Favorite DLC in a game and why?

SanguinousRex

Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards DLC for Dungeon Defenders (PS3).

The first two maps were amazing for farming high level armor (Mistymire Forest) and insanely high level weapons (Moraggo Desert Town). After farming for dozens of hours, it gave me OP gear that I could share with friends to help get them interested in the game and overcome some of the learning curve and improve their experience.

The Witcher 3: both DLC’s. I love the storylines in both these DLC’s and I love the endings. It gives the game more depth and I wouldn’t even mind if the DLC’s were more expensive because they feel like a game on their own. :)

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 1

The Last Of Us: Left Behind. Wow that was an amazing addition to the story. And i liked the pacing with some chapters being combat focused while others are story focused :) The one time i bought a dlc for full price and felt it was the right choice.

Borderlands 2: Assault on Tiny Tina's Dragon Keep. This was a crazy crossover with tons of jokes and easter eggs. The best moments with Claptrap around included here. The best DLC for Borderlands. Even one friend who didn't like the Borderlands 2 story at all had lots of fun playing this dlc with me :)

Honorable mention to Trine 2: Goblin Menace. Cheating a bit since this is base game content in the Trine 2 PS4 version but it's not in the PS3 version and it adds up some really beatiful sceneries and new typs of puzzles. Trine 2 is the best of the series and having more levels to play is great :P  :D 

• Like 2

The Division Survival is the best dlc I've played, I probably played it more than the base game and i still run through it. I don't know what it is exactly that makes it so enjoyable because every run is almost the same, optimising and trimming a run is very satisfying. 

For anyone not familiar with the format you are dropped at the edge of the map with nothing and on a 1 hour timer. You must make it to the center of the map to call in an evac and escape all the while trying to keep warm, eat, drink and take medication to extend your timer and fighting increasingly difficult enemies and other players if you choose to do so.

It probably doesn't sound that good on paper and its pretty dead now, 1 maybe 2 players on a server but it really is awesome and is some of the most fun I've had with a video game.

Also honourable mention to XCOM 2 War of the Chosen for Pratal Mox if nothing else.

Also want to add Community Challenge Pack from Arkham Knight, a true test which really pushed me but was very satisfying, especially Perfect Freeflowing all 4 characters in Monarch Theatre.

Edited by elpoko
Batman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I've only ever played Metro 2033 Redux (I own Metro: Last Light Redux, but haven't played it) is the Sam's Story DLC good too? Less so? Straight up bad?

imo Sam's Story is also really great, it's a bit more like Exodus itself with a large, semi-open map. As a fan of the main game, I enjoyed it a lot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I've only ever played Metro 2033 Redux (I own Metro: Last Light Redux, but haven't played it) is the Sam's Story DLC good too? Less so? Straight up bad?

I loved Sam's Story - The Two Colonels is more of a "Let's go back to 2033/Last Light style gameplay but with the new engine" - as it is a kind of throwback to those games vis-a-vis setting.

You are back in the Metro (albeit a different Metro than the ones from the previous games) which is fun, but fairly familiar in scope and style.

Sam's Story is closer to Metro: Exodus' main game play - you are in the open world, but across the coast in a different area that has been affected differently from the 3 main biomes of the main game.

It's more like, say, a Fallout 4: Far Harbour add on, (but in the context of Metro gameplay obviously,) where you have a completely new environment type to contend with, whereas The Two Colonels is more like Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea dlc's, taking you back to the style of a previous game for a bit of nostalgia.

You should absolutely play Last Light and Exodus if you enjoyed 2033 BTW - the games just get better as they progress IMO. I liked 2033, and loved Last Light, to the extent that I was fully expecting Exodus to be good, but not be able to live up to the high bar that had been set...

I thought it cleared it with room to spare.

Fantastic series of games!

I cant choose the most favorite DLC, but some really good DLC´s I played were :

TLoU : Left Behind - Great DLC that completes the first game with Ellie and Riley story, and great ending music too.

Bioshock Infinte: Burial at Sea 1 and 2 - It left me completely stunned how they managed to connect all the bioshock games and story into those 2 additional content.

GTA : Episodes From Liberty City : Played them a long time ago, but the episodes and missions were excellent, especially TBoGT one.

The Evil Within - Bioshock style like DLC that is tied to the main game, really liked Executioner too.

Mirrors Edge : Pure Time Trials - This is different one, although it doesnt have any story connection to the main game, I really enjoyed playing time trials on these tracks, even though it was decent challenge to master them for Superstar trophy.

Red Dead Redemption : Undead Nightmare - Love how they introduced zombie world into this Rockstar western world.

There were sure other good DLC´s, last played were Wolfenstein 2 and they were good but these i wrote gave me best memories.

Edited by crowizard
  • Like 1

Burnout paradise

it was my first ps3 title and platinum.

Big surf island, cops and robbers, legendary cars, toy cars, bikes etc.  dlc added so much to an already fun world to drive and race in

, put in a lot of hours online with friends doing challenges, excellent dlc.

Trials fusion, the dlc for this game added some pretty wicked tracks and the fact you can play online with just one person purchasing the dlc made it all the better, a previous forum I was on this was a popular game night title we had a lot of laughs with it.

• Like 1

Mass Effect 3: Citadel - The DLC was full of fan service, from breaking the fourth wall to funny exchanges, it was clear the cast had fun returning for this one. Being able to interact one last time with your crew was such a treat. Everyone wanted to spend time with you seeing or doing something. The Armax Arsenal Arena was a really fun simulation to partake in as well.

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine - The DLC was absolutely gorgeous with its color palette. It added a lot of new interesting enemies, incredible new quests and added mutations. The fact it won numerous Game of the Year awards when it's only a DLC speaks volumes to its content.

• Like 1

All FFXV DLC!

I was lucky enough to play the Royal Edition so most of them were already in the game, if I had to pay and wait  for all of them I probably ended up hating them...

Each Episode add so much to the story (not you Gladio, but you are still cool), we could even say that the main game is incomplete without them so I'm not sure if they are a good example, but I do enjoy them a lot, Comrades included!

Actually I'm not a big fan of DLCs, but I do enjoy additional characters in game that I play a lot such as Dissidia Final Fantasy NT and Disgea.

Also NUNS4 DLC were good, especially Road to Boruto :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Konzel-Erre said:

All FFXV DLC!

I was lucky enough to play the Royal Edition so most of them were already in the game, if I had to pay and wait  for all of them I probably ended up hating them...

Each Episode add so much to the story (not you Gladio, but you are still cool), we could even say that the main game is incomplete without them so I'm not sure if they are a good example, but I do enjoy them a lot, Comrades included!

I've been thinking about trying to do some of the dlc for FFXV, (I have most of it installed, but haven't touched that game since platinizing it before any DLC was released. Can I ask, do the DLCs' contents spread throughout the main game, or are they accessed from separate menus?

Basically - would I be best just replaying the full game with the dlc's installed, or just tackle them individually on my completed game save? 

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I've been thinking about trying to do some of the dlc for FFXV, (I have most of it installed, but haven't touched that game since platinizing it before any DLC was released. Can I ask, do the DLCs' contents spread throughout the main game, or are they accessed from separate menus?

Basically - would I be best just replaying the full game with the dlc's installed, or just tackle them individually on my completed game save? 

You have to access Episode [character] from the main menu. You can play each Episode whenever you want and when you finish one you obtain a weapon and a costume for the used character (... and maybe also a new skill, but I don't recall well).

Comrades now is a separate game so you'll have to select it in the menu from FFXV and re-dowload it for free as a new game with a stand-alone trophy list.

So yes, you don't have to play the game from the beginning ;)

• Like 1

Pretty much any DLC for Dead by Daylight since it adds new content. 

But for single player I have to say TLoU Left Behind is truly amazing. You get to know Ellie better and the DLC is pretty much needed to understand TLoU 2. Exactly everything about that DLC is spectacular in every way. Might even consider it better then the base game. 

Edited by Quink666

I don't think there are many DLC out there that have really wow'd me.  By the time I finish most games, which is rare in and of itself, I'm done with them and ready to move on... so even quality DLC tends to feel excessive.  No less the way DLC's often feel unsatisfyingly short, forced and less interesting/significant than the base game.

I guess if I had to pick one, I'll just say Final Fantasy XIV's expansions.  If they count.  I have more patience with the longevity of online games and story/content-wise the expansions in FFXIV have been good to great.  On par with, if not better than, the single player Final Fantasy's.

Edited by Dreakon13

Ghost of Tsushima: Legends DLC - I thoroughly enjoyed the RAID and survival mode in this DLC.  Still can't believe it was free.

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare - After finishing the main story, it was fun to jump back into the game with entirely new enemies to play against and to add a bit of levity to a very serious game.

Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina DLC - Add on content for Borderlands games can be hit or miss (just look at season 1 pass vs season 2 for the current game).  The Tiny Tina DLC is by far the team's crowning achievement.  Aesthetically it felt very different from the main game, added about 8-10 hours of content and was hilarious.

• Like 1

Darkest Dungeon: Crimson Court

Adds lots of new elements and content to the base game. Also Vampires as insects are quite disturbing in my book.

Muramasa Rebirth: A Cause to Daikon For

Easily the best story out of four. Both sad and funny. Hack'n slash where you play as... a bunch of peasants is brilliant.

P.S.

Am I the only one who wasn't pissed about Asura's Wrath last chapter situation and found it fulfilling just as I found the base game quite fulfilling as well? Asking for a friend, lol.

Edited by VegaMan-X4

I don't play much DLC, but some great ones are Bloodborne's DLC ("The Old Hunters"), The Witcher 3's DLC (both of them, though I enjoyed the story of "Hearts of Stone" more, and the gameplay of "Blood and Wine" more). 

But the hands down best DLC ever for me is The Shivering Isles for Oblivion. So. Much. Great. Content.

• Like 1

Don't really like DLCs, but some if them are fantastic, and I cannot deny it.

- FF XV Episode  Gladio, the story setup, the characterization  of Gladio, who he really needed after the main game, Gilgamesh, the "training arc", I'm always a sucker for training in dangerous conditions so that you exceed and reach out to find the "ancient" truth from a powerful Deity, here Gilgamesh took basically the role of Bahamut for Gladio, and the whole   training kinda reminded me of early Bleach with Urahara and Zangetsu, 2004-ish I think?  If you're going for the 100% you'll definitely  feel yourself  Gladio's tribulation  with A new Blademaster trophy

- Borderlands  2 Tiny Tina DLC  it could be argued  that this could be an entire new game, with the amount of content and scenarios, even had  a surprising serious moment  at the end regarding loss, for Borderlands  standards, that is.

- Dark Souls 2 The search for the crowns I'll just add all 3 of them here, as it's just a big expansion with you collecting the other 3 crowns, so that you, supposedly, break free from the hollow curse, the game opens up new areas and some of the best bosses of the entire franchise, not including the graverobbers.

- Bloodborne was also a great DLC, a problem with the soulsborne franchise, is that we never witness past moments, this sorta handled that, they even added a secret boss, wasn't required for them to do so, though it guves closure for the Founder of the Healing Church

- Witcher 3 Heart of Stone: Man of Mirror carries the entire story, and it makes me sad he had a very short stay in the base game

• Like 1

I'd have to say Final Fantasy XV. It's like the game was incomplete without it. I waited for all but the final piece to be released to fully enjoy it even though I spent quite a bit on the launch day special edition.  I've plat'd it twice for each hundred plats and am on my 3rd play now. Not sure if I'll do it for 400 but the game is always so good to go back to(especially with more trophies to re-do).

All of the skyrim dlcs really, even the house building one . I can't have a skyrim playthrough where I don't adopt a family and live in the countryside ?

Though I would say the dragonborn dlc is the best skyrim dlc, it added a lot of great stuff. 

This could be replaced by the oblivion dlcs one day but I haven't actually played them yet so this selection is subject to change.

• Like 1