Have you ever experienced trophy burnout and what caused it?

Sylvanticore

Getting all weapons to level 10 in Wolfenstein: Youngblood most definitely. There's literally no post game content so I just found myself grinding out the same mission on repeat for months on end ? Seriously feel my enjoyment for gaming and trophy hunting slips more away when devs make bullshit like that...

Another would probably be Gold Rush from Red Dead Redemption 2. I genuinely loved going for everything in this game as it's one of my favourites of all time! But when it came to getting gold medal in 70 story mission, I was so done after 50. Felt like a bit of a chore to get the last 20...

• Like 4

Burnout occurs when you cannot sustain the level of money/time/energy/whatever you are dumping in to an activity.  It's your brain's way of saying 'time out' before you fall off the cliff of diminishing return.  Heed your intuition and take a break.  Or heed your sensibility and stop playing games you don't like.  No one cares about your trophies but you.

• Like 4

For sure, I get burnt out about once every couple of months almost like clockwork. Normally when I get burnt out I'll just take a week or 2 off from playing PS and catch up on shows, playing/writing music, or chipping away at my Steam backlog. Just anything that doesn't involve me having to look at trophies or worrying about completion. I've noticed that before I started actively hunting trophies I never really experienced any kind of game burn out aside from the occasional burn out of playing numerous days in a rows worth of Modern Warfare 2 back when that came out with the homies lol.    

• Like 3

I only really get it on games that I only quite like and not really love, I hate having to do multiple playthroughs/play longer than necessary due to long platinums or worse, when a glitch happens and I need to replay again for (in my mind) no reason.

I tend to stay away from any long/grindy or online games completely now unless I REALLY like that kind of game.

PS Oh and I hate collectibles, especially if the game has no chapter select. the game is over and you've had your fun but you still need to go around and clean up, as if you are tidying up in your game for real.

• Like 3

@related_browser1 I bet it was either Paste Up, Bottom's Up, or that shitty Bullseye trophy that shafted you out of that platinum for Watchdogs 2? Same thing happened to me while playing the PS5 version of Watchdogs Legion back in January. I just gave up and decided to wait a couple of months and hope they fix it at some point. Fuck'n Ubisoft smdh... 

• Like 1

Just recently I believe I have had a little burnout. After 7 platinums in December and 4 more in January, I slowed down considerably in February. I still earned trophies but only 2 platinum's and at times was really unsure what I wanted to play. Not the first time it has happened to me either.

• Like 2

I only started using psn with trophy hunting mid 2017. I played pretty much every title I could get my hands on. 

Was it AAA? Yes > Get it 100%.

After getting 250+ platinums and pretty much clear out the whole psn store with big titles in 2 years time I was tired, annoyed and really burned out from it.

I've played WoW again after that for like 4-5 month's and since then I'm back again and on my way to 400 platinums.

A break usually works for me but that's with everything in life for me.

Edited by Deluziion90
  • Like 2

It transpired many years ago, but competition is what finally caused me to swerve and runoff that cliff. I felt obligated to be in constant competition with my peers, and when that moment of surpassing them finally arrived, I was once again left behind, starting back right where I was previously. The stigma of being within that space of disposition never left me until, gradually, my love for trophy hunting began to diminished day by day without even realizing it. I still compete here and there but I have a more robust and discontinuous outlook of it now. My burnout was a reminder that, at the end of the day, it wasn't that serious and that I needed to take a down a couple of notches before I drove myself mentally sick. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, related_browser1 said:

I relate to this somewhat. I’ve been trying to plat watchdogs since the game dropped the two bugged trophies have caused to despise collectibles but I will eventually plat it.

make sure to use the cargo drone and collect them all with the same character without using fast travel or quitting the game. 

• Like 1

I am currently experiencing a burnout after getting the Assassin's Creed Unity platinum. I still want to get back to videogames but I feel exhausted at the same time.

The best advice I can give is to take a two or three day break or to focus on something else.

• Like 4

I'm currently in a "burnout". I don't want to play, I don't know what game to play, I even don't want to power-on my PS4. I did it yesterday for a stream on Twitch, I don't know why but it was painful. All of this started last week, after my platinum on Alekhine's Gun. This game is awful and I guess spending my Friday night and my entire Saturday to finish that game hurt me. Why so much ? No idea..

To feel better, I tried Death Stranding on Sunday. I was really expecting something from this one, and I was really disappointed. Finally, I tried Hitman2 during the week, no real enjoyment because I had to redo some trophies from Hitman.

This situation happened to me last summer but for different reasons. For personal reasons, my lockdown in France was longer than the average. When it was finally over, I just wanted to spend a lot of time outside and enjoy. Looking at my trophy log, I didn't play from 6th August to 30th October, that's 1/4 of a year !

• Like 2

I had this after getting the platinum and 100% for The Witcher 3. It is such an excellent game that I didn’t feel like playing anything, everything felt boring after playing it “What now?”, I think I bingewatched a series. I had played it for like 150-200 hours, maybe more.

It was a burnout but not a negative one. :)

Then I had the same feeling after playing Dark Souls 3. I had played it so much already and eventually rage deleted the game cause of the Midir boss fight in the DLC. I didn’t play at all for a few days, lol. I loved the game though, the platinum was really fun.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

I had this after getting the platinum and 100% for The Witcher 3. It is such an excellent game that I didn’t feel like playing anything, everything felt boring after playing it “What now?”

Alright, I'll prepare myself for another burnout then, I have The Witcher 3 in my games list ?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, walafc0 said:

Alright, I'll prepare myself for another burnout then, I have The Witcher 3 in my games list 1f601.png

Oh, it’s amazing. I very much doubt you would dislike it if you like RPG and fantasy. There is not a single detail in the game they forgot. Until this day, new details are being found constantly. “What happens if I pick this choice or that choice?”, it will affect the whole world. It’s insane how perfect this game is. I plan on getting the GOTY edition and 100% it again. :) Have fun when you get to it!

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 2

There’s a secret to grinding levels in Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls for most classes, I discovered on the PS3. I have platinums of it on both the ps3 and ps4, as well as the original Diablo 3, and I’ll explain it. I’m not sure if anyone ever discovered it.

Act 5 - Battlefields of Eternity. Sometimes, not every time, there’s a place that spawns on this map that will summon these (I think 2) big demon characters who will spit out, if you stay back, infinite baddies. What I did was get an elastic band over the X button (or whatever button that you think is the best skill), and let the combo multiplier go wild. Eventually, one of the demons will come and you’ll have to take him out (so watch it initially) but the other one will stay put permanently. With this trick, I developed combo multipliers in the high thousands, and when I finally would reap the said experience, my guy’s level would jump from like 60-68. If your class has summon dudes or just a good melee it’s almost flawless the consistent speed (bring an NPC with you also, just as a decoy), I know I did it for the Crusader, Monk, and maybe Wizard, didn’t try it with other ones because I didn’t discover it yet. You will want to let that combo build as high as possible because if you cash in too quickly you’ll get too weak to take them out because enemies level with you, remember, and your equipment will be moot, you really want to jump high in levels your first cash-in. You also should check in on the game, especially in the beginning, just to see if you need to take a health potion occasionally but if you put all your paragon into life-per-hit before doing this (or equip armour that does this), this strategy works even better.

Now some might say this trick could work in the Royal Crypts where the skeleton minions can spawn infinitely. I never found it to be near as effective, and would die off or kill the spawn towers based on how I was aiming. Maybe you can get it to work, but Battlefield of Eternity is where it is at. The combos literally saved 20-30 hours of grinding. It’s not going to work necessarily with every class but I’m telling you it does work, I have 2000-3000 combos and it could have been even higher. 

I did it on normal but if your characters are highly powerful your experience cash in could be even higher on better difficulties.

Your friend,

• Like 2

I don't know if I'd call it 'burnout' exactly, but I do sometimes suffer from a sort of 'post-game-paralysis' when I finish a game.

It seems to be directly proportional to how much I enjoyed the game I've just finished.

If I really had an awesome time with a game, it can be really difficult to figure out what I want to play next, after having so much of my gaming time be consumed by one really great experience.

It happened after Final Fantasy VII Remake, it happened after The Last of Us Part II, Persona 5 Royal and it definitely happened after Dead Cells - in all those cases, I think I ended up cleaning up trophies on old games right afterwards, as I couldn't quite bring myself to start anything new right away.

It's actually got to the point now where, if I am really loving a game, (as I was with Invisible Inc this past couple of weeks) I will purposefully start another game when I feel like the end is in sight (Little Nightmares, in this case). Even if all I actually play is an hour or so. That way, I don't end up wasting an entire evening or two just staring at my unplayed folder, wracked with indecision and rendered catatonic by the inertia of choice!

• Like 3

I've had moments like that but wouldn't call it burnout so much as boredom.  When I see that is going on I try to swap to something easier for a time.  Maybe try swapping to one of your incomplete games where you've not even finished the story and make some progress with a few trophies there and then come back to this.  Alternatively you could swap between playing one of these games for a short time and then play something else.  Even 15 minutes spent towards one of those trophies is progress made.

• Like 2

I just recently burnt out from playing too many games at once and not being able to properly keep track what I was doing in each game. I played Borderlands 2 for a couple of weeks and then was itching to get back to trophies. I would suggest just playing a game you enjoy (maybe one you have already got the 100%/platinum) and just have fun. 
When going for trophies I would typically suggest to not take on too much at once and don’t just do 100 hour games, do a couple of shorter ones in between. Also, switch it up and don’t just play the same sort of games, a bit of variety always keeps me going

• Like 3

Yeah I talked to @Mesopithecus the other day about my near burn out in Monster Hunter World/Iceborne. I've been playing it every day (almost) since December 17th, 2020 and I'm close to the end now (finally).

MHW has a different sort of grind from something like Star Ocean: The Last Hope (which I'm more used to). The thing in MHW is the dammed crowns, the rare monsters, the dammed molys, the RNG on monster materials to craft your weapons. Even the siege events has layers of RNG to get their weapons. It's just layers and layers of RNG stacked on top of each other. It was fun for the first 200 hours, but now I just crossed the 350 hour mark and I'm ready for it to be over. After nearly 2 and a half months of playing this game straight, I'm just burnt out. The actual "game" portion of the game ended 200 hours ago. Haha.

Don't get me wrong, MHW is an utterly fantastic game and I loved it to death. But this game is pushing me to my limits on my patience and I can start to see it wearing down. Thank goodness I only have 8 more monsters to complete for the crowns. I literally cannot imagine doing this without the event quests being available 24/7.

I actually prefer grinds like The Last Hope because even though Last Hope is a similar grind to MHW in terms of length, in Last Hope you're doing a ton of "smaller" grinds that you can actually see progress for. Doing 7 hours of grinding in TLH vs 7 hours of crown hunting in MHW and MAYBE getting a crown is two different grinds completely. I much prefer the grinds where I can actually see tangable progress every day versus the "well, you might get it in 5 minutes.... or 10 hours.... or 3 days!" grind. Also in something like The Last Hope you can turn your brain off after a certain point because your characters get OP. In MHW, you still have to be on your toes in every Master Rank monster and doing that when you KNOW the monster is a crown monster just adds more stress (especially the elder dragons/Scarred Yian Garuga). 

Anyway after MHW I am SO ready to go back to shorter games for awhile. Then I'll start up The Last Hope, cause why not. ;)

Edited by Sword
  • Like 2