Criminally Underrated Games?

Trumpet_Boi_208

As a fan of horror VNs (Japanese horror especially) Spirit Hunter NG is so good. Much better than I initially anticipated. Slowly working on a second playthrough to platinum it now.

Also, I don't think its on Playstation, but Higurashi is fantastic. A slow burn, but a worthy one. 

• Like 3

This game has been on the brain a lot lately, but I really dig the game Outland on the PS3. It was a PS+ title a long time ago, and it's awesome. Critical reviews were often tepid, and there is no physical version on PS3, so it will soon be lost to this console.

Just listen to this awesome boss theme:

• Like 3

Dungreed - The game has only 100 players on PSNP but deserves so much more it is one of the better Roguelikes out there and it an absolute blast with a ton of items and synergies. It also has a minor town building mechanic which I'm always a sucker for.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The whole "The Longest Journey" Saga. There is only one game on PS4, it's called

"Dreamfall Chapters" 

and it's awesome.

_____

The Ys Games. Yes, Trails of Cold Steel is amazing and all of us know the "big" FF games out there - but Ys, especially Memories of Celceta, is just beautiful.

_____

Yomawari - Night alone and Midnight shadows. 2D-Horror-Games that will just break your heart. Even the tutorial is awfully sad.

_____

A Rose in the Twilight - in the style of Yomawari, but just horrible mad.

_____

What Remains of Edith Finch - this game threw me into a dark place and left me there with tons of mixed feelings. Never played anything like that before.

Edited by I-CatHasTrophy-I
  • Like 3

On 06/04/2021 at 3:11 PM, JourneySilvers said:

As a fan of horror VNs (Japanese horror especially) Spirit Hunter NG is so good. Much better than I initially anticipated. Slowly working on a second playthrough to platinum it now.

that game interested me but it looks so generally terrifying idk if i could play lol

Edited by baejacobs
  • Like 1

RED ROPE - its a game where you need to control 2 people [duel control] there tried together by well a red rope. To exit the Labyrinth there in.  So you need to balance your positions , slove puzzle and kill things by warping the rope around things. Its mainly a co op idea. But you can solo it. Fun either way.? 

It's criminally over looked. Its only has like 30 for both the us & eu ver. 

• Like 1

My most liked series of all time on PS4 is Sniper Ghost Warrior? that series deserves more, ive allways been buying CI games titles on release.

People should really try them. I get people gets put of because of CI is known to have buggy titles, but dont let that stop you. Heck i finnished Cyberpunk plat after a week after release. 

My next game that i feel is really underated is: A Plague Tale Innoscence. Well this game ended like a random buy in a shop, i knew nothing about it. And it ended being my favourite game in 2019. Amazing story and gameplay in this game. A must buy ☺️

• Like 2

murdered soul suspect and sleeping dogs. seen a few people talk about SD now bot on here and other forums and places so i don't know whether to count that as 'criminally' underrated at this point but it's still a really good game that feels like it never got the attention it deserved (unless you're going for the platinum) and murdered soul suspect is just one that is never spoken about but always goes super cheap on the store on sales for like £1 or maybe even less at times but it's so underlooked and never spoken about or appreciated nearly as much as it feels like it should be 

• Like 1

As others have already mentioned: Sleeping Dogs.

Awesome story, awesome characters, awesome gameplay.

Another one would be The End is Nigh.

It's a platformer made by Super Meat Boy dev Edmund McMillen. Awesome gameplay and atmosphere. The soundtrack is very good as well.

• Like 2

Bug Fables. It's a spiritual successor to the first two Paper Mario games and it doesn't try to hide it, not just in gameplay, but also capturing the charm the series used to have. Unlike Paper Mario the game can get pretty challenging at times if you're playing on hard  mode and don't use a very specific playstyle. Such a good game yet it only has 777 game owners on this site, a pitiful number. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes classic Paper Mario. If you haven't played Paper Mario then picture the combat from South Park Stick of Truth.

Daymare 1998. I'm not going to lie, this game is kinda jank. It's unpolished, and has some of the worst voice acting I've heard since the PS1 era (perhaps by design?). However, it's quite fun for a budget title that's trying to pay homage to both classic and modern survival horror. I personally thought of it as a blend between the PS1 Resident Evil games and Resident Evil 4. If you have the patience to look past its flaws, it's worth a try. It has a really cool (optional) mechanic where you have to keep track of how many bullets your magazine has left before reloading to maximize your ammo count.

Murdered: Soul Suspect. I played the PS3 version, but a PS4 version exists. In reality this game is little more than a walking simulator that you wander around as the ghost of a recently killed detective trying to collect clues to solve mysteries, mainly the cause of the main character's death. There's some stealth sections thrown in, but it's mostly a story focused game. Still entertaining enough for a single playthrough if you want something to play in October or are looking for a more relaxing ride after finishing a difficult game.

Nexomon: Extinction. A monster battling game. As it's obviously inspired by Pokemon it takes a lot of ideas from that series, but it also brings some of its own ideas to the table. Keep in mind that the story doesn't take itself seriously at all and is constantly breaking the fourth wall. This can be annoying to some people (there were a few moments where it started to get a bit tiresome for me) but others saw this as a refreshing change of pace from the simplistic and play it safe plots Pokemon games have. I played this game right when it came out (one of the top 50 first platinum players on PSNprofiles!) but the devs have been listening to player feedback and have offered a couple of updates that offer substantial quality of life features making the game even more accessible to play. I would hesitate to call it better than Pokemon, but it's still enjoyable in its own right.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2021 at 10:05 AM, HuntingFever said:

A Winter's Daydream - This little gem has been overlooked for far too long, because it came out during a shovelware boom so most people simply ignored it due to how easy it is but give it a chance and you'll be floored by the amazing story.

I agree, I did play this one for a quick plat but actually enjoyed the story!  

• Like 1

Obvious choices here, as always for me, are both Gravity Rush games and anything by Vanillaware, but I'll mention once again that Muramasa: Rebirth and the Genroku Legends DLCs are amongst Vanillaware's finest works and, probably because it's stuck on the Vita, people never seem to talk about it all that much even if they've played Odin Sphere LeifthrasirDragon's Crown or 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. Yes I did bold all those because they're also games that more people should play, but Muramasa's the key one. Worth a Vita for alone, honestly.

Also worth a mention are Momodora IIMomodora III and Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, all of which are fantastic, as well as NIS's indie puzzle/horror games htoL#NiQ, both Yomawari games, A Rose in the Twilight and (probably, since I haven't got around to it yet) Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, and since they fit in well here, both Stealth Inc. games and Dokuro.

Bonus shoutouts to any game on the Ubiarts engine, but everyone knows Rayman exists. Child of Light and Valiant Hearts are both beautiful and overlooked, however.

• Like 3

Here's another one for you :): Riverbond.

I got this for under £4 in the most recent sale and quite frankly, I don't understand why it got so many bad and meh reviews ?. First and foremost this game is made for young children so isn't going to have the same amount of complexity or level of difficulty that an equivalent game would have if it was designed for adults. Even keeping that in mind, Riverbond is a charming game and a great way to kill a few mins if you're not in the mood for something more complicated since each level only lasts anywhere from 20mins to an hour. It will only take about 10hrs to Plat and 100% this game but there's still plenty of longevity due to the massive amount of unlockables it has thanks to the latest patch. My only real issues with this game are the controls are little weird and the collision detection is wonky in some places but they're minor complaints overall.

• Like 2

On 16/2/2021 at 8:56 AM, JohnFPSKing said:

For me, Days Gone, the Sniper Elite series, Sleeping Dogs, Knack are just some of the underrated games for me and if we're talking PS3 I'd say Batman: Arkham Origins, The Darkness II. The Darkness II is the most underrated out of the games I mentioned. Almost nobody mentions or talks about it but it's up there as one of my favorite games of all-time. Also, Just Cause 3, Batman: Arkham Knight and the series that doesn't get alot of love as The Darkness II is the Metro series. Amongst the best single-player FPS games ever made.

I agree, The Darkness 2 is absolutely incredible. Actually I agree with the whole comment. 

To add something to the thread... I'll say:

- Path to Mnemosyne. A unique, visually stunning experience exploring the subconscious.

- Expand

- Forgotton Anne

- Kholat

• Like 2

Judgment (It is spelled like that) - Very underrated game, have not heard much people talk about the game when mentioning the Yakuza franchise which is steadily gaining more popularity. Amazing combat with a pretty good story, apparently the game was a financial success and the developers briefly mentioned the possibility of a sequel. Not as underrated as other games mentioned on this topic, but still does not get the praise it deserves.

• Like 2

Hmm If I go for the amount of owners Idk how Sleeping dogs is underated. Maybe A plague tale because only has 32k. But it made A lot of noise when it was released, even was nominated for Game awards of that year.

I think that Children of Morta and Rabi Ribi are more underated.

I'd add Disney's Brave (for a movie title is Fantastic), Song of the deep.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:23 AM, I-CatHasTrophy-I said:

The whole "The Longest Journey" Saga. There is only one game on PS4, it's called

"Dreamfall Chapters" 

and it's awesome.

_____

The Ys Games. Yes, Trails of Cold Steel is amazing and all of us know the "big" FF games out there - but Ys, especially Memories of Celceta, is just beautiful.

_____

Yomawari - Night alone and Midnight shadows. 2D-Horror-Games that will just break your heart. Even the tutorial is awfully sad.

_____

A Rose in the Twilight - in the style of Yomawari, but just horrible mad.

_____

What Remains of Edith Finch - this game threw me into a dark place and left me there with tons of mixed feelings. Never played anything like that before.

I 100% agree with What Remains of Edith Finch, a very good game  

On 19.4.2021 at 11:33 PM, funboy1246 said:

haven't seen anyone mention Asdivine Hearts. I'd never heard of it before i got ps now but i dove into and so far its one of my favorite little RPGS.

I always wanted to start this - last time I nearly chose it for my next Vita Game, I decided to play Antiquia Lost instead. It was awesome too!

On 23.4.2021 at 11:11 PM, Snake_1302 said:

Murdered: Soul Suspect. I played the PS3 version, but a PS4 version exists. In reality this game is little more than a walking simulator that you wander around as the ghost of a recently killed detective trying to collect clues to solve mysteries, mainly the cause of the main character's death. There's some stealth sections thrown in, but it's mostly a story focused game. Still entertaining enough for a single playthrough if you want something to play in October or are looking for a more relaxing ride after finishing a difficult game.

I loved it. I played it on PS4 some years ago - I will definitely play it on PS3 too in the future. I have the disc at home.

On 23.4.2021 at 11:11 PM, Snake_1302 said:

Nexomon: Extinction. A monster battling game. As it's obviously inspired by Pokemon it takes a lot of ideas from that series, but it also brings some of its own ideas to the table. Keep in mind that the story doesn't take itself seriously at all and is constantly breaking the fourth wall. This can be annoying to some people (there were a few moments where it started to get a bit tiresome for me) but others saw this as a refreshing change of pace from the simplistic and play it safe plots Pokemon games have. I played this game right when it came out (one of the top 50 first platinum players on PSNprofiles!) but the devs have been listening to player feedback and have offered a couple of updates that offer substantial quality of life features making the game even more accessible to play. I would hesitate to call it better than Pokemon, but it's still enjoyable in its own right.

Nexomon is awesome. The story is so funny - I like the way they talk to the player behind the console. Pokemon games are really boring in a way meanwhile, especially since Sun/Moon. Nexomon is also much better than Temtem.

I know I already stuck a few games on this thread early on, but I really feel like 

L39db40.png

RAD

also qualifies for this.

Has less than 3000 game owners, only 21 folks with 100% complete, but it is monstrously fun, not-too-tough (as rogue like run-based games go), satisfying and absolutely dripping with 80's, Nikelodeon/ Saturday Morning cartoon-style personality.

A total treat from DoubleFine, but sadly doesn't seem to have gained the traction most of their games do, despite clear quality.

I bring you two platformers today :) 

L3e145c.png

The End is Nigh - One of the best platformers I've ever played. Created by Edmund Mc. Millen.. you know, the guy that also made Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac. And somehow, this absolute blast of a game only counts 421 owners on this site (and 29 platinum achievers). 

L9ecc72.png

Splasher - A game created by a former developer of Rayman with a heavy focus on speedrunning. Very unique, very, VERY tough, but a lot of fun. Only 571 owners and 13 platinum achievers.

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4