How should developers handle aim assist?

Trumpet_Boi_208

Aim Assist  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How should developers handle aim assist?

• I think it’s fine as it is.
    • Remove it entirely!
    • Rework the aiming system.
    • They should only allow it in specific, non-competitive modes.
    • Separate aim assist users from people who don’t use it in matchmaking
    • Other

Hello everybody.

If you’ve played a competitive shooter before, then you’ve likely stumbled across a setting called “aim assist.” This setting basically tweaks the aiming system so that it is easier for console players to land shots on their enemies, whether that be through a slight snap or slowdown around targets. While there are reasons to think this is perfectly fine, there can be cracks in this intent. This setting can create a big disconnect between people who just want to win, and people who want to get better at the game, putting the latter at a considerable disadvantage without the assist. This gets worse when you factor in games with competitive modes that feature ranking systems, as it can severely detriment the competitive integrity of the game, should it be in place.

There are fair arguments to make on both sides, but what do you think? I’m genuinely curious to see what others think of this system, but please be respectful.

If everybody has access to the same settings, namely Aim Assist, doesn't everyone have a level playing field? Then it becomes a matter of skill attained through practice to advance through any existing ranks?

I'm terrible at First Person Shooters so I don't tend to spend a lot of time in them, with or without Aim Assist.

• Like 1

When it comes to competitive multiplayer, a game should not be making assumptions for anyone.  For or against them.  I don't play first person shooters, but it's the most enraging thing in NHL 21 because the game is probably 70% skill and 30% "EA physics" bending over backwards trying to help or hurt you (by helping the other person).

Competitive online should be 100% skill.  No exceptions.  Or make accessibility features a filterable option in matchmaking.

Edited by Dreakon13

depends. if it gives you a ridiculously competitive edge. i'd say remove it. but if it's designed to help new players i guess, but i don't see how any aim assist that can actually help people would benefit anyone at the start of a game since eventually you'd have to learn, and if you could use it when you did master the game it'd make you unstoppable.

problem isn't the ethics of assisted aiming in games, the problem is the publishers that make the games want everyones money, and not everyone is good at aiming, so assistance will always exist whether it's wanted or not.

if the goal was to prevent new players from being turned away from the game. then force a assisted aim onto everyone for the first 20-30 levels, where the aim will snap to a target but only if you aim down sight whilst aiming very close to the target, to actually train the newbies at aiming, after that literally the only thing you gotta make sure you don't get in the habbit of doing is twitching when you finally do get the aim right. which is where an assist that slows reticles locked on targets would come in handy.

basically the assist needs to actually assist for a bit, not win the game for them. be used as a learning tool and then gradually remove it's effects as progression grows, but as i say it's a moot point, online games chase numbers and big cash, they won't alienate a percentage of possible customers.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

41 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If everybody has access to the same settings, namely Aim Assist, doesn't everyone have a level playing field? Then it becomes a matter of skill attained through practice to advance through any existing ranks?

I'm terrible at First Person Shooters so I don't tend to spend a lot of time in them, with or without Aim Assist.

Pretty spot on. 

I think there is a point in your life when you outgrow FPS games. At least online multiplayer. For me, it was not the fact that I was getting slower, which I noticeably was. It was that I could no longer tolerate the community.

I used to play a lot of FPS competitive games, and to me, this is a complete non-issue.

I left playing FPS competitively years ago, and I wouldn't even put "aim assist" on my top 20 reasons why I stopped playing them. I left mostly because of the toxic community. I was tired of hearing the trash talk, reading hateful PSN messages, playing with obnoxious kids with mics turned up too loud talking trash, team balancing issues/matchmaking, racist emblems/clan tags... I could go on.

Assist mode being the issue though with these games? Nah. Far from it imo.

• Like 2

Voted "it's fine."

I've experimented quite a bit with different assist settings in various games, and came to the conclusion that console shooters are damn near unplayable without some degree of assist. Keep in mind, I'm not referring to auto-aim/snap aim here, but the setting which makes your reticle slower or more "sticky" around targets.