What type of player are you?

Stedde

This has probably already been discussed but I tried to search for a thread but could not find any, so here it goes….

In the world of trophy hunting/gathering there are numerous of different player types approaches you can take. 

For me love, I playing Playstation games and do not look at the trophy list/guide before.

I enjoy the game/story, but with that said I do sometimes glance at trophy guide/list to get a sense what I am getting into. 

When I have completed a game I might move on to a new one or play some old games. But by the end of the day I dream about having 100% on all my games. There is no time pressure on when (unless the shutdown servers and stuff), just the thought that one day I might get there. :) But there are so many good games out there that I want to play.

So to help me focus on som easy therapies that I should have got a long time ago, I love the “Trophy Advisor” feature on this site.

Also the feeling of returning to an old game is also nice, it brings back memories as when I played PES 2010 yesterday on my PS3 and got a trophy!

The different players types I see are:

- The 100% completist (Play a game to 100% before moving on to the next one)

- The player how -Play-a lot-of-games-but-“never” finish any

- Dreamers of becoming 100% completist (like myself)

- The Player who play as may games and "easy" as possible just to gather as many trophies as possible 

What is your approach? What other player types are there?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

There are a multitude of different ways to describe types of gamers so there can't really be just one thread.

I wouldn't say I fit into one distinct type from any of the types described yet though.

Thanks!
I knew there had to be some discussion already. 

There are literally hundreds of threads about this.

I like gaming and trophies are a plus but I don’t get obsessive with them. I don’t look at a guide until after I played the game or after I played it for a few hours. I try out any type of game and I’m not picky, I like games easily. I’m someone that buys games without exactly knowing what it’s about.

I don’t care much about my stats but I do try to get less unearned trophies. Mainly because I started up a lot of games and then not played them after an hour. I was under 7k the other day until I started a new coop game so that went back up over 7k but oh well its not the end of the world.

Right now I’m focused on getting one game platinum at a time than play 10 games and get overwhelmed that I end up deleting them.

• Like 1

I love pretty much all things trophy. I like the accumulation of them. I like going after rare ones. Love hard/easy/grindy/quick games. My completion rate used to be in the 30% because I’m willing to try just about anything and see for myself if I like it or not, and getting that up into the 50% was actually a big deal for me, even though I know some hunters go 90% or go home. I’m just not picky enough to do that, although I respect it. 

• Like 1

I'd say I'm more of a taking the long and winding scenic route on the way to 100% completion of my profile and backlog.  Pretty much I make enough progress towards my goal that it's clear I haven't given up, but overall I'm caring more about enjoying the journey than finishing the journey.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lpgcavazos said:

I used to plat some games. But since I am busy most of my time, not into that anymore; it is very time consuming.

If I get really obsessed with a game I might want all its trophies but it would take me months and months now.

I understand and get what you are saying.
For me the beauty is, that the game will "always" be there in your backlog and one day maybe, one day you return to that old game and it will bring back some old memories and you get that Platinum. Even if it took 10 years todo it. ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ilzaki said:

I'm definitely in the plays alot but "never" finishes them camp.  My completion is forever stuck at 53%.

I tend to end up there aswell, since there soo many good games I have not played yet.
But I have promised myself to use the "Trophy Advisor" here to help me clean up som easy onces and then try to take some old platinums each quarter. ?
I need to bump my % completion! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Generally completionist on any game i enjoy enough trophies or otherwise but there are things i wont do. Rarely is challenge enjoyable so i will gladly skip most things that are actually difficult, a few games have been boring enough to not even want to reach mid game let alone 100%, and then ill pass on trophies/achieves where it asks you to make the game a chore like beat the game without killing, getting caught, etc. 

• Like 1

It depends on the game I play. I usually am the "i play too many games without finishing them" but if I play a game I was waiting for, I'll play it really fast and replay it once or twice.

I'm also the kind of person to play the same video game many times (I also buy the same games on different systems, I own most of my games twice or thrice, don't ask me why). For example, I bought the whole Mass Effect trilogy on PS3, X360 and PC (and of course I preordered the Legendary Edition on PS4) and I must have 2000 hours in total.

1 hour ago, Lady-Rhapsody said:

It depends on the game I play. I usually am the "i play too many games without finishing them" but if I play a game I was waiting for, I'll play it really fast and replay it once or twice.

I'm also the kind of person to play the same video game many times (I also buy the same games on different systems, I own most of my games twice or thrice, don't ask me why). For example, I bought the whole Mass Effect trilogy on PS3, X360 and PC (and of course I preordered the Legendary Edition on PS4) and I must have 2000 hours in total.

I agree. 
For me there are some games that get "special treatment", games that you have been looking forward to for a long tme.
A promise to myself is now with the next gen to become better on finishing a game before allowing myself to buy/play a new one. ?

• Like 1

I’m very selective with the games I want to play because I look for a fun experience before anything else. Generally I don’t play more than 2 games at a time. I am completionist but there are some exceptions, if the grind is just too much I drop it. I like to have a tight % completion so I play games that are excessively grinding on another account.

However I like the challenge if it’s done right and if only depends on the skill of the player. 

Edited by ShinySpidey

I'm very picky.  And I tend to play a game for years (casually; not as a hardcore trophy hound).

I'm still playing Skyrim, and still discovering new places and quests to this day.  

The only reason I'm keeping my eyes open for a Ps5 is to finally have a playable console version of Cyberpunk.   I will easily be playing that game for the next 10 years.