JRPG suggestions

Jaded_Leviathan

Just finished Persona 5 The royal as it was suggested by a friend, really enjoyed the experience and i am looking for another JRPG game but not as long.

i found the 100+ hours to be a bit daunting and although i enjoyed the story and gameplay by the end i was drained from playing it for so long.

Looking for recommendations for 50 - 70hrs games with 2 or 3 in the series so i don't burn myself out on one particular game, i don't have a ps3 or ps vita so has to be ps4 or ps5.

Thank you guys/gals.

Enjoying this site so far.

I'd probably go with Ni No Kuni (remastered for PS4). Great story, music, design and gameplay is good. I'm pretty picky with my JRPGs and it's easy to get into. Probably clocks in around 75 hours and just requires one playthrough and some minor planning.

Unfortunately, JPRGs tend to be in around 100 hours mark for platinums. 

Edited by pathtoninja

6 minutes ago, Whitelightnin683 said:

Might I suggest Ys: Memories of Celecta and/or Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana? Both are great JRPGS, aren't as long as P5R (trophy guide estimates 60hrs for Celecta and 80 for VIII), and are excellent starting points for newcomers to the series. 

That was exactly my recommendation with me adding Ys IX to the mix.  Tokyo Xanadu eX+ also states it's a 70 hour plat and that game is very much like Persona games.

For a turn based RPG, I'd recommend The Alliance Alive HD Remastered.  As far as I recall that one was around 60-70 hours and the speedrun trophies are a joke on NG+.  Even if it does end up being a bit longer, the game is actually pretty easy along with generally being a lot of fun.  Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits also is 75 hours per the trophy guide along with being generally fun.

Edited by ladynadiad

I'm not sure if I would list them as short but I know they didn't take as long as Persona 5 Royal so from my list I'll recommend these:

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - It's more of an action RPG since you control your movements in fights by dodging and such so there's no turn-based combat. It also has a game that takes place before it called Ys: Memories of Celceta and a sequel that just came out called Ys IX: Monstrum Nox and while I haven't played them I imagine they are just as good as VIII. I'm sure others that have played them could tell you more.

Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ - Similar game to Ys VIII in terms of gameplay. Ex+ is considered the definitive version of the game since it has more content than the Vita version.

I'll also recommend FFVII and FFVIII too. Those are definitely below the 100 hour mark.

Some good JRPG games on the PS4 that I know of are Tales of Zestiria/Berseria, they were around the 60 hour mark iirc unless you want to platinum. Final Fantasy X (HD PS4 remaster) is something I highly recommend playing if you want a more classic style JRPG (but still pretty modern in a way imo). And there's also Nier: Automata which is also a really good game.

• 2 months later...

I’m looking for some good obscure JRPGs too. Preferably games that take a good while to complete. At least 100+ hours.

I’m not interested in Strategy JRPGs so no Disgaea or Mugen Souls or something similar. Also no Sword Art Online games because they look pretty shit.

I’ve played a lot already but there must be some good JRPGs left that I haven’t heard of. I’m well aware of all the big franchises so no need to recommend those.

Thanks.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:47 PM, Baker said:

I’m looking for some good obscure JRPGs too. Preferably games that take a good while to complete. At least 100+ hours.

I’m not interested in Strategy JRPGs so no Disgaea or Mugen Souls or something similar. Also no Sword Art Online games because they look pretty shit.

I’ve played a lot already but there must be some good JRPGs left that I haven’t heard of. I’m well aware of all the big franchises so no need to recommend those.

Thanks.

The Alliance Alive HD Remastered.  Don't think it was quite 100+ hours, but it is a pretty meaty game.  Very reasonable trophy list and a very fun game.  If you're familiar with the Suikoden series, the scenario writer for The Alliance Alive was the same one who was involved in the early Suikoden games.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits.  It's a PS2 classic and also pretty fun.  It's got a battle system similar to Trails of Cold Steel as well, which isn't something you see often and there's also some great music in it.  Seriously, Natural Selection can give some of the better Falcom tracks a run for their money.

Akiba's Trip.  Might seem like an odd rec because it's somewhat fanservicey but it's actually a pretty good action RPG/beat 'em up type game with quirky humor and a surprisingly good plot even if said plot is a bit cheesy at times.  Gameplay is fun and there's a lot of customization since you can choose any sort of weapon you want ranging from serious ones to completely silly gag weapons, pick whatever outfit you might want, etc.  Great game if you're looking for something a bit lighter to play.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight.  Great action RPG where you play a mute servant of a witch who definitely has questionable morals.  I enjoyed this one a lot.  Be wary though, the PS3 version does have freezing issues though I only saw them when going on long runs to farm stuff.  As long as you save often you shouldn't have trouble with the PS3 version.  PS4 version resolves this, but its trophy list is a pain in the butt.  Don't bother with its sequel though.

And if you don't mind some short but good games, can't recommend Kemco RPGs enough and also Ara Fell Enhanced Edition is a great little obscure gem.  Most of these are 20 hours max, but inexpensive games and very fun.

And while I know you're aware of it, I'm surprised to see Ys IX missing. The localization came out in February and it's just as good as every other Ys title.

• Like 2

On 6-5-2021 at 1:33 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

Earthlock, really underrated JRPG done in the old PS1 style of gameplay :)

Thanks. Never heard of this one.

5 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

The Alliance Alive HD Remastered.  Don't think it was quite 100+ hours, but it is a pretty meaty game.  Very reasonable trophy list and a very fun game.  If you're familiar with the Suikoden series, the scenario writer for The Alliance Alive was the same one who was involved in the early Suikoden games.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits.  It's a PS2 classic and also pretty fun.  It's got a battle system similar to Trails of Cold Steel as well, which isn't something you see often and there's also some great music in it.  Seriously, Natural Selection can give some of the better Falcom tracks a run for their money.

Akiba's Trip.  Might seem like an odd rec because it's somewhat fanservicey but it's actually a pretty good action RPG/beat 'em up type game with quirky humor and a surprisingly good plot even if said plot is a bit cheesy at times.  Gameplay is fun and there's a lot of customization since you can choose any sort of weapon you want ranging from serious ones to completely silly gag weapons, pick whatever outfit you might want, etc.  Great game if you're looking for something a bit lighter to play.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight.  Great action RPG where you play a mute servant of a witch who definitely has questionable morals.  I enjoyed this one a lot.  Be wary though, the PS3 version does have freezing issues though I only saw them when going on long runs to farm stuff.  As long as you save often you shouldn't have trouble with the PS3 version.  PS4 version resolves this, but its trophy list is a pain in the butt.  Don't bother with its sequel though.

And if you don't mind some short but good games, can't recommend Kemco RPGs enough and also Ara Fell Enhanced Edition is a great little obscure gem.  Most of these are 20 hours max, but inexpensive games and very fun.

And while I know you're aware of it, I'm surprised to see Ys IX missing. The localization came out in February and it's just as good as every other Ys title.

Ys IX is at the very top of my wishlist. Together with Trails of Cold Steel III & IV. They’re just too expensive at the moment.

I played The Witch and the Hundred Knight demo on PS3 a long time ago. It was alright. But with the revival edition and part 2 on PS4 I should look into those games again.

Never heard of The Alliance Alive so I’ll check it out. I don’t think the other two games are for me.

Thanks.

Edited by Baker