Yakuza : Like A Dragon PS5 digital upgrade

Does anyone know what the deal is with the PS4 to PS5 upgrade? I remember reading it wasn't going to be a free upgrade, then I saw it was a free upgrade for physical copies and recently I saw it was free for physical and digital and I currently don't see the option to upgrade on the store. I'm in the US and it's only 4:30am upon writing this and I'm hoping it will go live around 10-11am like they typically used to do. Does anyone know any certainties of any of this upgrade?

I don't mean to derail your thread but, can you start with "like a dragon" instead of starting from the first game? Or is it strongly recommended that I work my way up for a better understanding of the series?

41 minutes ago, Trini said:

I don't mean to derail your thread but, can you start with "like a dragon" instead of starting from the first game? Or is it strongly recommended that I work my way up for a better understanding of the series?

Having played 0-6 (including dead souls) and being currently at chapter 15 of LAD, it's not really necessary BUT and a big BUT, a lot of the characters you meet might feel how should I say... meh or perhaps might not feel as cool? It's not because they're bad, not at all but because other than word of mouth and their power, you really have no other indication that they're as great as they're made out to be. Their presence might feel diminished than if you were to play the previous games and see what the fuss is all about when they're talking about guy X or guy Y for instance

You'll miss out on those Holy shit moments when an important character shows up. The game will allude to their importance but of course the game cannot in 5 minutes explain to you why they're such a big deal in the Yakuza world. 

Having said all of that, the story is self contained and doesn't really require you to know the past events of previous games. Knowing their history though is an added bonus as there's lots of fan service for old timers. 

So in conclusion, you can play LAD without missing out on plot points but I think your experience might be better if you play the previous games. And if you decide to try out the series from the beginning, start with 0. Cheers!

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

And if you decide to try out the series from the beginning, start with 0. Cheers!

I would say to start with Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 and then with 0. Simply because 0 is sooo big, it's easy to feel "saturated" afterwards and you might get "Yakuza Fatigue" from it for a while.

• Like 1