Trumpet_Boi_208

Trophy hunting  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you hunt trophies?

• Get more or the most out of the games I love
    • Build up a massive collection of platinums
    • I’m bored.
    • I like a challenge.
    • I love the rewarding sound of unlocking trophies.
    • Other

Hello everybody. We all know that just about everyone that uses this website hunts for trophies. However, everyone has a different reason why. I’m curious to see why y’all hunt for trophies or what got y’all into it in the first place. All I ask of you is to not be judgmental of others’ reasoning, even if you disagree with it for whatever reason. Thanks. :) 

For example, I hunt platinum trophies to show my appreciation for games I genuinely really enjoy, and sometimes for the reward of completing a difficult task.

I’ve chosen two options - I like a challenge and that I love the trophy sound.

I’ve come to notice that a challenge is something I prefer in games. If something is difficult in the moment I’ll keep at it til I earn the result I want, made even more rewarding by the trophy popping up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

When I was little, a raiding war party of trophies attacked my village, killing everyone including my family. They left behind the charred ruins of my village and a devastated orphan.

Today, I hunt them down one by one.

This is actually based on a  true story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

One of the kids that survived the assault, grew up to be a  bear hunter for revenge.

On topic: challenge.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 2

It helps to introduce me to games I wouldn't play otherwise. It also gives me a reason to get more time and enjoyment out of a game. But I'm not a platinum hunter. If there is a single trophy that I will find especially annoying to get then I ignore it even if it costs me a platinum. I don't let trophy hunting bring down my enjoyment of a game.

Edited by Sn1per666999
  • Like 1

Mostly fun.

It makes me also do all the side stuff of Games, that i would probably have never done.

That‘s what makes it fun.

But still i kinda miss the PS3 days.

Platinum trophys were more special during these days and Games like „Megamind“ & „The Walking Dead“ were considered easy & quick platinums.

• Like 4

1&4 with a little bit of 5 thrown in.

17 minutes ago, Jeffboy265 said:

Mostly fun.

It makes me also do all the side stuff of Games, that i would probably have never done.

That‘s what makes it fun.

But still i kinda miss the PS3 days.

Platinum trophys were more special during these days and Games like „Megamind“ & „The Walking Dead“ were considered easy & quick platinums.

I really feel this right here.

This is why I’ll probably just finish up my ps4 backlog and won’t even go for platinums on ps5. 
Just kinda end it with ps4 and be done.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

The word 'Trophies' is an anagram of Sephirot.

Legend has it that Sephirot are the words of wisdom that are each carved as symbols into 10 stones.

These 10 words are:

Crown, Wisdom, Kindness, Beauty, Eternity, Foundation, Kingdom, Judgment, Power and Understanding.

Sephirot himself once said...

'I am the end and the beginning! By my touch shall your wretched lives be blessed'.

And this is why I hunt trophies, and so should you.

I am the end and the beginning! By my touch shall your wretched lives be blessed

am the end and the beginning! By my touch shall your wretched lives be blessed

Back in times (Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Xbox 360, ...) I bought dozens and hundreds of games and the most games I had I never played really long. To counteract this I decided (for the Playstation 4) to buy or play a new game only after I got 100% the game before. The good is, I spend more time on a single game and don't buy game after game. But meanwhile a disadvantage is, I don't even buy or play games I would like and probably have fun with it beacause of the "fear" I can't get the platnium trophy for this ... :-D

• Like 1

I had a son, and didn't have much time to game so got into completing easy plats as something that I could fit in around the nipper. Now I want to go back and improve my completion percentage as I have loads of unfinished games from before I started trophy hunting. Sometimes I wish I didn't care as I've played some awful games and done some stupid stuff just to get a trophy but trophy hunting forces me to put more effort in and fully explore games which is a positive thing and gives a sense of achievement which is needed at present as I'm out of work due to the covid lockdown.  

• Like 1

Long version: It's enjoyable and provides goals outside of just a basic play. Lots of games and other things demanding our attention these days, that little extra bit helps. Particularly so if the game is good.

Short version:
tenor.gif

• Like 1

Man... so many reasons i don't know where to start.

• 1. I have ADHD and get crazily hyperfocused on many things, one of these things being trophy lists.
  • 2. it sounds lame, but it can give me a sense of achievement despite it being pixels on a screen
  • 3. it's fun
  • 4. It's fun to scroll through my trophy list at 3am and reminisce on a platinum I got 3 years ago

For me it started with achievement hunting. Before that, I used to mostly play sports games or start a lot of games but not get too far in them. I rarely completed games. Achievements gave me a checklist of specific things to accomplish in a game and made it easier to commit myself to completing most everything a game had to offer. So not only has it motivated me to complete games but to really get the most out of them. I've since gotten into the trophy hunting game which has renewed my interest all over again. I'm basically starting at the bottom again and getting to explore all the PS exclusives that I've missed over the years.

• Like 1