Like A Dragon

Lanky-Lemon

2 hours ago, Lanky-Lemon said:

Did anyone else hold off from playing this sooner for the shiny PS5 version?

I haven't played Yakuza since 0, very excited to dive into this with its JRPG mechanics! 2694.png

I did indeed hold off. It was really hard, but I managed and in the meantime, I finished up Yakuza 5 and completed 6, so I am all caught up except for Judgment. Can't wait to play it tomorrow, really been looking forward to it

• Like 1

I bought it during holiday sales, started googling for the trophy guide and the autofill went to "like a dragon ps5" so obviously checked it out, saw the release date and the free upgrade. Waited.

I'm excited to finally start this!

• Like 1

Got it for christmas and waited, since the progress couldn't be transferred to the PS5 version. I'm just at chapter 2, but I like the new main character a lot more than the "Judgement" main already. Really looking forward to trying out the mini-games!

Edited by Keitaro004

On 1/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, Lanky-Lemon said:

Did anyone else hold off from playing this sooner for the shiny PS5 version?

I haven't played Yakuza since 0, very excited to dive into this with its JRPG mechanics! 2694.png

Nope, I'm 90 hours into the PS4 version, but it's been a blast so far.

Despite it suffering narratively from a slow start (story does really pick up later on!), it's one of the best Yakuza entries to date filled to the brim with content, and even the turn-based combat has been executed well!

If you've never picked up a Yakuza game, this is alongside Yakuza 0 the perfect starting entry.

41 minutes ago, PLATnumb-- said:

I waited.  Going to pick it up after work today.  Can't wait!  For people who have gotten it, how's the plat?  I bet the final tower is rough. Didn't see a guide anywhere but it looks pretty straight forward

Much easier than other Yakuza games, there are no bullshit trophies like Mahjong etc. The last tower will need grinding to level 99, but it's very doable in resonable time in one of "dungeons". There are few tricks that will help you get through it (like Ichibans "Peerless resolve" skill that lets hims survive one lethal attack). If you will play it without skipping stuff and will take your time you will get most of the trophies naturally. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/03/2021 at 2:37 AM, PLATnumb-- said:

I waited.  Going to pick it up after work today.  Can't wait!  For people who have gotten it, how's the plat?  I bet the final tower is rough. Didn't see a guide anywhere but it looks pretty straight forward

I just got the platinum and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was really dubious when they announced both a departure from Kiryu and a move to JRPG, but have no fear. The battle system is great (and the reason for it is explained perfectly in game), and Ichiban is incredible. He more than deserves to lead the series from here.

My only complaint is the post-game / Premium Adventure isn't as well rounded as other games. The True Final Millennium dungeon is an absolute monster that takes a LOT of prep work. Unfortunately that prep work comes down to hours of grinding two samey dungeons over and over. Which is a shame because there are so many mini games that would have been great to grind for variety of activities, but the mini games only reward personality stats which you'll have maxed well before attempting the final final dungeon. Just felt like a waste seeing there is so much content in the game, yet most of it just isn't worth your XP time.

That said, it's an incredible game. I held out and waited for the PS5 version and didn't regret it. Great characters, great story (and yes, it's the usual Yakuza twists and turns but with some really great arcs), great mechanics. I think bit more balancing and variety in the late game and I'll be really happy for Yakuza 8 to follow Ichiban on his next Dragon Quest.

• Like 1