Trumpet_Boi_208

Trophy hunting  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you hunt trophies?

• Get more or the most out of the games I love
    • Build up a massive collection of platinums
    • I’m bored.
    • I like a challenge.
    • I love the rewarding sound of unlocking trophies.
    • Other

As a gamer i love the challenge.The only thing i found tedious are collectibes or too much grinding.

Also starting from Bloodborne with a BL4 run and on NG+7 and beyond i complete  a run with every single weapon i set the bar even higher.In my favourite series Yakuza i got 100% even in game like Yakuza 4 or 6 where for platinum is not required and on Yakuza 0 i complete runs on Hard without unlocking legend style and fully upgrade every single style only with one style for run.

I don't like also to rush games only to obtain trophies instead i prefer to enjoy every single game for several hours.

• 2 weeks later...

What really got me trophy hunting is the fact that I used to buy 2-3 (new) games a month without even having finished the previous one thus building up a massive library of games. All those games became a chore instead of a hobby and I made schedules just to decide what game to play today and which one to play tomorrow. I regret buying some of them but others turned out to be more exciting than I could've ever imagined revisiting them just because of the trophies. PS plus free games that I otherwise never would've touched turned out to be some of the best games I've ever played like Everybody's gone to the Rapture, Rime and Life is Strange.

Other than that I really like the sense of accomplishment when rounding up a game to 100% and getting platinum for it. I like the challenge some games bring to the table and I really love seeing my backlog get smaller and smaller (despite that I sometimes buy indie games on sale). I have a friend that doesn't care about trophies at all, he has 250 games played and only 1 completed (which is We Were Here, together with me) and says he doesn't care about them since he hates to 'complete' games for trophies which is something I can't really get behind. I really can't stand that thought anymore of buying a game and not getting what you've payed for. You don't pay to see a movie in cinemas only to walk out in the middle of it because you're done?

I declined some games friends suggested just because of trophies which are usually multiplayer games or games that are just incredibly hard, but I'm okay with that. I rather pick games based on their trophies then regret it afterwards and have yet another uncompleted/ never to be finished game in my list. My above mentioned friend says I've changed when it comes to gaming but in my opinion I've changed for the better and my wallet agrees with me on that topic as well :P

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My inspiration for trophy hunting originally came from my best friend and his dad. They were and still are avid gamers, and his dad was the coolest person in the world to me when I was younger. I can remember going round my mates house after school and watching his dad playing the original Assassins Creed game. I have always looked up to the both of them and idolised them. They were both acheivment hunters on xbox and when they moved to ps3 they became trophy hunters too. I dabbled here and there with acheivment hunting all through the xbox 360 life span but didnt get into it too much. Still 30k gamerscore isnt bad xD Anyway when I moved to PS4 I used to full on no life destiny but when the content droughts between DLC hit I would again dabble with trophy hunting, once destiny eventually died off for me I found myself with nothing to play and no oney at the time for new games so I decided to start going for plats more seriously. Partly do get the most out of the few games I did own, and also partly because I wanted to try and emulate my friend and his dad. My friend had 50 plats and his dad had 100. triple digits plats back then seemed crazy.

I got instantly hooked on trophy hunting, not only because I was getting the full experience out of my games but because each time I unlocked one, it felt like I was acheiving something great. I had a tough childhood and gaming was my escape from reality. As my plat count kept rising, I began to feel like I was successful for one in my life. I felt over the moon when I reached the 50 mark, Id equalled my friend, someone who always was and still is a far more skilled gamer then myself but to equal his count was a huge acheivment for me, then the following year I reached 100 plats and equalled his dad. Not only was it special because it was triple digits, something I thought impossible when I first set out on my trophy hunting journey but also equalling My friends dads plat tally was unthinkable. After years of looking up to them both I had equalled there tally, I could look at them on equal footing and that meant the world to me.

As I took my count over the 100 mark It almost became a thing of split personality, there was the real life me who sucks, and then the cool and successful jninja79. All my friends call my ninja as I hate my real name, I prefer this fake digital me to the real life me. It wasnt till I met my ex that I became whole again, So I no longer see myself as two personalitys but I still prefer to go by Ninja. I continue to hunt trophies as its my form of success, ive found something that I can be proud of and enjoy doing.

Sorry for the essay and life story xD

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I started off as a achievement hunter back in the Xbox 360 days. I had over half million gamerscore and back then that’s was a big deal cause games werent that easy like today with the 5 mins 6 stack games out there. But my account got banned sadly for modding & before you say cause you nodded your gamer score ! No not at all. Idk if anyone remembers but 360s were easy to mod to burn free games off the internet so that’s why I had such a big gamerscore cuz got every game for free. one day I logged on and there was a update and I guess Microsoft knew about the modding and banned my account and lots of others around the world until 12/30/9999…?‍♂️?‍♂️ After that I purchased a ps3 and never looked back. The trophy system is way better than the achievements on Xbox would ever be. This ain’t my original account tho recently just created this account cuz wasn’t happy with my overall trophy list so I’m basing this account on games I enjoy and love to play. No more trophy hoe number hunting, it’s not healthy. Nothing feels better than getting a platinum on a game you spent many hours on with a overall rare % ??

Edited by Toxicmatic-

For me it all started when I was around 28 or something like that. I actually only owned the 360 for about two weeks before selling it off. I was done with gaming as I just had enough of buying games, going through on easy mode if they got tough and then just selling them on. 

But a few months later I got a new 360 Elite and one night just looked into achievements. The completion profiles shortly followed. 

Because I am an older gamer, even the term 'playing a game' seems very child like and for me messing about just blowing stuff up without an objective is just like throwing a load of toys on the floor and playing like I'm a four year old again. So trophies not only get me the most out of games and give them full value, but also the added objectives are great for older gamers or like minded gamers to myself who can enjoy a game form A-Z and then be done with it without it feeling like a toy. That may have been worded very confusing but some might get what I mean. 

• 2 years later...

not sure exactly, it's like an itch. and the thing is, I only carer about playstation trophies, not achievements in general. 

but thankfully I don't force myself to platinum or %100 every game I play, I like to hunt for trophies until it's no longer fun.

Think for me this started as a way to maximize value out of games when I had plenty of time and less disposable income.

Now that I am older I continue because I enjoy the satisfaction of getting the Platinum, but one could make the case that some Platinum's no longer maximize value, but that is a whole other can of worms 

• Haha 1

Before trophies were even introduced, I always used to go for 100% in game completion on every game I played and do things like speed runs, no damage runs etc. 

So I more ended up seeing trophies as a reward for the way I already approached going for full completion of my games. With time some trophies have of course gotten creative, 

so for me I see it as a way to get the most out of my games and getting a challenge at the same time

Boredom basically. If it weren't for trophies, I probably wouldn't be so into gaming as much as I am, probably not at all honestly. Most newer games just don't scratch that itch for me anymore but trophies give me a reason to play them regardless. That lack of satisfaction with games as whole these days is where trophies come in handy and help fill the void otherwise I'd certainly be doing something else with my time that does give me that sense of satisfaction and fulfillment because the thought of gaming without trophies certainly wouldn't do it. 

So yeah, it boils down to boredom.