What type of gamer are you- Contemporary or Backlogger?

Conor

What type of gamer are you- Contemporary or Backlogger?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Contemporary or Backlogger?

• Contemporary- I keep up with new games mostly and will rarely play a game that has been out more than three years
    • Backlogger- I'll get new games when I can or if it is something I'm hotly anticipating, otherwise I'm chipping away at stuff I missed out on, sometimes many years old

Backlogger. My new-old games ratio is about 50-50. A game doesn't lose its value just because it came out more than 10 years ago. I've checked out some of those Atari Flashback collections to see what I missed. Some of the games on those actually hold up pretty good in 2021, especially the arcade titles.

There are some games that I don't bother with at their $60 launch price, but I'll wait until they're down to $20-30.

• Like 2

I guess I'm more of a backlogger. I don't really pay much attention to new games overall, and I only buy stuff once they've dropped in price most of the time. No reason to pay $60 for something that will be $20 in a few months. Only exception is Nintendo games. I tend to buy those at launch since they're never dropping in price anyway.

• Like 3

Which option would I pick if I have a massive backlog of games I don't feel like playing 90% of the time, and continue to add to it... and still buy most big, new releases day one, but actually play the new games (usually)?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Definitely a backlogger.  I haven't bought a game at launch since Twisted Metal came out in 2012, though I may well make a day one buy for the upcoming Oddworld: Soulstorm.

Playing older games doesn't bother me at all - the likes of Thief and AC Syndicate are still sitting in my backlog waiting to be played.  I'll get to most of my games eventually, although some of them will inevitably end up by the wayside.

• Like 1

Kind of a backlogger, I guess?

I don't actively focus more on one over the other, but as a budget gamer I don't tend to buy many brand new games right out the gate (especially since I might not play them immediately) so I'll wait until a juicy sale or if I'm like 'yes I will play this right now'. 

Generally I'm a very spontaneous gamer, whatever I'm in the mood for when I switch my console on is what I'll do and I don't really think about it. Sometimes the games newer, sometimes it's old, sometimes it's a purchase from a sale then and there xD never explicitly looking at my backlog but it's there to dip into if I fancy something in it.

I've been a permanent "backlogger" since the mid-PS3 era, really. Not only am I parsimonious, most of what the AAA industry vomits out doesn't spark my interest enough to pay more than $20, if anything.

Progress has been made, however: I once had over 40 games installed on PS4, but that's shrank to 19. On the other hand, my wishlist still has around 35 games on it...

• Like 2

Backlogger almost by default. I bought my PS4 in late 2019, so I've been experiencing so many titles I've never gotten to play before (Disgaea, almost every Star Ocean, Bloodborne, etc). I have now amassed almost 200+ games in my digital library just waiting to be played. At this point I have several years of games to play, which is awesome because by the time I rummage through them all, PS5 games should be on sale so I'll get to enjoy the benefit of discounted PS5 games. 

Speaking of all the backloggery, does anyone know a good place to get a half decent PS3 console? I've been toying with the idea of getting one because my Final Fantasy and Tales of collections can never truly be complete unless I get one, but I don't wanna get one at an untrusty source. So any ideas on where to go for a reputable source on that?

Edited by Sword
  • Like 1

Being a contemporary ruined my avg completion percentage, so I went back to play some older games, and that just kinda turned me into into a backlogger, still a ton I need to work through. Playing my old ps3 games makes me miss those times, maybe it's nostalgia but even then some games were ones I never played and still loved them.