Criminally Underrated Games?

Trumpet_Boi_208

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

I bring you two platformers today :) 

The End is Nigh - One of the best platformers I've ever played. Created by Edmund Mc. Millen.. you know, the guy that also made Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac. And somehow, this absolute blast of a game only counts 421 owners on this site (and 29 platinum achievers).

Splasher - A game created by a former developer of Rayman with a heavy focus on speedrunning. Very unique, very, VERY tough, but a lot of fun. Only 571 owners and 13 platinum achievers.

Nothing to add to this. Still baffles my mind why both of these amazing games only have so few players/owners here. Highly recommend both of them.

• Like 1

Drowning is another game I don't understand why hardly anyone talks about it :(. The story is pretty deep and disturbing if you pay attention to it but unfortunately, most people just skip through it for an quick and easy Plat so don't bother reading it - which is a shame :(.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2021 at 7:01 PM, ChunkyKong64 said:

I will fight to the death in saying Final Fantasy XIII is underrated. I get the linearity issue, but most of them are linear. The story is nonsensical, but all of them are. The battle system is killer, the music is my favorite in the series, and the game is damn gorgeous (still). Lightning Returns is also great if you enjoyed the first one. XIII-2 can fuck off.

I thought FFXIII was amazing. I never understood the hate.

• Like 2

I do not know if this game is criminnaly underrated, but I want to recommend The Deadly Tower of Monsters - it's a very funny, light and easy platinum game with an AMAZING retro sci-fi atmosphere. I've enjoyed every singile minute of it. 

Edited by Urdnot_Wrexx
  • Like 4

I suggest Faeria which is farly new on PS4, but it's quite old on PC and it's absolutely gorgeous!

You have a lot of things to do both online and offline, you can also play coop with people which is a rare feature in card games. Actually it's 50% card game and 50% boardgame, but most important it's 100% fun!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 11:11 PM, Snake_1302 said:

Bug Fables. It's a spiritual successor to the first two Paper Mario games and it doesn't try to hide it, not just in gameplay, but also capturing the charm the series used to have. Unlike Paper Mario the game can get pretty challenging at times if you're playing on hard  mode and don't use a very specific playstyle. Such a good game yet it only has 777 game owners on this site, a pitiful number. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes classic Paper Mario. If you haven't played Paper Mario then picture the combat from South Park Stick of Truth.

Wow i never knew this game existed, thanks for recommending it. I am usually not a big fan of hard indies but this just breathes the first 2 Paper Mario games which i enjoyed very much as a kid.

Definitly gonna play this!

• 1 month later...

The Gardens Between - I'm amazed that more people haven't played this game. The puzzles are complex without being irritating or pretentious, yet give immense satisfaction when you figure out how to solve them. My only real issues are the story is a little too thin to be truly immersive and replay value is very low but if you can get this for £5 or less, it's well worth it for an Afternoon or Evening's entertainment :).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Beyond Eyes - This is another one of those games that I will never understand why it got so much hate. Yes, the collectibles are a PITA but the heartfelt story and refined core gameplay make for an amazing experience :). Unfortunately, bad blood between the developer and publisher means this is getting delisted in the very near future :(.

• 1 month later...
On 03/09/2021 at 4:31 AM, HuntingFever said:

Beyond Eyes - This is another one of those games that I will never understand why it got so much hate. Yes, the collectibles are a PITA but the heartfelt story and refined core gameplay make for an amazing experience :). Unfortunately, bad blood between the developer and publisher means this is getting delisted in the very near future :(.

I missed this one. Only found out about its existence after the delisting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baranov_925 said:

Kingdom Come Deliverance - many people are hating this game because of raw mechanics, acting level straight from The Room and archaic background, but in my opinion, those are the strongest factors that made this game great.

I thought the initial hate came from Kotaku being salty about the developer's personal political beliefs.

Mass Effect Andromeda - I never understood the poor ratings and the hateful comments about this game. I really love this game, the story and the fantastic characters. I hope there will be a sequel, but I fear this will never happen.

The sinking city

Call of Cthulhu

Both games got bad ratings too, but I've had a lot of fun with this games.

Yomawari , both games are masterpieces with a sad story.

Other unnoticed games I had a lot of fun with:

The Journey Down Chapter 1-3

Creaks

Call of the Sea

TOHU

Kona

The book of unwritten tales 2 (What a pity, the first part was never released on Playstation)

Flipping death

The invisible hours

Black the Fall

Sea of Solitude

The cave

Soma

• Like 2

Peaky Blinders: Mastermind: Puzzle/Stealth game with time manipulation mechanics. Really good and innovative gameplay for a TV license game.

Mundaun: Atmospheric Horror/Mystery game set in the swiss alps. The graphic style looks like a mix between PSone graphics and something pencil drawn.

9 Monkeys of Shaolin:Fun brawler with a cel shading art style that feels like an 70s kung fu movie.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eraezr said:

I thought the initial hate came from Kotaku being salty about the developer's personal political beliefs.

lol, looking for politics in video games is really smart idea for someone who likes to create problems around themselves

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 1

I would have to say the FEZ is probably one of the most underrated games out there.  And, it is excellent.  If you want a puzzle game that is a blast to play - pick this up!! I highly recommend it for anyone's backlog.  

FEZ by POLYTRON

I can only surmise that some of the best non-platinum game are the most underrated.  Sad, really.  Players are missing out on some real gems.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 5:54 PM, ChunkyKong64 said:

Bro how the hell did I forget about sleeping dogs! The best gta-like out there, imo. Such an incredibly story and combat.

I would agree on Sleeping Dogs ... I'm playing it right now.  Good story.  Add The Saboteur (PS3) to your list.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:31 PM, HuntingFever said:

It's one of those games that looks unique and artistic on it's surface but hides some sort of unresolved butthurt/trauma dev happily dumps on you without any regards on your expectations from a commercial product. There are few such games (not sure if anyone here need me to name the names and stuff...) that I know of and Beyond Eyes was easily the worst of whole bunch. 

9 hours ago, Eraezr said:

I missed this one. Only found out about its existence after the delisting.

And nothing of value was lost. Call me an asshat for SPOILING but I'll spare you the troubles:

Spoiler

The cat girl's after is dead in the end.

Wasn't amused a bit.

On the positive note, I have a little list that might be worth checking:

The Fall - get into the shoes of battle suit A.I. whose pilot is unconscious and about to die without help. Get through Laws of Robotics' restrictions to solve diffferent tasks clearly not meant for our heroine (yep A.I. sounds female) to deal with. Also The Fall Part 2: Unbound

Jamestown+ - simply the best bullet hell you'll ever play.

Randal's Monday - a quest with unlikeable character done right (hi, Deponia). A Groundhog Day concept pushed to ridiculous extremes. Easter eggs everywhere.

Jotun - slay the giants and travel through mythical Jotunheim in this "Legend of Zelda"-esque adventure of proving your worth to enter Halls of Valhalla.

Last Day of June - surprisingly touching confrontation with fate. There was a car crash. Your significant other is no longer there. But what if there is a chance to change things that happened that day?

ADR1FT - it's a cosmonaut sim #dealwithit. Stranded alone in open space with debris of the semi-functional station all around. Maneuvering requires some getting used to though. Amazing if you get through that "getting used to" part. Airtight experience.

Return of the Obra Dinn - if you were into nautical fiction genre ever and don't mind the visual style of the game, it has the best detective work deduction aspect I've seen in videogames. Interesting way of storytelling too.

UnMetal - get in NOW! Seriously. Metal Gear was never so funny. It is now. Then get UnEpic. Then Ghost 1.0

I also strongly second The Swords of Ditto, The House in Fata Morgana, Ghost of a Tale mentioned above. All great games worth both your time and money.

Edited by VegaMan-X4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, reaperveteran86 said:

Peaky Blinders: Mastermind: Puzzle/Stealth game with time manipulation mechanics. Really good and innovative gameplay for a TV license game.

GREAT game! Perfect blend of sleuthing, puzzling with a time machine option. I’d love to see more games mimic this concept. 

FYI - You may like The Invisible Hours and Sexy Brutale as both have the rewind/fast forward gameplay. 

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 1