One handed game recommendations?

kouen2010

So recently I broke my left wrist badly (had plates put into it now) and left recovering for a few months, in this time I want to turn to some gaming to pass some time!

I'm looking for some recommendations for what to play. some extra info if it helps:

• I have PS3/PS4/PSVita (both handheld and PSTV)
  • I have a Cronusmax and a Hori FPS+ so I can remap controls
  • My right hand is good still

thanks in advance

9 hours ago, kouen2010 said:
  • My right hand is good still

*inserts obvious joke here*

In all seriousness, any preference in genre? Most of what I can think of is various puzzle/ text based games, so things like the Phoenix Wright collection or those various word puzzle games. Recommend the former over the latter though as it'll last a bit longer and has a bit more going on for it. Only other thing really that springs to mind is an RPG with a turn based battle system, so Dragon Quest XI would be suitable there. Game lasts a fair while as well. Final Fantasy X might be a shout as well but it does have sections where two hands would make it a lot easier.

Again, all depends on what you're looking to play. If the skies the limit, then there's probably plenty more people could suggest.

I had a hand injury last summer. I played some puzzle games and VNs. 

Worms Crazy Golf

Death Mark

Spirit Hunter NG

Detention

Five Nights at Freddy's (this one sucked)

Unfortunately i found it very tough to do much of anything for about a month. If you like VNs you will get through it pretty easy.

I can think of a few

Anything turn-based or where the time to input is non-critical would be perfect really, as you can take your time to play with one hand, and won’t be penalised for slow input.

With that in mind:

Turn Based / Management:

Cities Skyline

The Sims

XCom

Invisible Inc

Puzzle games (where quick input is not required):

Papers Please

The Witness

Tacoma

The Sexy Brutale

Oxenfree

Bridge Constructor Games

Story Driven Games/ Adventure Games:

Most Telltale Games

Life is Strange games

Broken Age

Syberia games

Grim Fandango

Day of the Tentacle

Monkey Island games

Walking Sims:

Dear Esther

Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture

What Remains of Edith Finch

The Vanishing of Ethen Carter

Several years ago I used to play my Vita at work during my lunch break for an hour. Now while I didn't break my left arm, I wanted to play only using my right hand so I could eat messy food entirely with my left.

There's quite a few decent 100% lists on some mahjong or tower defence games which aren't particularly difficult.

Perhaps an acquired taste perhaps, I doubt anyone else would be suggesting them.

Some of the tower defence ones include:-

Medieval Defenders
Iron Sea Defenders
Day D Tower Rush

and some of Mahjong ones are:

Mahjong Royal Towers
Mahjong Gold
Mahjong World Contest

They have some card games too like Solitaire. Not played those, but they look pretty decent.

Pretty sure you can get all of the tower defence or mahjong all together in a bundle.

I would definitely recommend X-Com too.

27 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

You can play Dragon Quest XI with one hand.  The shoulder and trigger act as confirm and deny.

Is that true?

that's awesome - I remember back in the SNES era there were some rpg's that used to do this - they would specifically make the left trigger be a 'do everything' button (as an alternative to the face buttons), which allowed you to prettifying much play one-handed if you chose to. Earthbound is one I definitely recall having this function.

It seems to have been largely lost as games got more complicated, but that's a great addition if Dragon Quest has implemented it again!

Thanks for these suggestions! going to start looking into them I have 6-8 weeks to fill LOL!

Dear Esther is one I did manage, I mapped forward and back to my R1 and R2 via my CronusMAX Plus and used the right stick as normal :) 

Getting creative with the control schemes :P I got shockingly good at Wonderboy: Dragons Trap (though I played it growing up too)

In this one, Sticks Swapped, R1 attack and R2 jump

• Like 1