Does trophy hunting enhance a game or is it a burden?

BedlamLugosi

I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe that trophies are the game.

Of course, that comes with its own set of burdens. That means I will play games just for trophies, while avoiding some because of a daunting, slightly impossible list. Devs walk a fine line trying to balance their lists with creativity and challenge.

Don’t get me wrong, with over 700 games played I’m willing to try most things, but this discourse means I do my research before buying a game unless it’s one I can’t avoid, like hopefully the release of Dungeon Defenders Awakened on ps4 one bright and sunny day...

I try not to hold anything against Devs whose lists bothered me emotionally when it’s all said and done. But their occasional trolling is pretty funny. Cloudberry Kingdom comes to mind. To me, that’s just giving trophy hunters the middle finger.

But what’s more hilarious is when one of us, and there’s always at least one, gives them the finger back and actually finishes it.

Justice.

• Like 1

Depends. Bloodborne had an excellent list without overstaying its welcome. 

Some games I played had some grindy trophies for their lists, which includes spending a majority of time going for these lone trophies outside of the story and the good content.

These include:

1. Driving 1000 miles in one of Mafia II’s DLC packs for example.

2. Take the Cannoli trophy in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which required me to leave my controller rubberbanded while I had a helicopter shoot at a truck for hours on end, just after I fired approximately 101 gunshots at a random crate. Complete waste of time and utterly unnecessary. 

Edited by AJ_Radio

I think it can be both an enhancement and a burden.

Some games I probably wouldn't have appreciated as much if I didn't spend more time with them getting a platinum/100%, but some games like Thief...it tends to make me loathe a game that I normally I would like. Probably more games it's a burden though as it forces you the play not for fun.

Most folks here probably already know my thoughts but I lean towards burden. As someone with a degree of OCD they can take away fun from a game this is why I started using an offline dummy account for a lot of games. While they can sometimes enhance games more often than not they are a burden.

Granted how the list is done can also have a lot to do with it, is the list forcing you to play a certain way or make certain decisions? Do they have you beating the highest difficulty with 100% in the lowest possible time or highest possible rank? Or do the trophies flow with the gameplay and are they interwoven in to the narrative? Are you chasing tons of collectibles or are you at the mercy of RNG?

When people say things like "they are optional" while that may be true for most people when you have OCD it is not that simple. I feel that developers need to add in an option at the very start of the game that would say "Would you like to install trophies". If you say "No" you could install them later from the options menu, whether the trophies would pop retroactively would be up to the developer.

I will not deny that they can have their merits they are more of a burden in the long run.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...