Hardest trophies: info

VirtualNight

EDIT: this entire thread starts off with me being mad at the game. Eventually, Beatminaz (who I really thank for the help) was so kind to bother with me and guide me toward my first wins. Since then I kept insisting and eventually I took care of the hardest trophies in the game: Absolute Domination and Experienced Player, this took about 120h, and I rate this 9.5 of difficulty.

If you have problems for these trophies, read the thread for some info, particularly at the end I share my experience with them plus some other trophies.

Original post:
It seems that at the last 15km the AI goes very hard, I can keep the stamina full while chasing/following the first riders until the last 3km or so when the stamina starts dropping very quickly even when I do nothing, eventually at the last km the stamina is inevitably empty, and at the last 400m the AI sprints as hell while me, without stamina, have to chance.

How is it possible to win when the trophy for winning is at 50%? what am I missing?

To me it seems they have unlimited sprint, or at least x10 larger than mine.

Even trying another time from start, now some riders just keep sprinting the whole time, if I try to follow them, they already sprint again when mine is over.

I don't even think is related to my team, the Guepard one which seems the best one.

Update: tried again, I have read that keeping the bpm at 172 is a strategy, which seems good until the last part, where, no matter what, AI keeps running at very fast speed for the remaining 15km, all in a row, a speed I can't keep without consuming stamina. So I'm definitely out of ideas.

Update 2: I tried to play without patch, but I don't think that anything changes. Made it up to the last 3km with full stamina, and from here I clearly see that the moment I stop holding the O button (or Square, nothing seems to change between the two), the riders are slowly surpassing me, all of them, or at least for most of the time, at some point I have no stamina of course so is game over. I can't seem to attack either since my stamina drops about 2/10 each half a second at the last km.

Edited by VirtualNight
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I encountered the same issues back when I was playing the game. 

I was for the life of me not able to keep up with the other riders and their endurance seemed to be much higher, it felt like the AI was cheating. 

Therefore I'm unable to give you really helpful tips, but have you possibly checked out the PSN Store for those additional snacks? IIRC they've got nice effects which could support you during your journey. 

I hope that you'll succeed! 

10 minutes ago, Bizzy_Montana_ said:

Unfortunately I encountered the same issues back when I was playing the game. 

I was for the life of me not able to keep up with the other riders and their endurance seemed to be much higher, it felt like the AI was cheating. 

Therefore I'm unable to give you really helpful tips, but have you possibly checked out the PSN Store for those additional snacks? IIRC they've got nice effects which could support you during your journey. 

I hope that you'll succeed! 

There are no items available on psn store for this game, at least not anymore.

Since I have definitely not clue about what to do, I actually gotta give up for now until I receive some tips. I wanted to take care of the gold trophy for winning in all stages and all 3 jerseys first.

1 hour ago, Beatminaz said:

Been a few years since I played this, but I'll try to help as much as I can. Are you having trouble with all type of races (Sprint,Hill,Mountains) or just some of them. And are you familiar with team tactics in cycling?

Hey, thanks for your time.
I think I have learned the controls so far, although I'm still unsure about how the Square one really works (relay), as the tutorial doesn't really explain it well. To me it looks the same as the effort button (O) in terms of performance.

Team strategies? Yes I know about them, but they do not seem to help for the problem I'm having.

I'm trying to take care of the gold trophy for winning in each stage, but I'm already struggling with the first one.
I try to save energy along the stage (sacrificing it a bit for the intermediary Sprint), some trial and error I seem to be able to stay with the first riders (or eventually catch them up during the last section) with full stamina until the last 3km. From here, all the other riders seem to have endless stamina, as for most of the time the moment I release the effort button, they all surpass me no matter what, team protection doesn't seem to be of any help against this. So, if I try not to end straight to the last position I eventually end the stamina on the last km, here I have no stamina at all while the other riders start sprinting as hell at the last 400m.

In other words... I have no idea what am I supposed to do to win during the really last part of the stage. I have been using the TA suggestion for the team (Pro Team Astana) and riders.

There are almost no vid for the game in general either.

Edited by VirtualNight

I don't remember how this game unlocks, so I'll download it soon to check it out. 

46 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

I try to save energy along the stage (sacrificing it a bit for the intermediary Sprint), some trial and error I seem to be able to stay with the first riders (or eventually catch them up during the last section) with full stamina until the last 3km. 

What do you mean with the able to stay with the first riders? Your sprinter should always be in the peloton the entire race and they should be caught in the last section. Since the team you are using only really has one sprinter (Bennatti), I usually try and stay behind one of the other teams best sprinters and beat him at the finish line. I'm not sure why the stamina drops so fast for you. I'll try this tomorrow probably and I'll get back to you.

5 minutes ago, Beatminaz said:

What do you mean with the able to stay with the first riders? Your sprinter should always be in the peloton the entire race and they should be caught in the last section. Since the team you are using only really has one sprinter (Bennatti), I usually try and stay behind one of the other teams best sprinters and beat him at the finish line. I'm not sure why the stamina drops so fast for you. I'll try this tomorrow probably and I'll get back to you.

Since there is an intermediate Sprint, required for the green jersey, I want to be at least one of the first to hit that, so I gotta stay with the first riders. I stick to the peloton during the last section which happens after the sprint.

At the last part (3km or so) I try to stay along with the other riders, but as I said, they push hard and I must use my stamina to keep up with them, those few moments where they do not push my stamina recovery is very low, pretty much nothing since after few seconds the riders will go hard again.

Bennatti is the Guepard team right? I added later to my previous post that I then went for Pro Team Astana as suggested by TA guide, I tried with both Davis and Vinokourov, but without luck.

I had the game installed, so I tried the first stage.

1 hour ago, VirtualNight said:

Since there is an intermediate Sprint, required for the green jersey, I want to be at least one of the first to hit that, so I gotta stay with the first riders. I stick to the peloton during the last section which happens after the sprint.

At the last part (3km or so) I try to stay along with the other riders, but as I said, they push hard and I must use my stamina to keep up with them, those few moments where they do not push my stamina recovery is very low, pretty much nothing since after few seconds the riders will go hard again.

Bennatti is the Guepard team right? I added later to my previous post that I then went for Pro Team Astana as suggested by TA guide, I tried with both Davis and Vinokourov, but without luck.

Winning intermediate sprints is not important if you are going for win all stages trophy. If you want the trophy for getting all jerseys with same rider, do it when you do your tdf with Alberto Contador. as you already have to do a tdf with all teams. He is a better sprinter, time trialist and equal in the mountains.

I didn't realise stage 1 was a hilly finish so you definitely need to do it with Schleck (or Vino if you use his team). I sent Bennatti in the breakaway to score the extra points for green jersey as he will not be available at the finish for this stage (Not needed as you are almost guaranteed green jersey when you win all stages). I kept saving stamina/energy in the peloton the entire final 20km (position 4-10) until there was about 1,8km left. Then I attacked until I had half red bar left. After that I had the highest possible bpm without losing red energy, and then started sprinting with 500m left. Won with 8 seconds. Also, always have F.Shleck protect you until you attack.

I'm not sure why you have to use so much energy to keep up the last 3km. If I don't attack I can easily keep almost full red bar until last 500m but Schleck is not a good sprinter so attacking earlier is better with him. 

Also do you have the feeding option when you press L1? It is the third option under earphone and Speak face to face. I have it but didn't use any of them. If you do have it you can use energy gel to get red stamina back. I think this is the DLC that @Bizzy_Montana_ mentioned.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Beatminaz said:

I had the game installed, so I tried the first stage.

Winning intermediate sprints is not important if you are going for win all stages trophy. If you want the trophy for getting all jerseys with same rider, do it when you do your tdf with Alberto Contador. as you already have to do a tdf with all teams. He is a better sprinter, time trialist and equal in the mountains.

I didn't realise stage 1 was a hilly finish so you definitely need to do it with Schleck (or Vino if you use his team). I sent Bennatti in the breakaway to score the extra points for green jersey as he will not be available at the finish for this stage (Not needed as you are almost guaranteed green jersey when you win all stages). I kept saving stamina/energy in the peloton the entire final 20km (position 4-10) until there was about 1,8km left. Then I attacked until I had half red bar left. After that I had the highest possible bpm without losing red energy, and then started sprinting with 500m left. Won with 8 seconds. Also, always have F.Shleck protect you until you attack.

I'm not sure why you have to use so much energy to keep up the last 3km. If I don't attack I can easily keep almost full red bar until last 500m but Schleck is not a good sprinter so attacking earlier is better with him. 

Also do you have the feeding option when you press L1? It is the third option under earphone and Speak face to face. I have it but didn't use any of them. If you do have it you can use energy gel to get red stamina back. I think this is the DLC that @Bizzy_Montana_ mentioned.

Thank you very much, I will definitely try with this method. So indirectly you suggest to go for Guepard team for the Absolute Domination trophy, I will give it another try then.

Unfortunately I can't feeding, and the dlc is not available in any country.

6 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

Thank you very much, I will definitely try with this method. So indirectly you suggest to go for Guepard team for the Absolute Domination trophy, I will give it another try then.

Unfortunately I can't feeding, and the dlc is not available in any country.

Yes, I would recomment Guepard. They are better in Mountains (Shleck), Sprints (Bennatti), TTs (Cancellara). Only thing Astana is better at is Hill stages where Vino is barely better than the Schleck brothers. But I think it's possible to do both teams, the differences are not huge

Edited by Beatminaz
  • Like 1

@Beatminaz I finally won. I followed your instructions and they worked nicely, the only downside was that when F.Shleck was supposed to protect me, he was actually blocking me, especially during some turns which almost screwed my win.

I don't know why but for the first time ever my stamina was dropping normally (in the previous attempt with this same strategy it still dropped very quickly).

Since there is a lack of info for this game, I'd like to ask you a few extra things if you don't mind?

1) this strategy is what I should do (more or less of course) for Mountain stages as well?

2) is there anything important to know about time trials, or are all a matter of handling correctly the riders and alternating them (team)?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VirtualNight said:

@Beatminaz I finally won. I followed your instructions and they worked nicely, the only downside was that when F.Shleck was supposed to protect me, he was actually blocking me, especially during some turns which almost screwed my win.

I don't know why but for the first time ever my stamina was dropping normally (in the previous attempt with this same strategy it still dropped very quickly).

Since there is a lack of info for this game, I'd like to ask you a few extra things if you don't mind?

1) this strategy is what I should do (more or less of course) for Mountain stages as well?

2) is there anything important to know about time trials, or are all a matter of handling correctly the riders and alternating them (team)?

1) Yes, this attack works well in mountains too. You can even attack earlier in  the bigger mountains or order your team to ride hard at the start of final climb so you can wear down the other teams. A duo attack with F.Shleck is very good too and he can protect you until he has no stamina, then you can continue alone. It's a little bit harder to know how much stamina your other teammates have in this game compared to newer tdfs, so you just have to judge when he seems tired or ask them through comms. In the bigger mountain stages your red bar is actually not that important. just use most of it to break away. What's important is to ride at a speed so that your yellow bar hits 0 at or right before the finish line since most likely you will come in alone.

2) For individual rider, use cancellara. For the team TT, just alternate, but use cancellara a lot. It's important not to use all the green bar before the finish line because then you will lose a lot of time. Yellow is important too, but not so much so that can be empty a few km before finish line. Your fifth rider will count the time, so 1 of your riders can drop of and his time won't matter (Probably Bennatti).

Remember to save before each stage too. In some stages the breakway will get away and probably win. You then of course need to use your team to either not let anyone get away or keep the time manageable by  controlling relays.

Edited by Beatminaz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Beatminaz said:

1) Yes, this attack works well in mountains too. You can even attack earlier in  the bigger mountains or order your team to ride hard at the start of final climb so you can wear down the other teams. A duo attack with F.Shleck is very good too and he can protect you until he has no stamina, then you can continue alone. It's a little bit harder to know how much stamina your other teammates have in this game compared to newer tdfs, so you just have to judge when he seems tired or ask them through comms. In the bigger mountain stages your red bar is actually not that important. just use most of it to break away. What's important is to ride at a speed so that your yellow bar hits 0 at or right before the finish line since most likely you will come in alone.

2) For individual rider, use cancellara. For the team TT, just alternate, but use cancellara a lot. It's important not to use all the green bar before the finish line because then you will lose a lot of time. Yellow is important too, but not so much so that can be empty a few km before finish line. Your fifth rider will count the time, so 1 of your riders can drop of and his time won't matter (Probably Bennatti).

Remember to save before each stage too. In some stages the breakway will get away and probably win. You then of course need to use your team to either not let anyone get away or keep the time manageable by  controlling relays.

Awesome. I thank you a lot for the time you took to help me out with this, I truly appreciate it.

• Like 1

@Beatminaz sorry to bother you, but I have encountered another problem.

Stage 3 (flat) has the opposite situation of stage 1, with a 6km downhill finish without any turn that could help.

The riders go very fast the whole time, so attacking seems uselesss as I get catched within 2 seconds the moment I stop attacking, eventually during the last 500m there are something like dozens of riders from behind who seem to go all of a sudden at double speed, also all of riders seem to be faster than me anyway at this point, I have no way to surpass their speed toward the end, and my stamina also becomes low at the last 200m and so I get surpassed by even more riders.

I tried with different riders but the result doesn't change at all. I don't see a way to get a gap from the other riders.

Is there a different strategy for these type of finish lines? This looks like a case where the DLC would greatly help.

Edited by VirtualNight

12 hours ago, VirtualNight said:

@Beatminaz sorry to bother you, but I have encountered another problem.

Stage 3 (flat) has the opposite situation of stage 1, with a 6km downhill finish without any turn that could help.

The riders go very fast the whole time, so attacking seems uselesss as I get catched within 2 seconds the moment I stop attacking, eventually during the last 500m there are something like dozens of riders from behind who seem to go all of a sudden at double speed, also all of riders seem to be faster than me anyway at this point, I have no way to surpass their speed toward the end, and my stamina also becomes low at the last 200m and so I get surpassed by even more riders.

I tried with different riders but the result doesn't change at all. I don't see a way to get a gap from the other riders.

Is there a different strategy for these type of finish lines? This looks like a case where the DLC would greatly help.

In sprints where there is a flat finish you cannot attack inside the 5km mark. Either have a rider in the breakaway group and try to win or use bennatti in the mass sprint.

This game doesn't have option to set up a sprint train for you so your best bet is to stay behind Cavendish, Boonen, Freire or other top sprinters until your are somewhere inside 500m. It took me 3 tries to win a mass sprint, was a little harder than I remember. I am not sure when to exactly attack, but it has to be at perfect timing to be able to win. Bennatti is a top 3 sprinter som it should be possible to win.

I also tried sending Bennatti in the breakaway once and won that way, but it's so random if the peloton catches you in the areas where you can't control the riders.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beatminaz said:

In sprints where there is a flat finish you cannot attack inside the 5km mark. Either have a rider in the breakaway group and try to win or use bennatti in the mass sprint.

This game doesn't have option to set up a sprint train for you so your best bet is to stay behind Cavendish, Boonen, Freire or other top sprinters until your are somewhere inside 500m. It took me 3 tries to win a mass sprint, was a little harder than I remember. I am not sure when to exactly attack, but it has to be at perfect timing to be able to win. Bennatti is a top 3 sprinter som it should be possible to win.

I also tried sending Bennatti in the breakaway once and won that way, but it's so random if the peloton catches you in the areas where you can't control the riders.

I see, probably these are the worst type of stages then. I guess I will keep trying then, thanks.

I have a few doubts, since I don't really know how the sprint/mountain jerseys really work.

I won that intermediate sprint on stage 1, but the leaderboards say that another rider has 36 points against the 20 I got from the sprin with Bennati, also A.Shleck has the same points despite he didn't win the sprint. So I guess the points come also from winning the stage?

Stage 3 introduces that altitude goal. I see that latter stages have even more of those. Are they important to win for the mountain jersey? what I should do if a stage has both an intermediate sprint and a mountain goal? because they seem to be mostly in simulated parts, and also I guess Bennati is not a good choice anymore (at least not for the latter stages that have a lot of uphill sections), meaning I should probably sacrifice F.Schleck for them.

I don't know why but in the mountain LBS I see only Shleck with 2 points, nobody else.

Edited by VirtualNight

14 hours ago, VirtualNight said:

I see, probably these are the worst type of stages then. I guess I will keep trying then, thanks.

I have a few doubts, since I don't really know how the sprint/mountain jerseys really work.

I won that intermediate sprint on stage 1, but the leaderboards say that another rider has 36 points against the 20 I got from the sprin with Bennati, also A.Shleck has the same points despite he didn't win the sprint. So I guess the points come also from winning the stage?

Stage 3 introduces that altitude goal. I see that latter stages have even more of those. Are they important to win for the mountain jersey? what I should do if a stage has both an intermediate sprint and a mountain goal? because they seem to be mostly in simulated parts, and also I guess Bennati is not a good choice anymore (at least not for the latter stages that have a lot of uphill sections), meaning I should probably sacrifice F.Schleck for them.

I don't know why but in the mountain LBS I see only Shleck with 2 points, nobody else.

You need to have all jerseys at the end of the tdf. When you check each stage in the One-Off Stage, you can see a colour on the right side. Green - Flat, Orange - Hilly and Red - Mountains.

Each stage except time trials have a intermediate sprint which gives 20pts for green jersey to first place and then lower and lower for the rest of top 15.

If you win the green stages, you get 45pts. 35 pts for second and so on (top 15 get points).

If you win the orange stages, you get 30pts, 25 for second and so on (top 15 get points).

If you win red stages, you get 20pts, 17 for second and so on (top 15 get points).

Time trials award red stage points. Team TT don't give points.

All these points are only for green jersey.

I checked some of these scores in my save and it seems like not all stages are awarded as they should be for some reason. Stage 1 and 4 awards red stage points even though they are classified as green. 10 and 11 give green stage points even though it's classified as hilly stage (but they were flat stages in real life).

Some stages have red markers. These give you climbing points. These are ranked as Category 4,3,2,1 and HC and give points.

Cat 4 gives 1pt. Cat 3 = 2pts first,1pt second. Cat 2 = 5,3,2,1. Cat 1 = 10,8,6,4,2,1. Cat HC = 20,16,12,8,4,2.

All these are doubled if the ending is on a mountain. Since stage 1 has a Cat 4 ending and you won, Shleck has 2 points.

Therefore you will get a lot of points when you win some stages with HC endings. That will give you 40 points. It's important to pay attention to the leaderboards and not let the same riders go in breakeaway so they accumulate too many points, but usually you will be fine since you will have to win all stages.

If a stage has an ending in the mountains or impossible for sprinters, send bennatti in break to win intermediate. If it does not end there, win the intermediate sprint in the peloton (If 3 riders are in breakaway the first rider in the peloton will still get about 12 points or so). You can not send Schleck brothers out in the breakaway because they are dangerous riders in the overall standings. Teams will use everything they can to catch up to you and you will have wasted energy for nothing. Just concentrate on winning the stages and of course win the mountain sprints if there is no breakaway or something like that.

Edited by Beatminaz
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna leave my experience with the other difficult trophy, Experienced Player, which I think is harder than Absolute Domination. Once again, if you own the Power Pack DLC; you won't have problems.

This other trophy is incredibly stupid since realistically impossible, because of a win with a team of Expert.

First of all, it is important to be aware of the following:

• you can NOT go in breakaway with a climber. The Peloton is scripted to catch you back immediately. However, if the climber is behind lots of time from the top position, he can actually have a chance to breakaway. This rule applies exclusively to you: an AI rider, whoever he is (except for your team), can go in breakaway and not be catched
  • you can not keep up with the top climbers in some stages. I'm referring to stages 14, 18, 19 since there are lots of climbs and your rider will not have enough stamina to keep up against Contador. Your goal is to lose as less seconds as possible here
  • the guide on TrueAchievements is almost entirely wrong (unless xbox version is easier), so don't think that this trophy is going to be as doable as mentioned there

Why is the guide wrong?

• most likely the suggested rider is the only one you can do this run with, so I agree on that point
  • the guide says you can get a minute or so from Contador on stage 2. That's quite false, in my experience his team is always either 1st or 2nd so the idea to beat it by over a minute sounds unreal. My best was an advantage from him of 19 seconds, maybe you can go up to 25 seconds*
  • I do believe there is a way to get over a minute from Contador on stage 2, but is entirely RNG and it is what i think has happened when I had used a Pro team. There is a spot not too far after the 2nd checkpoint (I think) where a team has a small potential to fuck up and slow down entirely. I saw that happening once on a team ahead of me and I was blocked by them since they splitted along the entire road before they started gaining speed again. Chance for this to happen to Contador are almost null, but if it happens then try to do your best to set a good time. This glitch may almost grant you the entire run
  • Don't worry about Schlick brothers. I really never see them being as dangerous as Contador, they should also perform very bad on the individual crono
  • now a crucial statement. The guide says that on stage 18 and 19 you can get a great margin from Contador. This is entirely false. Despite there are quite some turns, there is always a simulated section afterwards. Since the peloton is scripted to catch you back, any margin you can get from the turns will be nullified and you will be again with the peloton way before you reach the next playable section

Now, winning the tour with all what has been said is just impossible. You are going to need A LOT of RNG to have a chance.

On my current run, which I don't know yet if it is gonna work or not, all of the following has happened.

On stage 2, I won over Contador for 19 seconds.

Until stage 11, I always had 0 seconds from Contador per stage, apart from stage 2 of course.

Observation #1: I believe that if a breakaway happens and it is not catched before the last section, Contador will get ultra mad and start racing at a rythm that is entirely impossible to keep up with (if the last section is a mountain one). If that happens, reload a save to try the stage before the breakaway and this time, just like with Absolute Domination, deny any breakaway by following it with Taaramae.

Observation #2: it looks like if you keep blocking Contador whenever he tries to surpass you at the top of the group during a steep climb, he may get a bit softer. Other than block, I also brake a bit in front of him.

Stage 12: here, unbelievably, I won over Contador by over 45 seconds (Van den Drouk won by 26 seconds on me, but he should not be a danger for the yellow jersey). I was having problems in this stage since Contador kept winning with some margin. So, I decided to try a different approach on the last section.

Since going at slow pace along with the peloton seems to only help Contador, I decided to go to the first position and keep a rythm of 166bpm, increasing it if the other riders were faster or were trying to attack (or to catch up with another rider, in this case I kept an effort of about 174bpm). If one attacks, I'd say is very guaranteed that Contador will attack as well so I just increase the effort as soon as possible so minimize the advantage Contador is going to get on me. Keeping going like that (and blocking Contador several times), at some point (I'd say it was like 4km from finish) Drouk attacked so I increased my effort, however I noticed that the rest of the riders were not increasing the effort to catch me up, so at that point I kept my effort at about 174bpm, increasing it more before the tight turns since the AI slows down there but I don't need to. And that's how the stage went for me. I don't know if this strategy was a very lucky coincidence where the script didn't work properly so the riders didn't try to catch me up (no way Contador had no stamina left while I still had plenty of it), I will need to experiment on the other mountain stages as well. This scenario seems to be possible exclusively on this stage.

0 seconds of improvement/lost (the aggressive strategy worked for stage 14 where I managed to not lose any second) until stage 17. This stage is crucial, make it to the last section where, inevitably, the game wil put your somewhere from the middle downwards in the peloton.

Try to reach the first echelon before the mountain goal, from there you must use all the turns at your advantage to get some time from Contador. After all the turns, keep going at about 177 bpm and attack at the end. I got 1min 18sec from Contador, you can get even more. Expect lots of practice in all this.

As you see, just this time alone is not enough to win the tour, in my case those seconds I earned from stage 2 and 12 help a lot. Now I have to see if I can stay first for the tremendous next 3 stages.

Observation #3: Contador's scripts (relevant from stage 18 onwards)

• all riders are dependant from Contador during the final section, if it is a climb. If he is somehow behind several positions, every single rider will slow down until Contador gets back to first positions. If enough time passes without him going to the first position, then the script will be nullified and the riders will get back to a moderate speed which is still lower than what it would be with Contador at the first place
  • if you block Contador long enough for the previous script to be cancelled, the moment he manages to get free he will rocket himself straight to the first echelon. He could be even 3min far from the echelon, yet he will get there in a couple of seconds without consuming any stamina
  • every rider will protect Contador and make him pass if he wants to attack/surpass. Basically, the exact opposite of what AI does to you
  • blocking Contador (theory): force him to go on one side and stay in front of him, however you must leave a very tight space on this side, enough to he can pass there, then quickly close it a bit if he tries to surpass you and immediately restore that space again. If you don't do this, he will move to the other side and make you eat his dust. All this process has the main goal to allow as many other riders as possible to be in the peloton/echelon and hope that there will be a long enough line at the finish line to lose 0 seconds when you cross it

Stage 18 and 19, lost 19 seconds each (each one is improvable though, I'd say down to about 10sec). With these numbers, at the end of stage 20 I had +6sec from Contador.

So, you are forced to have one of these events to happen in your run:

• stage 2, you get over a minute from Contador due to a glitch (if you can't, don't forget to get at least 19sec regardless)*
  • stage 12, you reproduce what I did and get at least 35secs from Contador
  • you get over 40sec anywhere else apart from stage 17 (where you get another advantage) due to Contador falling off his bike toward the end of a climb stage, an event that is pretty much unique

On stage 20 Contador seems to beat you for about 1m 40sec (greatly varies due to RNG, occasionally he may even win the stage and beat you very bad by almost 3min), do your own calculations/extimations about how much time you think you need to have before this stage. Doing some math, it seems you can avoid the big RNG only if you can get 1min 30sec from stage 17 and 30sec from stage 2 and, somehow, never lose seconds on stages 18 and 19, which in my opinion is definitely impossible.

*Important: while playing intermediate team, I noticed that on stage 2 the Contador's team was finished already. His team was still racing during my Expert run instead. The difference is that if Contador's team has finished before you start, it will set a bit worse score than what it does if it races while you do too. Unfortunately I don't know if teams' order for this stage is fixed or is dependant from something. The only difference I recall is that on Expert I ended in 2nd place on stage 1, while on Intermediate I was behind a few dozens of riders. Reloading the save during result screen on stage 1 will not change the order though.

Edited by VirtualNight
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

To complete this thread, making it a sort of mini-guide, I will leave some info for the remaining trophies and how I approached the game.

Tour #1: Absolute Domination run done with Team Guepard, this run will grant you also Never Too Young For Yellow assuming you win the yellow jersey with A. Schlick, in fact he does not appear in the young leaderboard however he is still eligible for the trophy. Also, try to never fall from the bike during the entire tour for Avoid Risks trophy.

Tour #2: win the tour with a pro team (Lambre) using the rider Scarponi. This will also grant Underdog.

Tour #3: win the tour with Expert team (Cofidis) using Taaramae.

British Punctuality: this trophy is glitched. It is confirmed that Cuncellara will not unlock the trophy. I tried with Vinokourov and got nothing. I was told by Beatminaz to use Tony Martin from HTC. Also, that you must beat your time on checkpoint 2 as well. Using this rider did not unlock the trophy for me again. So I tried with Contador and it worked. In this run I did only 1 thing different: with the other riders I stopped for a bit in front of the finish line during attempt #1 so that I had an easier time to beat it; with Contador I stopped only for like 3 seconds (real time), then I beat my time on attempt #2 and got the trophy.

Tour #4: win with Intermediate team (Astana) using Vinokourov. During this run, I also targeted to win all the intermediate sprints, for that goal I almost always used a sprinter, however there is one sprint located after several climbs. For that one, I used the exploit from Absolute Domination by using Vinokourov to chase a breakaway and so automatically deny it since the peloton will just catch it back. The checkpoints from time trials do not count if you wonder. Also, stage 21 has indeed no sprint, however the trophy will pop only when the tour is over. Experienced Player and Always on Time unlocked.

Tour #5: win with Saxo Bank using Contador. Your first goal here is to win all the 3 jerseys with the same rider for Son of the Cannibal. The only a bit annoying jersey is the green one since you will almost never finish the flat stages in the top 10 or so. Instead, your goal is to win at least almost all of the intermediate sprints. Again, chase any breakaway with Contador so that you have a chance to win the sprints.

Another goal is to win in one of each type of stage for Allrounder. I won stage 1 which should count as Hill, I won also all of the mountain stages since is easy with this rider and, combined with the intermediate sprints, should guarantee the green jersey. For flat stage, I'm pretty sure Stage 17 counts for it, since the last 2-3km are all flat and you can take a great advantage over the peloton with the turns located before the flat section. I'd say is mandatory to win this stage, because during Stage 21 you won't start with all the energy (a rule of tour mode) and therefore you will not win the stage. Then win stage 19 (time trial) and the trophy will unlock (it did for me). At the end of stage 21 you should also have the 3 jerseys as well.

Strong Finisher: i recommend to do this in one-off stage because you will start with full energy unlike tour mode. Save your energy which means stick to the peloton. The breakaway is always catched in this stage. Use the strategy from TrueAchievements but using Evens.

Tour #6: win with Liquigas using Basso. Here, your goal is to win after climbing back a 10m deficit from the leader after stage 1. The way I did this was to have a breakaway happen during the first section and then just stick to the peloton. When the last started going a bit hard and catching back the breakaway (it happened to me during a simulated section), I asked an alliance in the peloton and this slowed it down massively. Afterwards, I was just sticking with it while the breakaway started to stepping away again. Eventually, they had like 25min when I started the last section, so their gap was surely enough. Afterwards, I just focused on winning the tour, you will easily catch back the deficit during mountain stages. Remember, you must win the tour, just catching back the leaders from stage 1 is not enough.

Never Say Never unlocked.

Tour #7: you don't need to win the tour. Your goal here is the First and Last trophy, which means win the first and the last stage with the same rider (must be done in Tour mode). I did this with Rabobank using Freire, and I think he is the only one that can do that. The only thing I can tell you for stage 1 is that what I did with A. Shlick can't be done with anyone else. So try to stay in the first positions until the final climb, and attack somewhere at 150-100m or so before the short flat. You will probably need some luck.

Finally, do any remaining quick trophy and play and finish a tour with all the teams you haven't used so far. Since the final result doesn't matter, you may use a semi-afk method. With a turbo pad, first pick the climber on stage 1 then turbo the X button. Occasionally, you must manually press the O button in case, after a simulated section, the rider you are highlighting (the climber) is not available. My personal method is to occasionally press the O button after some minutes since I don't have 2 TVs to monitor the tour situation, in the meantime I just play on another console on something else. While this way will take a bit longer (extra time spent in the rider selection and several falls from the bike, especially on stages 16-18), it is way better, in my opinion, than monitor the situation for about 200h.

In a few cases, something may go wrong, where your climber wasn't picked when possible somehow. In that case, you must manually select the rider available. I usually check the situation every 2-3h.

Freeze: not common, but you are definitely going to get some.

All these problems are avoidable in case you have 2 TVs to use, so that with one you can constantly check if something goes wrong and with the other you can play another game.

Edited by VirtualNight
  • Like 2

On 2021-8-6 at 7:46 PM, VirtualNight said:

To complete this thread, making it a sort of mini-guide, I will leave some info for the remaining trophies and how I approached the game.

Tour #1: Absolute Domination run done with Team Guepard, this run will grant you also Never Too Young For Yellow assuming you win the yellow jersey with A. Schlick, in fact he does not appear in the young leaderboard however he is still eligible for the trophy. Also, try to never fall from the bike during the entire tour for Avoid Risks trophy.

Tour #2: win the tour with a pro team (Lambre) using the rider Scarponi. This will also grant Underdog.

Tour #3: win the tour with Expert team (Cofidis) using Taaramae.

British Punctuality: this trophy is glitched. It is confirmed that Cuncellara will not unlock the trophy. I tried with Vinokourov and got nothing. I was told by Beatminaz to use Tony Martin from HTC. Also, that you must beat your time on checkpoint 2 as well. Using this rider did not unlock the trophy for me again. So I tried with Contador and it worked. In this run I did only 1 thing different: with the other riders I stopped for a bit in front of the finish line during attempt #1 so that I had an easier time to beat it; with Contador I stopped only for like 3 seconds (real time), then I beat my time on attempt #2 and got the trophy.

Tour #4: win with Intermediate team (Astana) using Vinokourov. During this run, I also targeted to win all the intermediate sprints, for that goal I almost always used a sprinter, however there is one sprint located after several climbs. For that one, I used the exploit from Absolute Domination by using Vinokourov to chase a breakaway and so automatically deny it since the peloton will just catch it back. The checkpoints from time trials do not count if you wonder. Also, stage 21 has indeed no sprint, however the trophy will pop only when the tour is over. Experienced Player and Always on Time unlocked.

Tour #5: win with Saxo Bank using Contador. Your first goal here is to win all the 3 jerseys with the same rider for Son of the Cannibal. The only a bit annoying jersey is the green one since you will almost never finish the flat stages in the top 10 or so. Instead, your goal is to win at least almost all of the intermediate sprints. Again, chase any breakaway with Contador so that you have a chance to win the sprints.

Another goal is to win in one of each type of stage for Allrounder. I won stage 1 which should count as Hill, I won also all of the mountain stages since is easy with this rider and, combined with the intermediate sprints, should guarantee the green jersey. For flat stage, I'm pretty sure Stage 17 counts for it, since the last 2-3km are all flat and you can take a great advantage over the peloton with the turns located before the flat section. I'd say is mandatory to win this stage, because during Stage 21 you won't start with all the energy (a rule of tour mode) and therefore you will not win the stage. Then win stage 19 (time trial) and the trophy will unlock (it did for me). At the end of stage 21 you should also have the 3 jerseys as well.

Strong Finisher: i recommend to do this in one-off stage because you will start with full energy unlike tour mode. Save your energy which means stick to the peloton. The breakaway is always catched in this stage. Use the strategy from TrueAchievements but using Evens.

Tour #6: win with Liquigas using Basso. Here, your goal is to win after climbing back a 10m deficit from the leader after stage 1. The way I did this was to have a breakaway happen during the first section and then just stick to the peloton. When the last started going a bit hard and catching back the breakaway (it happened to me during a simulated section), I asked an alliance in the peloton and this slowed it down massively. Afterwards, I was just sticking with it while the breakaway started to stepping away again. Eventually, they had like 25min when I started the last section, so their gap was surely enough. Afterwards, I just focused on winning the tour, you will easily catch back the deficit during mountain stages. Remember, you must win the tour, just catching back the leaders from stage 1 is not enough.

Never Say Never unlocked.

Tour #7: you don't need to win the tour. Your goal here is the First and Last trophy, which means win the first and the last stage with the same rider (must be done in Tour mode). I did this with Rabobank using Freire, and I think he is the only one that can do that. The only thing I can tell you for stage 1 is that what I did with A. Shlick can't be done with anyone else. So try to stay in the first positions until the final climb, and attack somewhere at 150-100m or so before the short flat. You will probably need some luck.

Finally, do any remaining quick trophy and play and finish a tour with all the teams you haven't used so far. Since the final result doesn't matter, you may use a semi-afk method. With a turbo pad, first pick the climber on stage 1 then turbo the X button. Occasionally, you must manually press the O button in case, after a simulated section, the rider you are highlighting (the climber) is not available. My personal method is to occasionally press the O button after some minutes since I don't have 2 TVs to monitor the tour situation, in the meantime I just play on another console on something else. While this way will take a bit longer (extra time spent in the rider selection and several falls from the bike, especially on stages 16-18), it is way better, in my opinion, than monitor the situation for about 200h.

In a few cases, something may go wrong, where your climber wasn't picked when possible somehow. In that case, you must manually select the rider available. I usually check the situation every 2-3h.

Freeze: not common, but you are definitely going to get some.

All these problems are avoidable in case you have 2 TVs to use, so that with one you can constantly check if something goes wrong and with the other you can play another game.

Congrats! Now only the grind of finishing the tour with each team left, which I still remember setting up with a turbo controller. These are all good tips for anyone trying to platinum the game now.

Edited by Beatminaz
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I don't know if this works for the 2011 version but i remember back in the 2012 version you could fully break wityh your bicycle in front of someone and block his way for as long as you want. I used this tactic to get the trophy finish first and second in TDF 2012. 

Saying this cuz i see some people still play this game and maybe it works

14 hours ago, xD4RK-HENRIx said:

I don't know if this works for the 2011 version but i remember back in the 2012 version you could fully break wityh your bicycle in front of someone and block his way for as long as you want. I used this tactic to get the trophy finish first and second in TDF 2012. 

Saying this cuz i see some people still play this game and maybe it works

No it doesn't, they will get free within few seconds even if it means passing through you. Even if slowed down, a strong rider will quickly get back to the top, like if that does not have any cost in stamina for them.