FF7R, Should I claim it?

Bos10George

3 minutes ago, droppingtherock said:

God this is confusing. Thanks Sony. I mighty as well get it, right? I have the physical PS4 version and a digital PS5 -- so there's no way I can prove to Sony I own a valid license. Same issue I had with Borderlands 3.

It's not that confusing. A physical disc presents it's license when you put it in and click Upgrade. The digital non-Plus version presents it's license and allows you to upgrade. The digital Plus version presents it's upgrade and it says Do not allow upgrade. Three different licenses all prove to Sony which license you have.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It's not that confusing. A physical disc presents it's license when you put it in and click Upgrade. The digital non-Plus version presents it's license and allows you to upgrade. The digital Plus version presents it's upgrade and it says Do not allow upgrade. Three different licenses all prove to Sony which license you have.

Pardon, I haven't had my coffee yet. That's what I thought, but appreciate you putting it in these straightforward terms anyway.

Well I just claimed it (I already have the disc version installed) and the PS Plus version is acting like the disc version. It doesn't seem as though the PS Plus version is separate from the disc version as it says "installed" through having the disc version installed beforehand.

So when the time comes to the PS5 upgrade, I don't see how it will know I'm trying to get it through the disc version? It's going to think it's the PS Plus version which we all know the PS5 version can't be redeemed with. 

I think I may have screwed myself over with claiming the PS Plus version...

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

21 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Well I just claimed it (I already have the disc version installed) and the PS Plus version is acting like the disc version. It doesn't seem as though the PS Plus version is separate from the disc version as it says "installed" through having the disc version installed beforehand.

So when the time comes to the PS5 upgrade, I don't see how it will know I'm trying to get it through the disc version? It's going to think it's the PS Plus version which we all know the PS5 version can't be redeemed with. 

I think I may have screwed myself over with claiming the PS Plus version...

You could claim the ps5 free upgrade with your disc on an alt account on ps5, and then play on your main. If there is a problem in the end

• Like 3

I claimed it. Your disc version should still upgrade perfectly fine. The PS5 will recognise that you have the disc inserted and offer you the upgrade. Just uninstall the digital PS+ copy first. The upgrade version should be separate on the licensing end, but you wouldn’t see any difference.

At the very worst, if your fears are founded, you could make a new account and get the upgrade on that account for free. Then just play the game on your own account.

But I highly doubt Sony will lock you out of your free upgrade for your physical copy just because you have the digital PS+ version on your account. Because that would stop anyone from getting the upgrade by buying the disc copy at a later date too. 

Edited by GizMo_The_Great
  • Like 1

I'm not grabbing it personally. I've been burned by plus games a few times over the years. Can't buy the game of the year version because you have the plus version so you're forced to buy the dlc separately at a greater cost. They supposedly fixed it years ago but 99% of the time that's not true. I'm in no hurry, I'll just grab the ps5 version when it's in a sale.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:17 AM, Bos10George said:

Now that FF7R is the PS plus game for March, they are announcing that if you claim that version you will not get a free upgrade for that digital version. 

You answered your own question the PlayStation Plus digital version is not a free upgrade. So what makes you think that when you put your physical copy in your PlayStation 5 you will not get the free updated PlayStation 5 version minus the Yuffie DLC? Do you not think the PlayStation 5 doesn't know the difference between digital vs an actual disc in the console? I'm pretty sure SONY will have all that figured out by then because I'm sure they won't want to deal with the complaints. One of the main reasons I believe they delisted Cyberpunk 2077.

I doubt it will void you from upgrading for free, but to stay safe, I wouldn't claim the plus version. FFVII is dropping in price fast. I don't even own FFVIIR nor a PS5, I'm about to buy a physical PS4 copy to get intergrade for free when I find actually manage to find one (Darn scalpers) . Staying away from the PLUS version. It might seem generous of Playstation to have offered such a popular game, but it's not without an agenda. You don't even get to own it, you rent the game. 

Intergade will be far superior to the PS4 version, with a performance boost and DLC included. It will easily be the definitive way to experience the game. I know I'm going to regret it like crazy when I buy a PS5 and find out I can't upgrade, because of having been impatient months prior. You already own a physical copy, I'd just wait. 

On 3/6/2021 at 4:57 AM, Nitemares----- said:

Why would anyone download the free version on PS Plus if they already have it, plus it even says it's not eligible for the PS5 upgrade, makes no sense to download.

A few reasons if you own it physical:

1) One day your disc breaks or you want to sell it.

2) You have multiple people that want to play it. IE- Yourself and your roommate/sibling/spouse/kid. I have 2 PS4s with different accounts for this purpose.

1 hour ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

wouldn't bother with the ps5 version, just a painfully blatant money grubbage. hit this one up and wait for sequel but i wouldn't stack

If you don't plan on buying a PS5 and haven't played FFVII yet, then that version is obviously superior running at 60fps with better visuals, having way faster loading times, adding photo mode and including an extra mission. FFVII Remake can be bought for less than 30 bucks now and upgrading to Intergrade is entirely free. It's the wisest option if you plan on buying a PS5 soon. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...