Friend’s account got hacked (cause: PSN issues?)

LoveInHell

My friend’s friend account got hacked, they are claiming its because of the PSN online issues everyone has been experiencing.

I don’t think getting hacked is related to the PSN issues, but I don’t know much about tech stuff.

Could it be or does that have nothing to do with it? Cause if it is then that would be a big big problem.

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Unless it was a data breach (which I'm guessing we would have heard about now if that was the case) it's likely something specific to how your friend's friend manages their account.

I would bet on it. Look, some on this page even give their real date of birth or their real name, which is an absolute no go.

1 hour ago, LoveInHell said:

My friend’s friend account got hacked, they are claiming its because of the PSN online issues everyone has been experiencing.

I don’t think getting hacked is related to the PSN issues, but I don’t know much about tech stuff.

Could it be or does that have nothing to do with it? Cause if it is then that would be a big big problem.

If that’s all the explanation you’ve been given then that’s not really an explanation at all.

The two situations sound completely unrelated from all the posts here of people being unable to upload and download saves, sync trophies, or connect in multiplayer games. 

If this were a widespread hack job that people were getting hacked like your friend, I think we would have heard more accounts of that here. 

I've had a PSN account since before there were trophies and during all the network attacks, including the big one that took down PSN for three months almost a decade ago, my account has never been compromised. I cannot say definitively that this recent attack isn't related, but given my personal experiences I would be highly doubtful that it is. Also, if the account login information was stolen as part of a large scale data breach it would take time before it could be used. They would sell the account information that other people would be used. That takes time. Sony would have released a statement if account information was taken and really the people who were vulnerable would be those that didn't act to change passwords. A single account information being stolen would be used likely right away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

Didn't it take Sony three months to tell us about it the last time it happened?

It took them about a week i think - They knew there had been a security issue, but only found the personal data being lifted until a few days later when they identified it, then reported it to legal bodies and the public. They also had to testify in front of the US House of representatives on the entire timeline and they had to commit to investing a tonne of resources into preventing it from happening again under legal agreement.

No system is perpetually invulnerable to attack really, so it could happen again. But considering what Sony went through in 2011 - the chances of it happening again are way way slimmer. And based on everything it's logical to assume they would have things in place to safeguard details as well as to identify potential breaches like the 2011 one much earlier. It would be an absolute shitshow it if went down in exactly the same way, can you imagine?

I think as far as the OP is concerned, it's way more likely because of that, that this is their friend's friend account management :)

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

Did he accept any of those weird close friend requests that pop off lately? That might be a way more viable explanation than PSN data breach 

Has everyone been getting those? Close friend requests with no trophies?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Emi said:

I’ve had three in the past few weeks. Does anyone know the point of that? 

They’re bots wanting to direct you to an unsafe site or they want to gain your personal information A.K.A (potentially) hack you. ?

Just ignore them or delete the request.

This has also happened to me: being put in a random group chat on Playstation (alone or with multiple people). Usually they have inappropriate titles, I just leave them straight away.

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 1