FF7R, Should I claim it?

Bos10George

I own a physical copy of Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It should have a free PS plus upgrade to PS5 when its available and the Yuffie DLC at an extra cost. Now that FF7R is the PS plus game for March, they are announcing that if you claim that version you will not get a free upgrade for that digital version. 

This all makes me hesitant to claim the FF7R digital version next month. As with previous PS plus games, it was beneficial to claim them and be able to use them on different consoles or not have to worry about a disc. With the UI issues I hear about PS5, I just wonder if it will be a pain to figure out how to make it upgrade my physical copy for free and not block me since it will detect the free PS plus non-upgradeable copy in my library.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the PS+ version will have to be a separate listing, like DriveClub was. The EU & US stores can't differentiate what was bought through PS+ otherwise. With DriveClub you could later buy the normal version's listing even after claiming the PS+ one.

Also given that you need the PS4 disc in to run the PS5 version even after upgrading from the disc, that probably also has a separate system in place to differentiate it from a digital purchase.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Bos10George said:

I own a physical copy of Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It should have a free PS plus upgrade to PS5 when its available and the Yuffie DLC at an extra cost. Now that FF7R is the PS plus game for March, they are announcing that if you claim that version you will not get a free upgrade for that digital version. 

This all makes me hesitant to claim the FF7R digital version next month. As with previous PS plus games, it was beneficial to claim them and be able to use them on different consoles or not have to worry about a disc. With the UI issues I hear about PS5, I just wonder if it will be a pain to figure out how to make it upgrade my physical copy for free and not block me since it will detect the free PS plus non-upgradeable copy in my library.

There is no issues or confusion with upgrading to the ps5 games. Anyone who was are a bit silly (bar issues with Ubisoft literally in the first few weeks of the consoles launch)

you just pop in the disc, go to the FF7R ps5 page, and it’ll say download on that version. I imagine the ps plus version will be it’s own new ‘version’. Same trophies, but PS4 entitlement only, so it doesn’t interfere with the upgradable version people have already bought. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheVengeance1231 said:

Can we transfer data to PS5 version and auto pop trophy on PS5 with this version?

You can transfer your save to the PS5, so I would assume the trophies auto pop to some extent.

Although, I wonder if the PS + save would be compatible if it's a different version as this thread is pointing out.

• Like 1

I would not claim the PS Plus one honestly. They're looking at it as you did not actually buy the game. You got it from PS Plus for free. That's why the content/context is different. So if you got the digital version on PS4, you can just transfer the save data to PS5 right? Or do you need to buy the physical PS5 disc? 

I am confused a bit 

29 minutes ago, Bos10George said:

When it comes down to it, it is unlikely to mess up if I claim the digital. However, if I do not claim it I avoid the possibility of an issue altogether.

Exactly this. That is what I am doing as of now. 

Edited by sealightbreeze

Not sure what the uproar about charging for the upgrade is about, just play the ps4 version on the ps5 for free? That comparison photo floating around just looks like the devs dialed the brightness up 2 notches and called it a day

Edited by Ac3dUd3-
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

Honestly, I think that it really doesn't matter if you claim it or not. To get the PS5 version you NEED the PS4 disc, that's all. IMO you won't get the PS5 version with the digital edition nor with the ps plus version. 

So basically the digital copy doesn't matter then?!

Edited by sealightbreeze

11 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

Honestly, I think that it really doesn't matter if you claim it or not. To get the PS5 version you NEED the PS4 disc, that's all. IMO you won't get the PS5 version with the digital edition nor with the ps plus version. 

You will be able to get the PS5 version with the digital non-Plus version. 

• Like 1

You can claim the PS Plus version and when you're done with it, contact Playstation Support and ask them to remove the license from your account so that you can either buy it digitally on PS4 and use the free PS4->PS5 upgrade, or play the physical version.

I did that one time because my subscription was lapsing and I didn't want to lose access to a game I had previously claimed via PS Plus, and no issue.

1 minute ago, l33sar54 said:

contact Playstation Support and ask them to remove the license from your account

You just did that through the regular Playstation Support? And they did it for you right on the phone? This is very intriguing. I didn't think first level support would be given authority to remove items from accounts, but if so, this would be an ideal solution for a lot of people who have Plus versions, but want to pick up upgrades/etc and can't.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

Not sure what the uproar about charging for the upgrade is about, just play the ps4 version on the ps5 for free? That comparison photo floating around just looks like the devs dialed the brightness up 2 notches and called it a day

You’re just as bad as Eurogamer...

the difference is massive. New textures, updated lighting, 4k resolution or 60fps, the new chapter, updated assets... the game looks and plays a lot better on the PS5. 

Hmm, the original poster does bring up a good point.

Often if you get a game on PS+ trying to buy it later can be a pain.

For example on Vita I got Dynasty Warriors Next on PS+ but now I can't buy it, it won't let me, it just downloads.

Which means if it gets delisted then I am tied to Playstation Plus if I want to actually own this game, which I got for "free".

Maybe this is different with FF7 remake but I do wonder if claiming it on PS4 would make it somehow purchasable on PS5. (For whatever reason)

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You just did that through the regular Playstation Support? And they did it for you right on the phone? This is very intriguing. I didn't think first level support would be given authority to remove items from accounts, but if so, this would be an ideal solution for a lot of people who have Plus versions, but want to pick up upgrades/etc and can't.

Playstation Support Chat after logging in to my account first and then going through the Support Portal and verifying that the account is really mine. I think the agent asked me a couple of questions like my address, date of birth and name on record before confirming with me that I really want to do this and that I won't be able to re-add the game later if I change my mind. I said yes and that was it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turniplord said:

You’re just as bad as Eurogamer...

the difference is massive. New textures, updated lighting, 4k resolution or 60fps, the new chapter, updated assets... the game looks and plays a lot better on the PS5. 

Seriously, did you people play the same game as I did? have you not seen all the issues with some abysmal textures? like some doors looking like legit ps2 textures. PS5 version looks much better. I see dramatic difference. 

Also I think I am the only person that genuinely wants PS5 updates just for dualsense support? :D I have no idea why, it just makes game so much enjoyable

2 minutes ago, Forunth said:

Seriously, did you people play the same game as I did? have you not seen all the issues with some abysmal textures? like some doors looking like legit ps2 textures. PS5 version looks much better. I see dramatic difference. 

Also I think I am the only person that genuinely wants PS5 updates just for dualsense support? :D I have no idea why, it just makes game so much enjoyable

I think you quoted the wrong person, I was saying the update is big, the other guy was acting like it changes nothing