Flames of the Nether >> Ancient Hunter tips

JNSpradlin

So i just got this and figured I would lay out the strategy I used

• You need to defeat 15 different Ancient enemies. Not the same one 15 times.
  • Definitely geared for exploration, as you have to find the small rooms they spawn in.
  • Not all rooms will spawn an ancient, some will spawn treasure chests with gold
  • They are only found in ancient hunts
  • The ancient enemy that spawns is determined by the symbol on the gear you place. 
  • More gear you place, lets you invest more points to raise the % of them spawning. Takes any gear, but has to add up to 100 (Cant confirm read this somewhere else)
  • Some gear adds multiple symbols to allow for multiple ancient types to spawn in the hunt. I once did a run with 5-6 different types.
  • If you are aiming for a specific ancient, its best to only have it be in the run, or only ones you are missing, as you can go a full run and it can possibly not spawn.
  • Does not take guilded weapons
  • Any weapon or points you place, will be lost once you are done or forfeit
  • Getting up to 94% likelyhood to spawn, doesnt mean it will spawn.
  • Dont bother going after A Piglins Best Friend trophy, as you will get it going for this. 
  • Most likely will get Seriously Overpowered going for this, as the ancients drop these weapons. Just need a unique/guilded with 3 full enchants
  • Leaving the ancient hunt will end that floor, and you can go back for up to 3 floors. If you leave on the 3rd floor, you will forfeit the hunt. (Doesnt tell you)
  • Doesnt matter what difficulty, so you can play on the easiest and rush through them.
  • Took me about 20 runs to get it, but with specific gear placement to get certain ancients to spawn.

I still havent figured out Homecoming so any tips would be nice. I have the bat fro the spelunker armor, soul lantern for the soul pet, and tasty bone for the wolf. Ive spawned them all throughout the ancient hunts.

Edited by JNSpradlin
Title fix
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

trueacheievements say both are here

dd0a89dd-b028-4251-9b48-e337fdd34d59_Thu

50c5d310-b996-4b23-abec-c05596436ba7_Thu

The trophy description says "During Ancient Hunts" (plural) so does that mean you don't have to do all three (bat, soul, wolf) in ONE Hunt? If so it'd make things easier. I know I got the wolf and I think I got the bat as well.

56 minutes ago, Pirelli913 said:

The trophy description says "During Ancient Hunts" (plural) so does that mean you don't have to do all three (bat, soul, wolf) in ONE Hunt? If so it'd make things easier. I know I got the wolf and I think I got the bat as well.

You don't have to do all 3 in one hunt, man that would be the most RNG shit I've ever seen lol.

• Like 1

I've personally never seen more then 2 different ancients in a single run, even with 5 possible options at 90%+

My luck been so bad I did a run with 4 question marks and 1 old known boss. And got the old known boss 6 times in the same level and none of the new ones lol.

At least I only need 2-3 more but its getting tough to find gear combos that produce unknown bosses. Good thing I hoarded a bunch of unique/gold tier gear to burn at least before this DLC came, saves that grind.

18 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Is something supposed to happen when you have the Pet out? I brought a wolf to the wolf pack (saw wolves behind a rock and assumed that's what I was looking for in a forest area), but nothing happened.

Me and @Ac3dUd3- have managed to figure it out - will copy and paste the section we have in the guide to help you lot out:

Homecoming

This trophy will likely take you a while to complete; it relies heavily on RNG to spawn the 3 locations needed for the trophy, and players have reported it taking anywhere from 10 to 50+ Ancient Hunts before they finally got the locations they needed to spawn. Difficulty is also irrelevant here, as all difficulties have an equally random chance of spawning the locations you need.

See SilverAncient Hunter for information on starting hunts, but do note that you don't need to sacrifice 4 items or any enchantment points for this trophy unless you're also hoping to complete the 'fight 15 ancients' trophy at the same time - the minimum requirements to start a hunt are any items with a combined power rating of 100+ (so if you're geared up for Apocalypse difficulty, one item will suffice.)

When you've started a hunt though, you'll be in a nether level. Fight through until you emerge in an 'ancient' version of an existing level - for this trophy, you'll need to be in an ancient version of the Creeper Woods, Soulsand Valley and Spider Cave.

Wolf - Creeper Woods

Wolves can be summoned with the 'Tasty Bone' artifact, available in these locations:

• Found as a random reward after beating the Creepy Crypt on all difficulties.
  • Found as a random reward after beating the Creeper Woods on all difficulties.
  • Found as a random reward after beating the Redstone Mines on any difficulty above Default.
  • Found as a random reward after beating the Dingy Jungle on all difficulties.

The location you need to look out for here seems to be the most common; whenever a hunt takes you to a wooded area, look out for a wolf den near the end of it (See the image below for a visual reference) and get close enough to hear the wolves howling. Just to be on the safe side, summon all 3 pets by putting on your spelunker armor, using your tasty bone, and using your soul lantern before moving onto the next one.

fdb4c7.jpg

Bat - Spider Cave

Bats can be summoned with the 'Spelunker Armor', available in these locations:

• Found as a random drop in the Redstone Mines level on all difficulties.
  • Found as a random drop in the Cacti Canyon level on all difficulties.
  • Found as a random drop in the Lost Settlement level on all difficulties.
  • Found as a random drop in the Windswept Peak level on any difficulty above Default.

Bats can be found flying around in many ancient hunts, but for this trophy the ONLY spot that will count is the one in the image below, in the 'Spider Cave' area. This seems to be the rarest of the three locations you need, and can be anywhere inside the spider cave so take extra care to explore every possible path from start to finish.

Take extra care with this location, too - running toward the bats too quickly will make them fly away, so make sure to walk slowly and when you think you're in the right location, summon all 3 pets by putting on your spelunker armor, using your tasty bone, and using your soul lantern before moving onto the next one.

177a86.jpg

Soul Entity - Soulsand Valley

Soul entities can be summoned with the 'Soul Lantern' artifact, available in these locations:

• Found as a random reward after beating the Creepy Crypt on all difficulties.
  • Found as a random reward after beating the Cacti Canyon on all difficulties.
  • Found as a random reward after beating the Soulsand Valley on all difficulties.

The location you need to visit for this pet can be found in the Soulsand Valley region. The area will look like the image below - taking a closer look at the walls will reveal that they're made of soulsand instead of the usual soul soil, so pay close attention to any side rooms you find.

When you finally find this room, summon all 3 pets by putting on your spelunker armor, using your tasty bone, and using your soul lantern before walking around the area and touching each wall just to be safe. Remember that the soul lantern requires souls to be used, so make sure you've killed plenty of enemies.

e7d031.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edited by SquidGeneral10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SquidGeneral10 said:

Me and @Ac3dUd3- have managed to figure it out - will copy and paste the section we have in the guide to help you lot out:

Homecoming

This trophy will likely take you a while to complete; it relies heavily on RNG to spawn the 3 locations needed for the trophy, and players have reported it taking anywhere from 10 to 50+ Ancient Hunts before they finally got the locations they needed to spawn. Difficulty is also irrelevant here, as all difficulties have an equally random chance of spawning the locations you need.

See SilverAncient Hunter for information on starting hunts, but do note that you don't need to sacrifice 4 items or any enchantment points for this trophy unless you're also hoping to complete the 'fight 15 ancients' trophy at the same time - the minimum requirements to start a hunt are any items with a combined power rating of 100+ (so if you're geared up for Apocalypse difficulty, one item will suffice.)

When you've started a hunt though, you'll be in a nether level. Fight through until you emerge in an 'ancient' version of an existing level - for this trophy, you'll need to be in an ancient version of the Creeper Woods, Soulsand Valley and Spider Cave.

Hope this helps!

It's helpful, but is anything suppose to happen when you summon the pets in the areas? Like a cue to tell me I did that area?

Edit: Can confirm trophy popped. there is no visual cue that I could notice.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

It's helpful, but is anything suppose to happen when you summon the pets in the areas? Like a cue to tell me I did that area?

Not quite sure yet, haven't done enough ancient hunts to actually find the locations.

I don't think anything crazy is meant to happen, but maybe look out for the autosave spinny-circle in the bottom right? You can see it in the bottom right of the bat image. Also, if you have a ps5, maybe it'll show your progress going up there in percentages.

Partial* list of Ancient mobs:

Abominable Weaver

Ancient Terror

Barrage

Cursed Presence

First Enchanter

Frost Warden

Grim Guardian

Oozing Menace

Pestilent Conjurer

The Seeking Flame

The Unending

Unbreakable One

Unstoppable Tusk

Vigilant Scoundrel

Windbeard

* I say partial because there's more available. These are just the ones I found and defeated to unlock the trophy.

You can tell which Ancients you've defeated before even going into a Hunt because their image is displayed when making the offerings.

If you haven't encountered an Ancient, their image will be blacked out and it will say "Unknown" when you hover over their image.

• 4 months later...