Control appreciation thread

TrafalgarWarGrey

7 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Actually the story to me looks like something a person who got drugs came out with, lol. I can't appreciate it, even if I try.

Everything else is good, I enjoy the combat system and the overall gameplay, and I also like the Jesse character: the game is somehow fascinating but I wouldn't place it among the best games I have played in my life, at all, the weird story is not something i can pretend to ignore. Still a good game though, I am enjoying it.

I don't agree but i respect your opinion.For me story is complex and finally colectibles are worth.It gives you so much content story related and charachters backgrounds.But i repeat i repect your point of view even if differs to mine.

• Like 2

Yeah the story is not that great for me either. I read all of the lore texts and whatnot but it's just a mess. I was very underwhelmed with it by the end. I'm gonna play the expansions from tomorrow, curious to see if it gets any better.

The gameplay is great though, graphics look clean, world design is pretty cool. It's a 8/10 kind of game. Very enjoyable, but it didn't blow me away in any way.

Edited by Asimb0mb

51 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Actually the story to me looks like something a person who got drugs came out with, lol. I can't appreciate it, even if I try.

Everything else is good, I enjoy the combat system and the overall gameplay, and I also like the Jesse character: the game is somehow fascinating but I wouldn't place it among the best games I have played in my life, at all, the weird story is not something i can pretend to ignore. Still a good game though, I am enjoying it.

I felt the same honestly, I felt like the game was just trying to mind fuck me so hard that I wouldn't realize that there wasn't actually a story.  I still have no clue what the fuck was happening the whole time haha.  I'm tempted to play the game again on PS5 because I first played it when it released and the FPS drops to 0 really ruined the experience.

I'm replaying now on PS5, and played through once before on PS4.  It's 100x better without the PS4's jumpy framerate issues at launch, definitely a game that deserved 60fps.  The story didn't really resonate with me like I hoped it would... too little build-up, too confusing in general.  Felt like the game dropped you in the middle of something and never really found its footing, rather than a proper beginning, middle and end.  Looking forward to the DLC though this time around, especially as a fan of Alan Wake.

That being said, it's not a super long game or anything so the issues I might have with the story can be forgiven, it's still kinda trippy fun, and the gameplay is easily the best Remedy has ever done.  I can't think of another game that gives you as much of a power trip as Control, once you have all of the abilities unlocked.  Floating around demolishing enemies and leveling rooms launching chunks of wall or debris or whatever's around looks awesome and feels/plays even better.

The game has caught way too much shit because of some of 505's decisions, which while disappointing in and of themselves didn't warrant the public beheading gamers tried to make out of it.

43 minutes ago, Nigh7s7ein said:

and introduced me to Poets of the Fall which I love now

Alan Wake introduced me to Poets of the Fall, and the ways Control incorporated the band in made me happier than it probably should've.  Remedy x Poets of the Fall is one of my favorite collabs in gaming, and Poets are one of my favorite bands now.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I can’t honestly count myself as a Remedy fan - I was never a Max Payne guy, and wasn’t much interested in Quantum Break. Alan Wake seemed cool, but I never got a chance to play much, but Control was really fantastic! 

2 hours ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

Control really exemplifies the "new weird" genre in a way that I can really appreciate. I've always been a fan of media like Twin Peaks, X-Files and Warehouse 13 and Control just took that vibe and ran with it. One of my favorite games of 2019 for sure. And to echo another commenter's idea, the collectibles could be absolutely hilarious or dark as shit, really made me feel interested in collecting them.

Can I recommend you seek out a 6part miniseries from the early 2000’s called The Lost Room?

I suspect you would very much enjoy it given the other shows you reference - and the parallels to Control’s story are...

...well...

...I mean - for real - they border on plagiarism!

Good miniseries, and a great game in Control too, so I can’t get mad at it, but my God, it is literally impossible that the writers of Control didn’t sit down and watch The Lost Room right before they began work! 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I loved the game, fully deserved GOTY back in the day.

The story was good/ok if a bit 'out there' so to speak - but I don't think the game is carried by the story.

What set it apart was the atmosphere and the setting/world. One of the few games I truly went out of my way to find and read the collectibles and notes and learn more about it.

I hope we get more of original/standout IP's such as Control.

I thought the gameplay was good and I liked the weirdness of the story since it's supposed to take place in a paranormal/supernatural agency building where they contain and research those kinds of things. However I did get kind of tired of seeing the same dreary walls throughout the game which is why I don't think I would really be open to playing it again on PS5. That and the map even when I played it wasn't too helpful at times. If they do make a sequel I would like there to be more areas to explore that take place in different locations along with there being different kinds of monsters to fight. I like the idea of playing as a supernatural coverup group so I think the setting has a lot of potential for all sorts of different weird things you can see.

I started with the 100% walkthrough and I'm glad I did. None of the characters are interesting and some of the puzzles are a piss take. I agree with one of the things the guy says in the video walkthrough which was something along the lines of... 'if you didnt look this up, I'm not sure how long it would take to figure this out on your own'. The map is pretty much useless and every time you pause and unpause theres a 3 second lag and blur if you move in that time. I do like the combat gameplay though (despite playing with 'cheats'), some of the powers like levitation and the rock wall throw remind me of Infamous.

• Like 2

I had no clue what this was about, although I finished the story! I skipped through almost all dialog.

That last mission though, Take Control. Whoaboy! I wanted to break my Control-ler. Complete joke of a mission.

Nice game though.

I didn’t like the gameplay (I didn’t hate it, it was decent at best) but I liked the style and visuals of the game 

in term of gameplay, I had the same issue with Quantum Break, Remedy seems to make game about having powers, but they don’t make them fun to use, they’re just there 

Edited by TalalHmd

The intimate care to narrative storytelling was on par with a decent literary novel. It was that good for me. I hope one day, Remedy does a 'riskier' project where they know they can still make an interesting video game where you don't need to shoot or kill something.

Edited by Eraezr

On 2021-02-27 at 11:58 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Can I recommend you seek out a 6part miniseries from the early 2000’s called The Lost Room?

I suspect you would very much enjoy it given the other shows you reference - and the parallels to Control’s story are...

...well...

...I mean - for real - they border on plagiarism!

Good miniseries, and a great game in Control too, so I can’t get mad at it, but my God, it is literally impossible that the writers of Control didn’t sit down and watch The Lost Room right before they began work! 

I watched it more than a decade ago, but I don’t remember any similarities to Control, other than that they’re both weird 

I should give it a rewatch

Edited by TalalHmd

I have a mop that moves on it's own. Last night found it in front of my fridge. The week before it was on my bottom step like it tried to get upstairs. This game hits too close to the mark. Anyone else waste a half hour scanning copies and cleaning up coffee cups until they realized how to get past it....hahaha

• Like 2

10 hours ago, trojbrown40 said:

I have a mop that moves on it's own. Last night found it in front of my fridge. The week before it was on my bottom step like it tried to get upstairs. This game hits too close to the mark.

I hope the mop cleans the floor as it moves! ?

I only have 1 Trophy left for 100%. I really enjoyed this game, hope there will be a Part 2. The only gripe I have is a lot of places are just too dark, if it wasn't for indicators, I'd have missed many collectibles and chests, at least have some kind of light to toggle on and off.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:59 AM, trojbrown40 said:

I have a mop that moves on it's own. Last night found it in front of my fridge. The week before it was on my bottom step like it tried to get upstairs. This game hits too close to the mark. Anyone else waste a half hour scanning copies and cleaning up coffee cups until they realized how to get past it....hahaha

I spent 20 minutes doing scans, mail and coffee cups before I realized the red indicator to deliver mail to the Director ?

Edited by Nitemares-----

I was extremely surprised by this game, really cool looking world and interesting gameplay. Collectibles weren't too tedious as having more than enough, was still collecting them even after the trophy. Interesting abilities as well. DLC kept it on par with the rest of the game, which is not always a given. Didn't pay tooooo much attention to the story, understood the basic storyline but didn't dwell on getting to know more of it.

My only downside (apart from the lower fps after pausing and a couple of times at random) was how the weapons felt ineffective after a certain point, even when fully upgraded. Was easier to just throw something usually one-shoting them, than to have to fire 5/7 bullets...and with getting the proper weapon upgrades being reliant on RNG (finished everything and still had weapons with level 2/3 upgrades cause couldn't find the ones I wanted).

All in all, a great game, enjoyed getting the plat on it, and definitely recommend it to all

• Like 1