3

Rage 2011, without a doubt. Very enjoyable experience if you could look past the generic story and lackluster ending. Really hope we see a remaster on PS5. Game was running at native 720p 60fps on PS3. One of the very few 3rd party games that ran great in the PS3 era.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

One of the best games I've ever played hands down. Everything about the game is perfect in my opinion. The mysterious story, the landscape, the music and the overall style of the game are just incredible! A lot of people dislike 'walking simulators' but this game made me change my mind about them and I can never forget this game!

A friend of mine, for example, who doesn't have the patience to play a game where there's no combat, no real sense of danger and all you can do is walk around and fit the pieces of the puzzle together yourself would think I'm a complete idiot for considering this game a favourite over big games I've completed Like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty or something. He doesn't see the absolute beauty of this game and the details the developers put in it!

The game might not be as underrated as some other PS4 walking sims found in the store (like Ether One, Virginia or Kona) but I think the game doesn't get enough credit for what it is.

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, its_ArchroniX said:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

One of the best games I've ever played hands down. Everything about the game is perfect in my opinion. The mysterious story, the landscape, the music and the overall style of the game are just incredible! A lot of people dislike 'walking simulators' but this game made me change my mind about them and I can never forget this game!

A friend of mine, for example, who doesn't have the patience to play a game where there's no combat, no real sense of danger and all you can do is walk around and fit the pieces of the puzzle together yourself would think I'm a complete idiot for considering this game a favourite over big games I've completed Like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty or something. He doesn't see the absolute beauty of this game and the details the developers put in it!

The game might not be as underrated as some other PS4 walking sims found in the store (like Ether One, Virginia or Kona) but I think the game doesn't get enough credit for what it is.

I absolutely loved that game, and agree that it remains the pinnacle of the 'Walking Sim' genre, and (along with Dear Esther and Gone Home) the best argument for the validity of that genre.

Hearing arguments that "IT's NoT a gAmE" from fools who believe knives or bullets are a prerequisite to having fun is always laughable, and casts aspersions solely on the arguer, not the game.

I suspect the same person would most likely dismiss some of my favourite, more quiet, introspective films, like The Seventh Seal or Meloncholia, or The Sweet Hearafter, as "NoT a mOvIe" as they settle down to watch some Jerry Bruckheimer camera-spinning explosion-fest or James Cameron cocaine-fueled nightmare.

I think Everybody's Gone to the Rapture had a similar effect on me as it did you.

It not only affected me as I played it - It slightly - but permanently - altered what I expected of games going forward.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Not joking: Fall Guys.

The backlash around the Infallible Trophy made most people forget/not realize how amazing and funny this game is.

Not sure I would say Fall Guys is underrated. It's the most downloaded game on PS+ of all time and millions of people own it on other platforms. 

I have to add my vote for A Plague Tale: Innocence. It's a shame this game isn't more well-known, it's a true masterpiece. 

Paper Beast is another absolutely fantastic game and I'm glad more people will get to play it since it's on Play at Home. It has an amazing athmosphere and puzzles. 

Might be controversial but I stand by that Mass Effect: Andromeda is a fantastic game and it does not deserve the hate it got.

I've seen some people say Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard is boring but I have to disagree. I've had a lot of fun with it, it just takes time to get used to controls.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2021 at 4:26 AM, ginger252bread19 said:

Batman Arkham Origins is my favorite in the whole series. I loved the Christmas setting, which you dont see much in games. Other than some technical issues that the developers never fixed, it's a great underrated game that really deserves a second chance.

Definitely an underrated gem, though I've seen quite a few people upset that it never got ported to PS4, especially with those countless "Arkham Collections". People tend to avoid the game because of the 1-death difficulty trophy and the multiplayer. But I really liked the game, as well as the knew combat additions. 

• Like 1

Bloons TD5. Yeah, it's very, very long and grindy, but it's fun putting as many towers as you can, and watching the bloons get massacred. 

Knack 2. Much better than the first game. I enjoyed the new combat additions, and the graphics were great. While the story can be boring, it's well worth playing. 

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I absolutely loved that game, and agree that it remains the pinnacle of the 'Walking Sim' genre, and (along with Dear Esther and Gone Home) the best argument for the validity of that genre.

Hearing arguments that "IT's NoT a gAmE" from fools who believe knives or bullets are a prerequisite to having fun is always laughable, and casts aspersions solely on the arguer, not the game.

I suspect the same person would most likely dismiss some of my favourite, more quiet, introspective films, like The Seventh Seal or Meloncholia, or The Sweet Hearafter, as "NoT a mOvIe" as they settle down to watch some Jerry Bruckheimer camera-spinning explosion-fest or James Cameron cocaine-fueled nightmare.

I think Everybody's Gone to the Rapture had a similar effect on me as it did you.

It not only affected me as I played it - It slightly - but permanently - altered what I expected of games going forward.

Dear Esther and Gone Home were gorgeous as well (although Gone Home had a very creepy vibe to it and I'm really jumpy).

The particular friend I'm talking about would rather spend his evening watching a Steven Spielberg explosion robot dinosaur movie or play Call of Duty whilst throwing his controller against the wall then actually take his time in a quiet but dead drop gorgeous game like Rapture for example. I don't get it either but each and everyone to its own I guess.

Hunting trophies in Rapture wasn't that exciting but the game itself had me in awe and it did indeed change the way I now look for new games to add to my libary.

Glad to see someone else appreciating the 'walking sim' genre though :D

• Like 2

for me I think,

Terminator Resistance

White Day

Resident Evil Revelations hd remaster

Anodyne

Remnat From The Ashes

Danganronpa series

Dead Rising 1

Deadpool

Deus Ex Mankind Divded

Greedfall

Generation Zero

Homefront The Revolution

How To Survive 2

Outward

Pathologic 2

Ziggurat

White Nose 2

Yomawari Midnight Shadows

Valley

Wasteland 2

For The King

All of theses to me are very very underrated games if you ask me that is. But there is a lot more out there I can't name off the top of my head.

• Like 1

Furi and Rebel Galaxy.

Furi is awesome. It's a boss rush/bullet hell/action game made by the creator of Afro Samurai. The game has such a unique and fluid gameplay, with a beautiful techno design and a great synthwave soundtrack. The story is interesting and very similar to Afro Samurai. It's hard as hell, specially if you go for the platinum. It's easily in my top 5 most difficult platinums, alongside games like Injustice 1, Mirror's Edge and MGS2 and Dishonored Dunwell City Trials DLC.

Rebel Galaxy is a space simulator. The first time I played it, it was very confusing to understand basic things like how to start quests, talk to NPCs and what's the game main objective. But after a little study of how the game works, the game became very fun.

The main story is simple: you are a newcomer in that part of the galaxy, and by chance, you get your hands in a very powerful AI that everyone wants. And your mission is learn about the AI and don't let the bad guys get her.

You can explore a lot of solar systems while doing sidequests that mainly are about mining asteroids, being a bounty hunter or a space pirate, or making legal and illegal deliveries. And obviously, if you starting making illegal actions, you'll be hunted by the cops of that solar system. But it pays very well.

You can also upgrade your ship and buy new ones. And you can choose between small and fast ships or huge, slow and powerful dreadnoughts. The only bad things about this game is that you can't fly up and down, just aim. It's like you're flying on a disc. And you can't explore planets (they are just dock stations).

Edited by KenpachiDaniel
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 3:18 AM, ArmoredSnowman said:

Definitely an underrated gem, though I've seen quite a few people upset that it never got ported to PS4, especially with those countless "Arkham Collections". People tend to avoid the game because of the 1-death difficulty trophy and the multiplayer. But I really liked the game, as well as the knew combat additions. 

The 1 death mode isn't that hard honestly, you can quit to the main menu if your about to die and just restart the checkpoint. The only thing that stopped me from doing it was a glitch that caused all of my gadgets to disappear. But yeah, if by chance it ever does come ps4-5, I want all the mp trophies replaced with the dlc trophies. Lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ginger252bread19 said:

The 1 death mode isn't that hard honestly, you can quit to the main menu if your about to die and just restart the checkpoint. The only thing that stopped me from doing it was a glitch that caused all of my gadgets to disappear. But yeah, if by chance it ever does come ps4-5, I want all the mp trophies replaced with the dlc trophies. Lol

Yeah, the mp fucking sucked. Glad I got them out of the way haha.

Okay, imagine this: a metroidvania, with bullet hell mechanics, at least 20 boss fights, and the protagonist is an anime bunnygirl. And it's actually one of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played.

RABI-RIBI IS AN AMAZING GAME.

Fair warning for the platinum, it won't be easy. I'd only call myself a casual trophy hunter, and even then I only go for platinums when the itch hits me, so this game could be a harder recommendation to people on this site, but I will say the no-spike trophy from this game was probably one of the most satisfying accomplishments for me in the past few years.

I'd also recommend any VanillaWare game for the art style alone, especially Odin Sphere.

• Like 3

I’m going to broaden my approach to this thread and say that the most underrated games tend to be the ones who’s value is in an emotional well-written story. Life Is Strange, To The Moon, The Metal

Gear Solid Series, etc. These are all

games that aren’t appreciated until played. 

• Like 2