100% completion starting to feel like a chore

SketchyBogan-

Trying to make my account 100% completion and keeping it that way is starting to ignore me, I've got games that I wanna play but I won't because of the DLC trophies, and it's stopping me from playing them and it's starting to feel like a chore. I hate seeing games that are not 100%, not sure if it's an OCD thing or what. I wanna get the Wolfenstein 2 platinum but it has DLC trophies and I'm not really keen to play them just to unlock the trophies or to buy the DLC.  

• Like 1

If you have OCD, then unfortunately there is nothing to do about it. OCD is a serious condition to have. If you don’t then you are literally choosing to be a slave of your own pixelated trophies. Its up to you to be miserable like this, you say you’re starting to dislike it, or let go.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

My honest advice?

Find a game that is impossible to 100% (due to closed servers / unavailable dlc etc.) and put it on your profile.

Sometimes, simply making a 100% profile impossible, rather than simply improbable, is the best way to free yourself of the tyranny of possibility.

Once it is objectively impossible to achieve perfection, you will be free to pursue whatever games you fancy, and pick them up / put them down at your leisure, without a nagging feeling that you are 'staining' your pristine profile.

You can't dirty what is already dirty, and a little grime never hurt anyone :) 

At the end of the day, it's the platinum that matters. I'll play Concrete Genie, it has DLC trophies and you need a VR to get them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Find a game that is impossible to 100% (due to closed servers / unavailable dlc etc.) and put it on your profile.

Another idea could be to find a game that has trophies that would be beyond one's skill to get.  That leaves the 100% doable, but the difficulty could make leaving it less than 100% more palatable.  That's actually what I personally did by saying screw it and playing FFX and X-2 despite me at the time thinking I'd be unable to get the plat at that time.  I later went back and did accomplish getting the plats but now have many other games that are incomplete and I can deal with that as long as I'm working towards improvement.  I have a few games that are not going to be easy to get the 100% in, but I am satisfied because I've not given up on it.

This route has the advantage of it being incredibly satisfying once one does get the trophies that once were thought to be too hard and leaving the 100% profile open if OP changes their mind and later wants to get the DLC.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Another idea could be to find a game that has trophies that would be beyond one's skill to get.  That leaves the 100% doable, but the difficulty could make leaving it less than 100% more palatable.  That's actually what I personally did by saying screw it and playing FFX and X-2 despite me at the time thinking I'd be unable to get the plat at that time.  I later went back and did accomplish getting the plats but now have many other games that are incomplete and I can deal with that as long as I'm working towards improvement.  I have a few games that are not going to be easy to get the 100% in, but I am satisfied because I've not given up on it.

This route has the advantage of it being incredibly satisfying once one does get the trophies that once were thought to be too hard and leaving the 100% profile open if OP changes their mind and later wants to get the DLC.

I sort of agree- I mean, I basically did that myself with Dead Space 2 & Wolfenstein II, both of which have 'no death' hard runs that I know I will never take the time to master...

... but, remember, if the goal is to free oneself from the feeling that you are 'trapped' by the need to try and get 100% at the expense of fun, having a rock-solid but technically achievable game on there could actually exacerbate the problem further 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I'm gonna say this with love, but going down this road of bypassing games because of trophies (DLC or otherwise) is only going to consume and hurt you in the worst way possible in the long run. IMO, assenting to the reality of getting every 100% out there is unrealistic within itself. Even someone like Hakoom who aims for full completion of a game isn't going to score 100 every time; it's all about acceptance and just playing the games (and DLC) you want to, which is, after all, the most important factor.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

There is nobility in taking on a challenge and failing. 

There is none is simply avoiding challenge.

Your answer is here, except if you suffer OCD. Gaming should be enjoyment first, then challenge.

• Like 2

Try for 95% and see how you feel. Even something like 95% is still in the "wowzers" compared to a lot of people who just don't do completion % hunting. You can miss some trophies here or there and still have an impressive profile. It's not that big of a deal to not have 100%. Which, I've said before in a few threads, but in order to have a "true 100%" it would mean that you'd have to stop playing games all together. A vast majority of the time your account will never be "true 100%", so it's not that bad to lower those expectations a little bit to match the reality of just playing video games in general.

I will say though that you shouldn't fully go the opposite way either (which is just as unhealthy). What I mean is, don't feel like you have to start playing challenging games for the sake of having challenging games on your profile for some sort of validation or whatever. It's just as silly and it makes me giggle when people suggest it. "Don't cherry pick your games you know you can complete. Instead, pick your games you know you can't complete and are a challenge! Aha!"... So, cherry picking games? *facepalm*  

Just play whatever you want. You'll have ups and downs. In the grand scheme of things your profile won't really matter to many people when it's all said and done (sad little truth about this hobby). If you really want 100%, the string that comes along with that is that some games will simply be out of the question for you (too hard, unobtainable, server shutdowns, loads of DLC you'll have to buy, etc). It's just the nature of the beast. Perfection demands such dedication which for nearly everyone is draining, unrealistic and will drive you up a wall. 

My advice would be to completely ignore the difficulty of every game you play or how much DLC it has. Just do what's fun to you and try to obtain as many trophies as possible in the games you play, but don't beat yourself up for missing a couple here or there. Over time you'll find that you can maintain a high % completion and have fun doing it in the games you love to play too, regardless if they are easy or hard. Start lowering your % completion goal until you find the right balance between fun and hunting % completion, then you'll find it to be less of a chore and more as an extension to the fun you're already having in the games you love to play.

Oh yeah and leaving games unfinished isn't bad either. I mean look at me, I've had a couple games unfinished for a year now but I'm working on them slowly over time as I feel I am able. Well, except for MHW. I've been brute forcing that game to earn the plat because I wanna make it my #50. Let me tell you, the burn out/chore feeling is real but I'm a stubborn dude that WILL see that game as a worthy #50. :P 

As a final note, some people may even suggest you aren't a completionist if you don't have that shiny 100% profile which is a load of crap in my opinion. Most people recognize people with 80% or above as some sort of completionist. So, yeah. 100%? 95%? 90%? 85%? We're all family here in the little completionist club. Lol. Just like a fam though what truly matters is your health/joy and I can see some feelings of unenjoyment in your post. Seriously consider lowering your expectations and restore the fun in gaming. It'll do wonders for you, I promise. It did for me, which is why I know it can do the same for you. :) 

Edited by Sword
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2021 at 2:17 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Sometimes, simply making a 100% profile impossible, rather than simply improbable, is the best way to free yourself of the tyranny of possibility.

Wish this worked for me. I have at least one impossible platinum on my profile (FEAR 2), but its done nothing to discourage my interest in completionism. Worth a shot for the OP, though.

I have a few uncompletable titles largely from when my account started (they have high percentage but a little off). Like @ScarecrowsFate it doesn't really discourage me 100%ing things. If I avoid something it's because I really don't care much to play it anyway, because if I really want to play it I just will whatever it takes to 100%. 

One thing I can see does happen to me though is if the game/series is/has gotten subpar, then having nonsense 100+ hour trophies is really going to burn me out and make me write them off quicker. Yakuza being a long plat? Sure, okay, Yakuza is great and if nothing else the plats tend to be varied due to Minigame Master and heck, in the process I picked up how to play Mahjong and Koi Koi (I don't include the 21 like game here as it really ain't in any way complicated) which is nice. Now something like Star Ocean which is just subpar and so I don't have much interest? I'll just skip thanks.

I can only pray that no one here suffers this badly: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/gaming-addiction-covid-19-pandemic

"At the National Clinic for Gaming Disorders (NCGD), too, the aim isn’t necessarily to get people to stop gaming altogether, but to help them manage their gaming so it no longer rules their lives."

Edit:  A more relevant excerpt: "Around the same time gaming stopped being fun. “More and more I just felt bored and exhausted with gaming, but then it was the only thing that I could do and the only thing that I had,” she says."   Yikes.

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Arcesius said:

So quick question.. what is preventing you from actually playing the DLCs in the games you are interested in and getting the trophies? 

In my honest opinion, a 100% account is only worth maintaining if that doesn't dissuade you from playing games you would be otherwise interested in, or skipping games due to high challenge / time commitment. As soon as you start thinking twice about starting a game you actually wanna play, you are missing out. 

Paying for them is the biggest reason, some of them are way too overpriced also, some of them can be boring. When I look at my trophy list I want everything to be the same, nice and clean looking, it's why I hate playing any sort of building simulators I need everything to match and look neat or else it'll just bother me. 

3 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Buy games with tons of DLC trophies,  paying high prices for worthless cashgrabs is what brought me to stop focusing on completion rate.

Minecraft, lol

I knew from the start my account would NOT have 100 percent completion, due to games that are multiplayer heavy like Grand Theft Auto V, or games that can take ages to find a boosting group like Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood on the PS3. 

Even if you have OCD and are determined to get 100 percent in every game you play, you will eventually reach a point where you cannot fully finish a game because of either server shutdown, or lack of skill, which most people run into when they play Super Meat Boy. 

I plan to get Dante’s Inferno eventually, but it’s extremely unlikely I will obtain that two player co-op trophy due to slow internet on my end. Plus, older games with online servers tend to degrade over time. Rockstar managed to clean out the hackers and modders on Red Dead Redemption 1, and the servers, albeit slow, mostly work quite alright. 

Do what you can, and if you’re not up to it, then move on. I have plenty of games I have gone back to years later because before I just wasn’t prepared or was willing to put up with some stupid trophies.

I have over 97 percent completion and I feel that is good enough. I plan to get to 98 percent but I see no point in going beyond that. Having that high of completion with as many trophies as I do is a little respect in my opinion, regardless of how many easy or hard games we’ve done. 

But if you’re feeling completely burnt out, then take a few days break or so and come back when you’re ready. Works for me almost every time.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 7:06 AM, walafc0 said:

Your answer is here, except if you suffer OCD. Gaming should be enjoyment first, then challenge.

Simply and concise. And ultimately true. 

I plainly know that people here have the opportunity to base their gaming experience as their lifestyle. There's no difference between playing and living. Honestly for me, is something praiseworthy to spend all your time in what you love and enjoy. Sadly, not all of us can sustain that type of activities, moreover in a daily basis. Yes, is amazing to look at your profile and people can start guessing about how strong-minded you are, and how spectacular you can play certain games or all of them. We have speed runners trophy hunters, which in my personal case are the tier S top in this site. Having a game on the leaderboards in the first 50 and remain like that for the following years is undoubtedly something to be proud of and to boast about; nevertheless, as they are capable of such feats, they have background that few were granted in their growing up or were blessed with great reflexes management. I'm not saying that no one can do it, just saying that requires a different type of approach to play. 

But in my case, I recently feel the burnout. I'm trying to finish a few games but in the process, others have caught my attention and time and right now I don't feel the need to hurry up and complete them. Have a huge backlog, but honestly, I'll go slowly towards concluding them, as I like to taste and enjoy the adventure I'm already on, rather than jumping from title to title. 

Everything just sum up into your play style, your tastes and how you want to experience the journey. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

snip

How do you detect vegans? They will tell you!

How do you detect people with a SMB Plat? They will tell you!

To stay on topic here an example of completionist profiles.

My profile https://psnprofiles.com/D-E-U-S-X full of easy non challenging cherry-picked games.:facepalm:

A true hardcore elite completionist https://psnprofiles.com/In_Extrem Don't look to long otherwise the celestial shining will damage your eyes!:yay:

Play what you want as long as you want and as extensively as you want.

Edited by D-E-U-S-X
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

How do you detect vegans? They will tell you!

How do you detect people with a SMB Plat? They will tell you!

To stay on topic here an example of completionist profiles.

My profile https://psnprofiles.com/D-E-U-S-X full of easy non challenging cherry-picked games.:facepalm:

A true hardcore elite completionist https://psnprofiles.com/In_Extrem Don't look to long otherwise the celestial shining will damage your eyes!:yay:

Play what you want as long as you want and as extensively as you want.

You did Grand Theft Auto V on the PS4 at 100 percent. Very impressive, and one I've already scrapped for good because of those multiplayer trophies. Will probably play it at some point to get an A Rank and just leave it at that.

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

You did Grand Theft Auto V on the PS4 at 100 percent. Very impressive, and one I've already scrapped for good because of those multiplayer trophies. Will probably play it at some point to get an A Rank and just leave it at that.

The multiplayer is not as bad as it is represented mostly. When you create invite or friend lobbys you never have to meet unknown players. Gta online offers so many activities and jobs that almost everyone can enjoy it. I created a job for quick leveling if needed.

I have some games in my list (and backlog) that I really want to play but the DLC that are required for 100% keep me from doing so.

Great examples are Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Tropico 5, Cities Skyline, basically every Call of Duty game and Grand Theft Auto V. The games on their own are fun as hell but in order to 100% them I have to spend 30+ euros on DLC/ Season passes (GTA as exception) in order to do so. For some games I did this because I really like them (The Surge, Lords of the Fallen, Shadow of War, AC Origins) but I think more games should take a look at Dark Souls 3 where the DLC don't have any trophies and aren't required for a full 100%. Despite that fact I think A LOT of trophy hunters play the DLC anyway since it's pretty good and why wouldn't you?

I really dislike not having completed a game for 100% but on the other hand if I have to pay a lot of money to have a few extra trophies while the whole DLC is just bad I couldn't care less.