PS3 turns on only after video settings reset

iliya0212

Hello everyone,

So I have been having a weird issue. I bought a used PS3 a few days ago and it worked without any issues for a few days. Today I tried to turn it on and it had a second beep and a blinking red light. I read online that it might mean an overheating issue. The thing is that it only happens from cold boot and goes away if I reset video output settings by long pressing power button.. Anyone have an idea of what could it be?

Don't really want to take it apart unless it's really necessary.

37 minutes ago, iliya0212 said:

Don't really want to take it apart unless it's really necessary.

None of what you're describing sounds like any of it could be good. Which model PS3 did you buy? Being that you bought it used, I would at minimum open it to clear out any dust in the unit. While you're in there, it wouldn't hurt to change out the thermal paste as that can alleviate a lot of potential issues and it's probably fairly dried out no matter its level of use.

Opening it up is a relatively simple process, lots of great tutorials and videos all over the place. I recommend ifixit's guides.

Off the top of my head, the thermal paste is drying/dried out and not making good contact and is your console warms up, it becomes a bit more malleable and makes contact and starts pulling heat away like it's supposed to. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

None of what you're describing sounds like any of it could be good. Which model PS3 did you buy? Being that you bought it used, I would at minimum open it to clear out any dust in the unit. While you're in there, it wouldn't hurt to change out the thermal paste as that can alleviate a lot of potential issues and it's probably fairly dried out no matter its level of use.

Opening it up is a relatively simple process, lots of great tutorials and videos all over the place. I recommend ifixit's guides.

Off the top of my head, the thermal paste is drying/dried out and not making good contact and is your console warms up, it becomes a bit more malleable and makes contact and starts pulling heat away like it's supposed to. 

I got a slim model. And you are right, I might have to do it, shouldn't be too bad. Thank you for advice!

• Like 1

So, after it didn't turn on again today I decided that I rather do something than nothing. After hours of tinkering, taking it apart, cleaning it, replacing thermal paste and making sure that the fan works perfectly I am happy to announce that it's.. still dead fml...

Luckily I bought it as a second console and my original PS3 still works, but damn is it disappointing. I guess I just wasn't lucky with this one. Thank you @DaivRules for trying to help :)

Edited by iliya0212
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blazkowicz6 said:

That person knew he was selling a dead PS3. 1f621.png

I had the same problem with beeps and blinking red light,also replaced thermal paste but it didn't help it was some other major problem.

Maybe that's why the price was pretty good.. anyway not much I can do about it.. Actually managed to boot it again, worked in home screen but died within couple minutes in game :/