MVPP [Mar 2021] [Win Prize] [Sign up closed]

3 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It seems to me that with the point differential not being that big, that means the most efficient way to grind trophies is just to play mid range games, e.g. games just hard enough to get above 2000 points, but no harder, because the extra difficulty of very rare trophies won't give enough points to make up for the extra time / effort put in compared to a mid-range game.

It could be a strategy, however the risk is that a game that is just above 2 000p might fall off the list and not be counted since "everybody/many people" will do it/complete it and the game will not be included anymore due to being under 2000 p.
We will just test and see, because that's why we are here. Have fun, challenge our backlogs and complete some games! ?

4 minutes ago, Caquis_1 said:

I will also join this one, I think I'll do better than the February Challenge as I will have more free time. 

Welcome back Caquis_1.
You have been added!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It seems to me that with the point differential not being that big, that means the most efficient way to grind trophies is just to play mid range games, e.g. games just hard enough to get above 2000 points, but no harder, because the extra difficulty of very rare trophies won't give enough points to make up for the extra time / effort put in compared to a mid-range game.

This definitely seems like the play. It would be a bit trickier if it went off of the PSNP rarity instead, as PSN rarity tends to be a lot lower since it's from everybody and not just majorly trophy hunters. But in the end, enjoying what you're playing is ultimately what matters for most people I'd imagine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Ya, it's probably the best way to tackle it, but would require some digging and math to see what counts and what doesn't, so even if someone goes  that route, they will at least be forced to do a little reseach! (way better then just go to PSN and buy as much Ratalaika games as they can..)

I also avoided make a comment about the numbers because I didn't wanted to bring the subject to a lot  of light.

Since the points max multiplier is essentially 2, any 2 faster platinum will always be worth as much as a way harder game.

For reference, initially when I asked about how our already started game would be scored, @Stedde mentioned that Persona 5 Royal is under 2000 points and don't count, but with my latest question to check he mentioned that Light Fairytale Episode 1 is eligible. Persona 5 Royal, like most are familiar, even though is easier than the original Persona 5, is still quite a long platinum. On the other hand, Light Fairytale is a 3-4 hours platinum without rushing (from what I read)...

It fits well my plan to get 28 trophies for February event really fast, and by extension for the March event, otherwise I wouldn't even mention the subject.

I do believe that I have a few other similar things in my backlog, but I will keep those ideas for me (in the case that I actually manage to get Danganrompa 2 plat next month..).

Still, the event should be more about fun, than about discussing rarity and points (otherwise we turn this into another of those beaten to death trophy rarity discussions. THERE'S NO PERFECT SYSTEM)!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ya, it's probably the best way to tackle it, but would require some digging and math to see what counts and what doesn't, so even if someone goes  that route, they will at least be forced to do a little reseach! (way better then just go to PSN and buy as much Ratalaika games as they can..)

I also avoided make a comment about the numbers because I didn't wanted to bring the subject to a lot  of light.

Since the points max multiplier is essentially 2, any 2 faster platinum will always be worth as much as a way harder game.

For reference, initially when I asked about how our already started game would be scored, @Stedde mentioned that Persona 5 Royal is under 2000 points and don't count, but with my latest question to check he mentioned that Light Fairytale Episode 1 is eligible. Persona 5 Royal, like most are familiar, even though is easier than the original Persona 5, is still quite a long platinum. On the other hand, Light Fairytale is a 3-4 hours platinum without rushing (from what I read)...

It fits well my plan to get 28 trophies for February event really fast, and by extension for the March event, otherwise I wouldn't even mention the subject.

I do believe that I have a few other similar things in my backlog, but I will keep those ideas for me (in the case that I actually manage to get Danganrompa 2 plat next month..).

Still, the event should be more about fun, than about discussing rarity and points (otherwise we turn this into another of those beaten to death trophy rarity discussions. THERE'S NO PERFECT SYSTEM)!

For me it will be a fun test to see as-well. For example if Light Fairytale Episode 1 is that "fast/easy", how long will it be eligible since maybe "everybody" will jump on it?
I will lean and adapt and maybe we will find the perfect system, who knows? ?

As I stated in the opening post, by entering you will also be part of two other MVPP leaderboards, that are more longterm and it will be fun to see the effect on those list as-well. 
This will be fun! ?

2 hours ago, Savage_Sarabi said:

I'm going to pass on this month's contest as I just want to start my games I recently bought and not worry so much about completion, but I'll be back for the next bracket challenge cuz I had so much fun with the last one!

See you in a couple of months then! ?
Maybe this contest is not for everybody and the timing is not good for some reason, but I am glad that I can offer other contest that you enjoy!

Edited by Stedde
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 4:43 PM, Stedde said:

It could be a strategy, however the risk is that a game that is just above 2 000p might fall off the list and not be counted since "everybody/many people" will do it/complete it and the game will not be included anymore due to being under 2000 p.
We will just test and see, because that's why we are here. Have fun, challenge our backlogs and complete some games! 1f60a.png

I think it's fairly unlikely that we'll see too much shift on the PSN values of the trophies due to the large amount of players not accounted for. It'd be much riskier if it was based off of this site's rarities, but that would also require a new threshold since most are typically less rare when compared to other hunters. That said, I do believe it's fine the way it is.

8 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Having a spreadsheet set up for calculating trophy rarities might be easier for this because otherwise we'll need to manually ask anytime we're unsure about a game, I think.

I think the plan is to have some sort of page where you can search to see if the game qualifies. Personally, I wouldn't even mind if we needed to copy the game page from this site into a calculator. Regardless, my fingers are crossed that it's fairly quick to check if a game is eligible or not.

• Like 1

Great Lojtana!
You have been added.

4 hours ago, AuburnDRM said:

I think the plan is to have some sort of page where you can search to see if the game qualifies. Personally, I wouldn't even mind if we needed to copy the game page from this site into a calculator. Regardless, my fingers are crossed that it's fairly quick to check if a game is eligible or not.

Correct.
That is the plan.

• Like 1

I'll jump in with some questions as well.

1- You mention in the opening that the trophies only count once you achieve Plat/100%. With the 2000 points threshold, is there any game that dosen't have a plat that qualifies for that? As the Plat has a base value of 300 (up to 600), it's a pretty big chunk to catch up in trophies without it.

2- Will DLC trophies be calculated as well? It says that games are counted up to the plat without DLC, but if we were to do DLC trophies, would they count?

Apart from that, can't wait to see all that you've cooked up for this; both the point checker as well as the updating leaderboards. Can't wait to start!

2 minutes ago, ArtikSkarab said:

I'll jump in with some questions as well.

1- You mention in the opening that the trophies only count once you achieve Plat/100%. With the 2000 points threshold, is there any game that dosen't have a plat that qualifies for that? As the Plat has a base value of 300 (up to 600), it's a pretty big chunk to catch up in trophies without it.

2- Will DLC trophies be calculated as well? It says that games are counted up to the plat without DLC, but if we were to do DLC trophies, would they count?

Apart from that, can't wait to see all that you've cooked up for this; both the point checker as well as the updating leaderboards. Can't wait to start!

1) Yes, there is some games that actual are over 2000 p but has no platinum. Just an example:
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/256-the-mysteries-of-little-riddle (around 2 300p) has a lot of trophies (Gold & Silver) but no platinum.

So these are not eligible for contest.

2) No, DLC is it's own "game". So DLC trophies will not count.

I am glad you are looking forward to the contest! ?

Sorry if I missed someone else asking this already but should we be shucking off trophies we earn prior to the event.  I assume we should but I wanna be certain.  For instance, I'm looking at Tales of Symphonia, which I already have 5 in.  Do I need to deduct those points from the final total, and should I deduct those when determining if it qualifies as having 2000?

46 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

No, for the calculations to see if is eligible, you use the full trophy list. But you will only be credited for the trophies that you earn during the month.

So, if a game is worth over 2000 points, but you are only 1 trophy away from the platinum, you will only get the points for that trophy + the platinum, not the full trophy list points.

Correct.
Thanks for filling in Han_the_Dragon.

I have a question about the year-long leaderboard. For example, if someone starts a game and gets half the trophies in March and the other half in April, will the whole game's worth of points count towards the yearly list or only the points earned in April?

As the contest is oficially started, I've already put in my first game: Goosebumps: The Game. A pretty simple point-and-click game that is doable in 3 hours with a guide. If you have PS Now, it's a pretty easy clear that somehow worth around 2400 points if my calculations are correct.

Speaking of calculations, I made a simple Goggle Sheet to try to calculate point values a bit easier until Stredde's site is live. Feel free to make a copy of it and use it to do some quick check-in for games you're not sure.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19nYVtr6d90ANowT2pssuHKmPvm7jyd9fesS5qpNdj-M/edit?usp=sharing

Have some more quickie games to put at first, but the main game that I would like to clear is finishing up Need for Speed: Most Wanted that I started for the February challenge, but those races are pretty difficult (only tried Turning Point once and I already know I will hate it). Hopefully, I get good enough luck to do it, but we will see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AuburnDRM said:

I have a question about the year-long leaderboard. For example, if someone starts a game and gets half the trophies in March and the other half in April, will the whole game's worth of points count towards the yearly list or only the points earned in April?

Only the trophies you earned in April would count.
Each month is a open/close contest, so you need to finish the game within the month.

However, the game would of course be part fo Hall of Platimon. ?

6 hours ago, Sptj7 said:

I enjoyed the February contest even if I didnt finish all the missions 1f641.png so I'd live to sign up for this one too

Nice to hear!
You have been signed up Sptj7.

Like ArtikSkarab said, we have now officially started the March contest, but the contest will be open the whole month if we have any who would like to you at anytime.
My goal is the release the site this week!

Good luck everybody!

• Like 2