PS4 randomly turned itself off when downloading games from the store. Should I be concerned?

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

I got a bunch of PSPrices notifications for a few games I've been keeping my eye on for a while, seems there's a new sale up for indie titles. So I decided to buy a few, proceeded to download, it kind of lagged a bit and then... My PS4 just turned off. My controller turned off first, following by my TV saying "no signal" and finally followed by my PS4's white light going out. I turned it back on and it said there was an issue in the system software, it also told me it needed to repair the extended HDD, I assume either because of the abrupt shutdown, or because I had a game suspended in the background that was running off that HDD at the time. I don't think it had anything to do with the downloads as I was downloading those to the internal HDD.

3 of the 4 games I previously tried to download started downloading automatically, had to manually download the last one. In all my years of owning a PS4 (since launch), I can't say I've ever had something like this happened. I've had the PSN store occasionally cause my PS4 to soft reboot/crash, but never just fully turn itself off. The PS4 was being insanely laggy for about 10 minutes after first turning back on as well, and the extended storage was taking A LOT longer to fully load everything than it normally does after it's been disconnected or there's been a power outage.

What I want to know is, should I be concerned? Is this a sign that either of my hard drives are dying? This is the first time in a while my PS4 has done something to genuinely kind of freak me out.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

Immediately back up all your saves while you have the chance.

How much space do you have remaining on your Harddrive and how old is your PS4.

My slim has crashed many years when trying to do download several games, have the store open, watch youtube and have a play on suspend all at the same time.

If your PS4 is laggy after switching on, that might be cause for concern. Again, start backing up your saves to PS+ or USB if you have not been doing that lately.

9 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Immediately back up all your saves while you have the chance.

How much space do you have remaining on your Harddrive and how old is your PS4.

My slim has crashed many years when trying to do download several games, have the store open, watch youtube and have a play on suspend all at the same time.

If your PS4 is laggy after switching on, that might be cause for concern. Again, start backing up your saves to PS+ or USB if you have not been doing that lately.

Already have. I have about 55GB free on the internal HDD. I've had it since launch in November 2013.

Did your slim end up dying?

It seems fine now, I think perhaps the combination of games downloading plus it re-checking all the games on the external caused it to lag. My theory is that it was queuing the games for download, somehow screwed up on the last one and it caused it to crash somehow, and when it turned back on, it started automatically downloading all the games but the last one. Probably didn't help that the PS4 had been on for 5 or so hours beforehand and had a game running in the background at the time. Still really weird, and I just hope this isn't a sign of its impending doom. I have occasionally had my PS4 randomly crash/reboot when doing random things before, such as just closing a game, and it's occasionally turned itself off instead of going into rest when I manually put it into rest, but I don't think it's ever just flat out turned itself off like this before.