Kill Your Completion 15

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Heck, if the King of Perseverance @DamagingRob, can’t earn the :platinum:, there’s no way I could pull it off. :P 

:lol: Yeah, I'm surprised I even got the online done. Would be one of my rarest plats if I finished it, but I just don't like the game.. That and not liking playing on the PS3 anymore, is not a good combo. Even going back for Child of Eden during this event was quite painful. Took multiple attempts just to get the special password to work and log in, then the DS3 feels like it has issues (getting a new one of those now is unlikely), and trophy syncing takes an eternity. Blegh. I'm prepared to just let it die, though there are a handful of games in my backlog that I really want to play on it still... Mostly third entries in trilogies that I've put off for far too log.

• Like 1

Double Pack of Final Reviews

BONUS

For the late posting: Wrap-Up

Life, what can you do when there's no pause button? At least, I did get to play my listed games. 

Final Fantasy X-III 

L29e03d.png

I'm tired of the over saturated Troy Baker voice acting appearances.

Playtime: 2hrs, 30min

Trophies: 2/36 (2% complete)

Enjoyment: 8/10

FF games don't need introductions. If you don't know the gist of them, pick a number 1-15, then start one up. 

What I will comment on is how stunning, graphics wise, this 11yr old game has been. It's age really only shows in the font, that slanted Spider-Man/PS3 one. Other than that, it's held up great. 

It starts off strong with an action packed scene. -You'll have to excuse my further descriptions. The game seems to do the telling via required reading in the menu. & as you can probably guess by my playtime, I haven't read it yet. - Lightning & Sazh (the comic relief character with a chocobo chick nesting in his afro) are on a monorail heading towards a not so happy place. I gather there's some kind of alien invasion or maybe an infection going on outside, & percentages of the population are to be curbed. Lightning sneaked on board with Sazh because both have agendas in this place, conflicting ones though. 

In the opening cut scenes, as Lightning is wiping the floor with the train guards, a flying shark mech enters the fray. This FF seems more sci-fi than fantasy world, which I'm happy with. Anyway, a funny scene happens when the mech tears into the carriage. 

Sazh shouts, "Run!"

Lightning runs toward the danger. & staring dumbfounded, Sazh adds a helpful, "I meant away."

He's had several gem quality quips like this. Quickly earning him points to favorite character in this game, but it's still early. 

The game drops you into the combat tutorial here. It's the not so fun real time while searching through list menus for attack commands. Right now I'm only able to control Lightning for her story highlight (I'll explain that in a minute), with 2 different attack options, so the imposing built up fight was easy. I expect more will come with progression, & with it more of a strategy aspect planning along enemy weaknesses. Sazh is an NPC for the moment (hopefully), contributing better than the average for fights. 

Maps are linear walkways through the facility with a sprinkling of automatically jumping over debris blocked sections. Along the way, you can find floating orbs containing items. & as this is a FF game, I did take a glance at the missable section of the trophy guide. Those items seem to be the only collectibles I need to look out for, so I downloaded the checklist. 80hrs once is enough for me. I've got other games to get to after all. 

Back to the story: as the pair are making their way through this facility, the viewpoint actually switches & you're taken across to play as another character. He's biker meets beanie wearing punk, voiced by - if you already read my subtitle, you know- Troy Baker. Oh, joy (read that sarcastically). 

This dressed in white man is cleverly called Snow. Also, forgot to mention, Lightning has an electric force field device around her body (imaginative much? These better be codenames). Snow is there with a rebel group to fight whomever is gathering all these people up for the slaughter. 

Intersecting directly with Snow's story, though entering spoiler territory to explain, the main viewpoint has just switched to a child character. Who is also now fighting. It's FF, anyone can just pick up a weapon with a motive & wreck some enemies. 

That's pretty much what's been going on in the prologue through chapter 1. I know there's a lot to go, I've only seen the tip of the iceberg. 

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Eyp-Scw-XEAAv0m-U.jpg

Modern games have spoiled me.

Playtime: 3hrs 

Trophies: 5/50 (7% complete)

Enjoyment: 6/10

Sly Cooper is an adventure game that's - insert your favorite heisting movie meets wibbly-wobbly time travel, all neatly wrapped in a family friendly way. 

The titular character is a thieving  anthropomorphic raccoon that comes from a prestigious line of thieves. Though they only steal from other thieves...& keep it for themselves? I really don't know, haven't gotten that far into the back story. I'll mark it a half Robin Hood thing for now. 

Anyway, currently Sly is trying his hand at a grift in the name of love. Playing an amnesiac for his girlfriend, who is some top agent that's been hunting him for years. I'll give the cops & robbers trope there a pass, as I admittedly like it. But the antebellum is tested when Sly starts getting the itch to steal again, & risk blowing the couple's happiness. That teeters right over the edge when Bentley, the old heisting team's wheelchair bound brainiac/quartermaster turtle starts noticing Sly's family thieving compendium is starting to fade. Almost as if history is being rewritten. Oh, & his girlfriend disappears into thin air. I put that in order of importance, right?

Well, no worries, Bentley just so happened to be working on a time travel machine. All it needs is a reference piece from the time period you want to reach. & it also just so happens, the perfect artifact can be found in the place Sly had the urge to steal from. 

It's time to get the gang back together. In comes Murray, the hippo Wheelman. 

Eyp-dbz-Wg-AE0-Hrq.jpg

You get to play as each character for certain sections of the tutorial heist. Each has special abilities: Sly is limber for platforming & pick-pocketing, Bentley can throw bombs & do hacking through a top-down tank mini game, Murray doubles as the driver & muscle, punching his way through enemies & obstacles. 

They retrieved the artifact & headed back in time. Of course, Sly's agent girlfriend found out they were back to stealing before they left. It's okay though, that's what a time machine is for. Arriving at their first point in time, feudal Japan, they find their suspicions were correct, someone else is playing with time. I'd put money down they used Bentley's time machine at a later date & that's how this all started. The first correction is to rescue Sly's ancestor from imprisonment, then get his sushi restaurant back up & running. 

Now this is where the game opens up, literally. There's a generous map to explore of the village, & it's packed with points to explore, respawning enemies to steal/defeat, & items to collect. But this is also where my enjoyment gets tempered by modern open worlds. Playing on the Vita, the world feels cramped. Building & character models are disproportionate, the camera does its best, but it's not the best. I feel like I can play this in short burst, long periods though & I might get a headache. 

I like the light humor storytelling though, & the general cut scene styles. There's plenty to explore & collect that I've been too distracted to play the story. It's a nice, chill game. Not sure yet if the collectibles will be a pain or if I'm willing to play the series from the beginning. Time will tell. 

Wrap up

Completion Percent: 86.54% (-1.89%)

Games Played: 189 (+5)

Completed Games: 143 (+1)

Unearned Trophies: 991 (1,059 with DLC) +149 

Even going for the minimum number of games to start, I feel off the wagon near the end. But I'm glad I was able to start up these titles. Now I get to pit them against one another!

1. Muv-Luv 

Eyp-p-Zf-WYAATcpa.jpg

My favorite this round may come as somewhat of a surprise considering my short playtime & doting on Danganronpa, but this VN is a joy to read. Dark humor doesn't always win out.

Screenshot: 

Spoiler

Eyp-u1-PWUAg-Yx-IC.jpg

2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Ew-PK0-ZMVc-AQWsd1.jpg

A close contender for first, I almost was going to claim both deserving of the spot. Now I need to hunt down the sequels. I know the collection has been released on PS4, but I'd rather have it physical on Vita, & finding reasonably priced copies of those are going to be a Monokuma.

Screenshots: 

Spoiler

Ew-PK5w-WEAAvs-Up.jpg

Ew-PKsb-TXEAM72-Ae.jpg

Ew-PK-VAXEAIl-Mt.jpg

3. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Eyp-izr-WUAEm-NXM.jpg

Like the ones above,  I've gone back to play this for the fun of it. 

4. Final Fantasy X-III 

Not enough playtime & sparse back story so far bumped this one nearer the end. I haven't been back to play it since my chosen days. 

No screenshots to share for a PS3 game.  

5. Dark Rose Valkyrie 

Dark-Rose-Valkyrie-20210310234120.jpg

The one with the most playtime hits the bottom of the rankings. I logged the most time here because RPGs are my go to, & this was right there loaded up. Not because it's engaging. 

Screenshots: 

Spoiler

Dark-Rose-Valkyrie-20210310231142.jpg

Dark-Rose-Valkyrie-20210311225334.jpg

Dark-Rose-Valkyrie-20210319225247.jpg

@voodoo_eyes

Thank you for continually hosting KYC! I don't know when I'd start some of these games without it. 

Or find some new ones for that matter. Catching my interest this round was: Vita Pets & Deponia. Maybe I’ll add more to that later. I’ve got reviews to catch up on. 

Edited by Gretchen27
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Ew-PK0-ZMVc-AQWsd1.jpg

A close contender for first, I almost was going to claim both deserving of the spot. Now I need to hunt down the sequels. I know the collection has been released on PS4, but I'd rather have it physical on Vita, & finding reasonably priced copies of those are going to be a Monokuma.

Screenshots: 

Reveal hidden contents

Ew-PK5w-WEAAvs-Up.jpg

Ew-PKsb-TXEAM72-Ae.jpg

Ew-PK-VAXEAIl-Mt.jpg

Just a fair warning about this series. The other games are not as good as the first one. The second one is still solid, but the third one is forgettable and the spin-off is average at best.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Just a fair warning about this series. The other games are not as good as the first one. The second one is still solid, but the third one is forgettable and the spin-off is average at best.

Ouch. Thanks for the warning. I won't rush into tracking them down then. I might have to watch a bit of a playthrough before deciding if I'd be better off switching to the much cheaper PS4 versions.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:51 PM, Gretchen27 said:

Ouch. Thanks for the warning. I won't rush into tracking them down then. I might have to watch a bit of a playthrough before deciding if I'd be better off switching to the much cheaper PS4 versions.

I'll provide a dissenting opinion here. The games get better as the series progresses, with the 3rd being my favorite of the three. I will agree though that the spinoff is not worth the time looking into and was pretty much a waste of time to play.

• Like 1

So I've goten the plat for Cyberdimension Neptunia by now.

Took way longer than the guide indicated and was a lot more boring than I thought it would be initially. This game has some major issues, not only the recycling of hte bosses, but the bug that may get you stuck in the environment when a boss hits you. That means no doding and considering some of hte boss attacks can one-shot you, if you don't get out of the way, it's a major pain in the ass. It happend at least a dozen times across several bosses, which meant certain death and buying new items and going through the dungeon again to get to the boss for anotehr attempt.

I also went back to another game I played during KYC 11, which was Hitman Blood Money. I remain by my rating for that game ( :gold:)  although it became a little less enjoyable due to the dated controls and occasional poor hit detection/clipping.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2021 at 4:16 PM, Arctic Cress said:

I'll provide a dissenting opinion here. The games get better as the series progresses, with the 3rd being my favorite of the three. I will agree though that the spinoff is not worth the time looking into and was pretty much a waste of time to play.

I mostly agree with this.  The second game is the worst of the three to me, but the third is the best to me.  I'd say play them all and form your own opinions because which games are better than others depends a lot of which cast and protag you like best.  Now trophy wise, it is indeed true that the plats get more annoying and the 3rd game has a very annoying plat to get with it taking longer to wrap up the post game stuff than it takes to beat the game.

Anyway, I wrapped up Trials of Mana and it ended up taking a bit less time than the guide indicates (about 37 hours for me when the guide says 40, but usually I go over by 10+ hours from guide estimates).  Three playthroughs was definitely too much for that game because unless you purposely skip using a character or two, there's really very little new content to that third run outside of a different final boss and pre-final dungeon.  That last playthrough was a complete waste of about 5 hours of my time.  The game has decent enough content for two runs.  Overall, it was decent enough but there are way better action RPGs out there.  Still, it was nice to see Square/Enix actually not ruin the game like they did Secret of Mana, so maybe the Legend of Mana remaster has some hope to be decent enough.

Currently chipping away at Labyrinth of Refrain and so far it's just more of the same, really bland and tedious at best.

I was in the very first edition of this. I failed miserably. One of these days I'm going to have to try it one last time to redeem myself.

I do rememeber my Sherlock Holmes game broke on me and wouldn't work and I couldn't get a replacement copy. I think I just got pissed and quit doing the rest.

• 2 months later...