PlayStation is winding down Sony Japan Studio

ziggypossum

4 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Did we play the same game? Kat is with Dusty most of the time and I don't see how omni-directional exploration is "a pretty generic open world game in terms of structure".

How many lines of dialogue does Dusty have?

Anyway, it's a generic open world game. You go from place A to B, do side quests, collectibles, story missions, etc. It's not functionally different than any other open world sidequest-a-thon.

1 minute ago, Darling Baphomet said:

How many lines of dialogue does Dusty have?

So now the goalpost criterion has shifted from Kat being alone, to a companion that doesn't talk?

3 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Anyway, it's a generic open world game. You go from place A to B, do side quests, collectibles, story missions, etc.

I'm curious to know what open world games you believe are not generic because of those above things because even some of the best open world games I played like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt would be classified 'generic' for committing those scenes. Anything with going from A to B. Doing a side quest. Collecting things. Doing story missions.

1 minute ago, Eraezr said:

I'm curious to know what open world games you believe are not generic because of those above things because even some of the best open world games I played like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt would be classified 'generic' for committing those scenes. Anything with going from A to B. Doing a side quest. Collecting things. Doing story missions.

If you think Gravity Rush 2 is closer to The Witcher 3 than a generic Ubisoft open world, then we clearly didn't play the same game.

1 minute ago, Darling Baphomet said:

If you think Gravity Rush 2 is closer to The Witcher 3 than a generic Ubisoft open world, then we clearly didn't play the same game.

Well it's a good thing I didn't say that. Guess your wording has proven to be a fail on why GR2 is "generic".

This is the second time you've tried to shift goalposts.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 2

Sounds like no more games I'd have interest in on PlayStation. The future of PS5 doesn't look very bright. I'm hoping Clap Hanz strikes a deal with Nintendo or Microsoft to produce a new Everybody's Golf title and/or they port it to PC. Or does Sony own the Everybody's Golf IP?

23 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Sounds like no more games I'd have interest in on PlayStation. The future of PS5 doesn't look very bright. I'm hoping Clap Hanz strikes a deal with Nintendo or Microsoft to produce a new Everybody's Golf title and/or they port it to PC. Or does Sony own the Everybody's Golf IP?

Sony owns all the IPs of games they publish. It's the devils deal, if it does well then it's stuck to PlayStation and if it's bad you gotta start from scratch with a new franchise.

He could still make a spiritual successor to EG/HSG. Since Nintendo is now releasing a new Mario Golf, no need for it there. MS would be the next best bet, maybe make it starring Blinx the Cat (since he's a Japanese character lol) and have other MS characters appear like Banjo and Chief. Could also make an all generic cast, throw it on Steam with workshop support so players could just mod in the old EG/HSG characters or whoever else they want. I'd buy either of those.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Sony owns all the IPs of games they publish. It's the devils deal, if it does well then it's stuck to PlayStation and if it's bad you gotta start from scratch with a new franchise.

He could still make a spiritual successor to EG/HSG. Since Nintendo is now releasing a new Mario Golf, no need for it there. MS would be the next best bet, maybe make it starring Blinx the Cat (since he's a Japanese character lol) and have other MS characters appear like Banjo and Chief. Could also make an all generic cast, throw it on Steam with workshop support so players could just mod in the old EG/HSG characters or whoever else they want. I'd buy either of those.

I found out Clap Hanz has already applied for a trademark "Clap Hanz Golf" last summer. Which may imply they have been turned down by Sony for a new title in Everybody's Golf series. :|

Steam early access could be a great place for their new game. Or Xbox Game Pass. I'm just hoping they're working on something for consoles/PC and not for mobile.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, milanbarca82 said:

That sucks.  My dream of playing another Ape Escape, Legend of the Dragoon, Everybody's golf, a new ICO/Shadow of the Colossus is shattered for good. 1f61e.png

Same. I appreciated that Sony Japan Studio did something different. I suppose now I can get ICO/Shadow of the Colossus even though it’s been so many years since I played either. Shadow on the PS4 is probably preferred anyway. 

I don’t like the shift towards more western, third person open world games. Many of the Sony exclusives have been just that. Sure, Ghost of Tsushima is perhaps the best of them all, but a bigger variety is the better option overall. 

Sony, a Japanese company, is not going to do well if it starts focusing in the same fashion as Microsoft’s Xbox. Focusing the games department to become more westernized and formulaic will only hurt the Sony label.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Same. I appreciated that Sony Japan Studio did something different. I suppose now I can get ICO/Shadow of the Colossus even though it’s been so many years since I played either. Shadow on the PS4 is probably preferred anyway. 

I don’t like the shift towards more western, third person open world games. Many of the Sony exclusives have been just that. Sure, Ghost of Tsushima is perhaps the best of them all, but a bigger variety is the better option overall. 

Sony, a Japanese company, is not going to do well if it starts focusing in the same fashion as Microsoft’s Xbox. Focusing the games department to become more westernized and formulaic will only hurt the Sony label.

True.

I grew up playing the PS1, later the PS2 and most of my favorite games from those eras were Japanese games.  I really don't like this "Westernization" of Sony, but it is what it is unfortunately.  Luckily, I have the Switch for my Japanese games fix. 

On another note, I feel that Nintendo will repeat the Wii/PS3/360 era in which they became first and both Sony and MS would fight for 2nd place.  I don't think the PS5 will topple the Switch nor its successor in terms of sales this time around.

Edited by milanbarca82

1 hour ago, milanbarca82 said:

True.

I grew up playing the PS1, later the PS2 and most of my favorite games from those eras were Japanese games.  I really don't like this "Westernization" of Sony, but it is what it is unfortunately.  Luckily, I have the Switch for my Japanese games fix. 

On another note, I feel that Nintendo will repeat the Wii/PS3/360 era in which they became first and both Sony and MS would fight for 2nd place.  I don't think the PS5 will topple the Switch nor its successor in terms of sales this time around.

I was a Nintendo kid. There was the occasional game such as Donkey Kong Country and Goldeneye 007, both developed by Rare which was/is a western based company. Mario, Zelda, Metroid and a little Pokemon was my fix. Sadly I didn’t have access to a Game Boy Color, so I missed out on the old Pokemon games. 

I’m not a ‘weeb’ nor do I pretend I am one. But the shift since around 2014 - 2016 is really starting to affect Sony in a negative light. I don’t want another Xbox. The reason I left Xbox was because of Microsofts poor decisions involving the Xbox One fiasco. 

I compare Jim Ryan with Phil Spencer and they are one and the same. Both corporate executive idiots who both care only for results and profits. I doubt either of them play games at all.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2021 at 3:02 PM, Eyjabria said:

I found out Clap Hanz has already applied for a trademark "Clap Hanz Golf" last summer. Which may imply they have been turned down by Sony for a new title in Everybody's Golf series. :|

Steam early access could be a great place for their new game. Or Xbox Game Pass. I'm just hoping they're working on something for consoles/PC and not for mobile.

Nooooo!! Whyyy? I need this game on Switch! https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/clap-hanz-golf-now-available-for-apple-arcade