Introducing the next generation of VR on PlayStation

Aranea Highwind

• 9 months later...

During its CES 2022 press conference, Sony shared new details on its upcoming successor to the PSVR, confirming that the PSVR 2 is in fact the name of the headset.

During the press conference, Sony dropped a lot of new information on the highly anticipated headset. This includes the name of the controllers, which are officially called the Sense Controllers, which will offer things such as haptic feedback, a trademark feature available in the DualSense controller. The PSVR 2 will offer new sensory features, improved controls tracking, foveated rendering, and upgraded visual fidelity.

The latest PS Blog post notes that the PSVR 2 will feature an OLED display with a 2000 x 2040 per eye panel resolution. The headset will also support 90Hz and 120Hz, with a field of view of approximately 110 degrees.

Sony also notes that the PVSR 2 will include 4 cameras on the headset and a controller tracking IR camera for per eye tracking. While the headset is also confirmed to include headset-based controller tracking. "Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera," Sony notes in the blog post.

In addition to new information on the PSVR 2, Sony also announced one of the first new games confirmed to run on the next-gen headset. Horizon Call of the Mountain, which is being co-developed by Guerrilla Games and Firesprite Games, the latter was acquired by PlayStation last September. No additional details on the game as of yet, but Sony says the game is "being built specifically for PS VR2 and will open the doors for players to go deeper into the world of Horizon."

Some new details on the PSVR 2

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 4

I am most excited about the new Sense controllers we will get. Was always jealous of the Oculus Quest 2 and other PC VR controllers that operate like a Move controller but have two joysticks. Sucked having to choose Dual Shock 4 or Move controllers for certain games that would have been much better by having the benefits of both.

Also 4K HDR will be nice. It puts it above a lot of PC VR rigs even. There’s only a handful of 5K sets and not surprisingly they’re uber expensive. I don’t see Sony charging over a thousand dollars a set. They want it in more households so 4K HDR it is and it will look beautiful. It’s a far cry from the PSVR1’s visual quality.

It shall be mine.

• Like 1

Exciting news to start 2022 with! Looking forward to seeing the new hardware up close and the new titles yet to be announced. This will be my first experience entry into the VR space. Will plan on purchasing when pre-orders are announced.

• Like 3

interested to see more, especially the price, I wish this new Horizon experience was a free mode included in Forbidden West, but most likely it will be a $70 standalone release, which is... hard to justify compared to the real 50 hour game

Edited by RedTitan_RedKing

On 2/23/2021 at 3:11 PM, MikeCheck-- said:

Makes sense! Right now it’s “PS4, VR”. I suppose for next gen it’ll be “PS5, VR.”

Even if backwards compatibility works, that would fall under “PS4, VR.” Thanks for the input 1f643.png

The API doesn't actually mark any games with VR. We have to add that manually for all VR games. This will likely be the case with PS5, where the API will only mark them as PS5 and needing the VR to be tagged manually after scanning and checking. Since this is the case already, this will mean also that new PS5 lists for existing PS4 VR games will be likely.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 1:13 PM, Dreggit said:

Since this is the case already, this will mean also that new PS5 lists for existing PS4 VR games will be likely.

I expect developers to patch their games forward to VR2, not re-release them. Seems anti consumer in that way. You'd be playing it on PSVR2 but would unlock trophies for the PSVR1 list. Similar to how God of War got a PS5 enhancement. You're playing the PS5 'version' but save and trophies from PS4 are unlocked. I knew that they had to be tagged manually, I'm just curious as to how it'll be tagged. I see it going one of two ways, what do you think?

1.) Continued “VR”. This means that whether you earn trophies on PSVR1 or PSVR2, it all counts towards one leaderboard.

Standard tags:
Cross release (if only one trophy list for both headsets):         (PS4, PS5, VR)
VR1 list:                                                                                    (PS4, VR) - Indicates VR1 as PS4 tagged. PS4 = VR1
VR2 list:                                                                                    (PS5, VR) - Indicates VR2 as PS5 is required for PSVR2

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2.) Three Leaderboards: A new leaderboard is created for PSVR2, much like how PS3 ---> PS4 ---> PS5. You would have the current "VR" leaderboard, a new "VR2" leaderboard and then a combined "ALL" which includes VR and VR2 on one leaderboard (basically how it is now for flat games)

Standard tags:
VR1 list:                                                                                       (PS4, VR) 
VR2 list:                                                                                       (PS5, VR2)

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

1.) Continued “VR”. This means that whether you earn trophies on PSVR1 or PSVR2, it all counts towards one leaderboard.

Standard tags:
Cross release (if only one trophy list for both headsets):         (PS4, PS5, VR)

2.) Three Leaderboards: A new leaderboard is created for PSVR2, much like how PS3 ---> PS4 ---> PS5. You would have the current "VR" leaderboard, a new "VR2" leaderboard and then a combined "ALL" which includes VR and VR2 on one leaderboard (basically how it is now for flat games)

Standard tags:
Cross release (if only trophy lists for both headsets):                  (PS4, PS5, VR, VR2)

There is no scenario in where any VR game will share both a PS4 and PS5 tag at the same time. PS4 and PS5 lists are separate due to incompatibility between how those are programmed. Now, whether or not Sony will make a notation of difference between VR and VR2 is what matters for PSNP in the grand scheme. If Sony does not have a different notation, and continues to use the current VR notation in the store, then PSNP will probably not make a new leaderboard for VR2 since Sony does not specify a unique notation for it on their store.

For example, consider a VR game that exists now, like this one. The store page explicitly notates the platform as PS4 and has a note of " VR headset required." If this game were rereleased on PS5 with a new store page and trophy list for VR2, if the store only notates it as PS5, like it does with the PS4 release, and uses the same note of "VR headset required," then PSNP is likely not going to create a new leaderboard for it. Of course an argument can be made that there should be one, but keep in mind that other hardware additions like the PSCamera and PSMove are not given dedicated leaderboards despite there being games of that niche within the trophy space. I cannot speak on Sly's behalf and definitively say anyway one way or another, but what I would suspect to likely happen is that VR and VR2 games will be counted in the same VR leaderboard if Sony does not recognize it as a new platform in the API.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreggit said:

For example, consider a VR game that exists now, like this one. The store page explicitly notates the platform as PS4 and has a note of " VR headset required." If this game were rereleased on PS5 with a new store page and trophy list for VR2, if the store only notates it as PS5, like it does with the PS4 release, and uses the same note of "VR headset required," then PSNP is likely not going to create a new leaderboard for it. Of course an argument can be made that there should be one, but keep in mind that other hardware additions like the PSCamera and PSMove are not given dedicated leaderboards despite there being games of that niche within the trophy space. I cannot speak on Sly's behalf and definitively say anyway one way or another, but what I would suspect to likely happen is that VR and VR2 games will be counted in the same VR leaderboard if Sony does not recognize it as a new platform in the API.

This makes a lot of sense, thank you so much for your detailed response. It seriously could go either way, and either way is fine honestly (just a waiting game I suppose). I agree in thinking if Sony just has games listed as PS5 and "VR headset required" then that would indicate enough information for people to understand that it is VR2 since a PS5 is required. Meaning one leaderboard is fine. (PS4, VR) (PS5, VR)

However considering how big VR is becoming and the official name of PlayStation VR2, I could also see it being "PS5 and "VR2 headset required". In this situation (with a new API), with a hypothetical "VR2 headset required" tag in the PS store, do you think it'll still just account under the same, current VR leaderboard or would a new VR2 + an "ALL" leaderboard be made?

To your first point: Understood, if a game is cross release to both headsets then there would be two trophy lists. Could either be (PS4, VR) + (PS5, VR) or (PS4, VR) + (PS5, VR2)

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 1

It might be a pipedream, but I certainly hope that the newer, more powerful PSVR2 would allow some of the PC VR games to be finally ported over. I am for one, wanting to have Resident Evil 4 VR to come to the Playstation. And knowing Todd Howard, he will find a way to get Skyrim Re-Released once again in form of PSVR2.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

But will the vr2 be backwards compatible with vr1 games?

The smart move would be to make VR2 backward compatible. Others have mentioned it depends on the tracking system, or at least if they go down the PS5 Update/Upgrade road.

1 hour ago, dakk55 said:

It might be a pipedream, but I certainly hope that the newer, more powerful PSVR2 would allow some of the PC VR games to be finally ported over. I am for one, wanting to have Resident Evil 4 VR to come to the Playstation. And knowing Todd Howard, he will find a way to get Skyrim Re-Released once again in form of PSVR2.

If we were to get a new RE4 port, it should be this official one for the Zeebo

But in truth, if we get something brought back, I would want it to be Playstation Home, something that was ahead of its time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dakk55 said:

Resident Evil 4 VR could run on the PS4 with PS VR1. It's on the Quest 2 which has weaker hardware than the PS4. It's not even available on PC. The reason it's not on PC VR is definitely Meta money. If it shows up on PS VR 2 or PC VR is unknown but it seems likely. Meta seems open to making money on other platforms. IIRC then Vader Immortal on PS4 opens with an Oculus Studios logo. 

Todd Howard is now owned by Microsoft so I would not count on any Bethesda games being ported to any PS VR platform anymore unless contracts were signed before Microsoft bough them.

PS VR2 is powered by the PS5 so anything currently running on standard PC VR hardware should be possible to port to PS VR2. You will definitely see some big games coming to VR on PlayStation next gen.

38 minutes ago, Dreggit said:

If we were to get a new RE4 port, it should be this official one for the Zeebo

But in truth, if we get something brought back, I would want it to be Playstation Home, something that was ahead of its time

Sony has done some work behind the scenes in bringing back PlayStation Home. Would be amazing to have a social hub to hang out in while in VR when you're not playing a game. I love that RE4 video haha. I'm hoping it is a timed Oculus exclusive like Vader Immortal was, but I'm not holding my breath.

32 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

PS VR2 is powered by the PS5 so anything currently running on standard PC VR hardware should be possible to port to PS VR2. You will definitely see some big games coming to VR on PlayStation next gen.

Yes, and hopefully we will see them get ported quicker since PSVR2 will finally have the same tracking system as other headsets, meaning developers will not have to basically redesign the whole games foundation. 

1 hour ago, me_is_caveman said:

But will the vr2 be backwards compatible with vr1 games?

Likely will not be backwards compatible. The tracking system between VR1 and VR2 are *vastly* different. Sony is no fool and will pay big hitting VR game developers to patch their game forward. This way if you own the game on PSVR1, you can pick up where you left off on PSVR2. If you don't yet have a VR2, you can find comfort in knowing once you get one that some of your games will be patched over. Other devs that Sony doesn't pay to port their games will have to do it themselves which costs time and money. Many games will be forever left to PSVR1 but fan favorites should make their way over (Superhot, Beat Saber, etc)

Edited by MikeCheck--

1 hour ago, iriihutoR84 said:

Todd Howard is now owned by Microsoft so I would not count on any Bethesda games being ported to any PS VR platform anymore unless contracts were signed before Microsoft bought them.

Ah right. I keep forgetting Microsoft bought Bethesda. Probably too much to expect Microsoft to want to make more money by keeping their Bethesda games multiplatform.

5 hours ago, dakk55 said:

Capcom should hire or pay whoever is behind the RE2 & RE3 VR mods. This looks amazing!

From this article

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

an indie dev has shared the first look at what seems to be a PSVR2 unit (headset and controllers, and cables) lying on a seat.

The indie dev who shared the PSVR2 headset and controller pics was Bit Planet Games (Ultrawings, The Battle of Sol), who even asked people what game is coming to PlayStation VR2.

https://mp1st.com/news/indie-dev-bit-planet-gives-us-our-first-look-at-psvr2-headset-and-controllers-out-in-the-wild 

dce9a77610abfd2139ef7b4fd21bab8a.png 

6OKo7rj.jpg 

Edited by Ghost