Platinum with controller

Patrickosan

Hey there.

How hard is platinum achievable with default DualShock 3 controller? Too bad the game is not working with external bluetooth controller, as I'm using DualSense for every other game, but this one can't event start with anything other than original DS3. So I would like to know how hard platinum is with normal DS3 controller? Will I struggle or it is nothing complicated? I'm not a newbie when it comes to shooter games :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 10:33 AM, HuntingFever said:

I tried to do this with the Move Controllers but they just made the game many times harder and more annoying so stick to the standard Joypad.

I was the complete opposite. I found it to be much easier with the move controllers. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've just completed Extraction and I have to say it was a lot easier than I thought so I want to give my contribution to whoever might start the game in the future.

At first I was worry because I don't like rail shooters and I was sure the Move controller was recommended for this game, after all it's a porting of the original game on Wii...

Perhaps it's even easier with DualShock 3 instead it took me exactly 2 playthroughs in order to get all trophies and I got most of the 5 stars on Impossible difficulty (didn't notice any difference between Normal and Impossible difficulties to be honest, I didn't die a single time on my Impossible run).

The game is very forgiving as you can basically complete most of the game by using the Rivet Gun on alternate fire (Rivet Gun has infinite ammos) + stasis when lots of necromorphs surround you. 

I would also recommend keeping a close range weapon like Flamethrower (it's very useful here while on DS1 was the worst weapon) or Force Gun and Pulse Rifle against bosses on chapter 6 and 9.

I also noticed that in order to get 5 stars on a level you must perform a ton of dismemberments and Line Gun is probably the best weapon for doing so, it's also worth to note that the alternate fire of the Ripper is a badass thing as well. Of course try also to be very accurate with weapons and stasis. It doesn't really matter if you take a lot of damage apparently as soon as you have excellent stats with accuracy, stasis and dismemberments but you won't have issues at all if you build an arsenal of weapons composed with: Rivet Gun (its default and cannot be changed), Pulse Rifle, Flamethrower/Force Gun, Line Gun/Ripper.

The challenges weren't a problem too you as can spam L2 move that will protect you from close enemies and keep dismembering them with Line Gun/Ripper + Force Gun/Flamethrower for taking multiple enemies down at the same time.

Try also to build long streaks so you will receive higher points.

I really enjoyed the game story wise as it explains what happened before Isaac Clarke and his crew landed on the Ishimura, gameplay was kinda meh because of the nature of the game but I got this for free with my Limited Edition of DS2 so I won't complain too much.

The plat is super easy probably a 4/10 or 5/10 at most.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 2021-03-24 at 4:52 AM, Agent_Renegade22 said:

I've just completed Extraction and I have to say it was a lot easier than I thought so I want to give my contribution to whoever might start the game in the future.

At first I was worry because I don't like rail shooters and I was sure the Move controller was recommended for this game, after all it's a porting of the original game on Wii...

Perhaps it's even easier with DualShock 3 instead it took me exactly 2 playthroughs in order to get all trophies and I got most of the 5 stars on Impossible difficulty (didn't notice any difference between Normal and Impossible difficulties to be honest, I didn't die a single time on my Impossible run).

The game is very forgiving as you can basically complete most of the game by using the Rivet Gun on alternate fire (Rivet Gun has infinite ammos) + stasis when lots of necromorphs surround you. 

I would also recommend keeping a close range weapon like Flamethrower (it's very useful here while on DS1 was the worst weapon) or Force Gun and Pulse Rifle against bosses on chapter 6 and 9.

I also noticed that in order to get 5 stars on a level you must perform a ton of dismemberments and Line Gun is probably the best weapon for doing so, it's also worth to note that the alternate fire of the Ripper is a badass thing as well. Of course try also to be very accurate with weapons and stasis. It doesn't really matter if you take a lot of damage apparently as soon as you have excellent stats with accuracy, stasis and dismemberments but you won't have issues at all if you build an arsenal of weapons composed with: Rivet Gun (its default and cannot be changed), Pulse Rifle, Flamethrower/Force Gun, Line Gun/Ripper.

The challenges weren't a problem too you as can spam L2 move that will protect you from close enemies and keep dismembering them with Line Gun/Ripper + Force Gun/Flamethrower for taking multiple enemies down at the same time.

Try also to build long streaks so you will receive higher points.

I really enjoyed the game story wise as it explains what happened before Isaac Clarke and his crew landed on the Ishimura, gameplay was kinda meh because of the nature of the game but I got this for free with my Limited Edition of DS2 so I won't complain too much.

The plat is super easy probably a 4/10 or 5/10 at most.

Thanks for offering your thoughts on this game. I just realized I have a copy that game with my Dead Space 2 disc and was hyped for more Dead Space and a free platinum. But after looking up some gameplay footage I was a bit taken aback. It was clearly designed for Wii/Move type controllers and the videos I watched gave the impression that it would be really difficult and disorienting using a Dualshock controller.

I’m glad to hear that you found everything very doable and enjoyed the backstory as well! I think for the sake of the story I’ll probably give this one a shot before diving in to Dead Space 2.

• Like 2