PSNProfiles’ Game of the Generation Poll

doctor_sid

Man I still didn't play some franchises like GOW3, or Uncharted, TLOU, but well this is the best games I've played so far..

(by alphabetical order)

- Batman Arkham Asylum

- Deadly Premonition

- Fallout 3

- GTAV 

- Heavy Rain

- Mass Effect

- Metal Gear Solid 4

- Red Dead Redemption

- Resident Evil 5

- Skyrim

No order:

• The Last of Us
  • Beyond: Two Souls
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Borderlands 2
  • Heavy Rain
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadows
  • Resident Evil 5

...and i think that's it, i might be forgetting some games. :P

Edited by renatabls

Demon's Souls
Batman: Arkham Asylum
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bioshock: Infinite
Mirror's Edge
Uncharted 2
Journey
Dragon's Dogma
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Rayman: Origins

notable games I have not played yet that I plan to:

The Last of Us
Dark Souls
Skyrim
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bayonetta

So my votes are (not in order):

1- M.G. Rising

2- Tomb Raider

3- Uncharted 2

4- Far Cry 3

5- Batman A.City

6- Red Dead Redemption

7- Metal Gear 4

8- Dark Souls/Demon's Souls

9- Killzone 2 (my 1st game)

10- Killzone Mercenary (and only played the demo).

The others i will not forget: Remember me, Borderlands, RE6, Splinter C. Blacklist, AC 3, MW2, Crysis2, Deus Ex:HR, Future Soldier, BF3 :D

This generation was amazing and it's hard to find a group of 10 games. I'll try to order them by favorite.

1 - Dark Souls (probably my all time favorite game);

2 - The Last of Us;

3 - Bayonetta (best action game of the generation);

4 - The Walking Dead (telltale);

5 - Batman: Arkham City;

6 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadows (best end ever);

7 - XCOM;

8 - GTA V;

9 - Uncharted 2;

10 - Mass Effect 2;

Top 10 (in descending order)

1. Fallout 3 - The first and only game I have ever put 700+ (!) hours into across 8 different playthroughs. A huge, fantastically detailed world, filled with colourful and depressing/depressed characters, a lot more than 200 years of captivating alternate-history lore, awesome dialogue and desperation and the single best use of environmental storytelling in gaming, where nearly every location has some sort of story that can be pieced together. Also the only game I've platinumed twice.

I highly encourage any Fallout fans to check out /r/Fallout, where the community there are (literally) decoding every fragment and code released and/or related to possible Fallout 4 teaser site: thesurvivor2299. The site is either a) real OR B) the most elaborate internet hoax ever created!
Nuclear Winter Is Coming (eventually) :awesome:

2. The Last Of Us - Funny story, I had (somehow) barely heard of TLoU and remained skeptical that Naughty Dog could pull off an emotionally charged, compelling story. I have never been so happy to be wrong!
TLoU is a superbly beautiful, compelling story built on top of astounding solid gameplay with a multiplayer portion that doesn't feel tacked on and is highly innovative, well-paced and dependent on teamwork. There isn't much more that hasn't been said by gaming journalists and gamers alike. Kudos to Naughty Dog for creating the playable Cormac Macarthy/Children Of Men game that I never knew I wanted but can't live without!
If all AAA titles were of this quality *sighs*

3. GTA IV - Before I connected my PS3 online, I'd drop many dozens of hours into just fucking around in this expansive beautiful city (after finishing the story). Shooting up an Annihilator until it's pumping out black smoke then flying up and performing a crash landing on the large parking structure on the West River, or reenacting the opening of Quantum Of Solace with a gray not-Aston Martin. The freedom to do these sort of things really made it for me.
IV also had the biggest and best DLC (though technically expansion packs) I have encountered. TBoGT (I don't touch, talk about or remember The Lame & Dumb*) just added to the fun with the AA12, parachutes and C4 :)
*better name TBC
4. The Walking Dead - A successful revitalization of the point-and-click adventure genre and rare occurance of a liscensed title being fucking excellent!
One of two games I have played that have brought me to tears.

5. Fallout: New Vegas - A deep, expansive follow-up to 3, that brought back more of classic Fallout (NCR, OG BoS etc) and fixed many of the niggling problems 3 had gameplay-wise (aside from 3rd person, the animations and other engine related glitches of course). Both games have different appeal and pros/cons (I personally prefer 3 overal, but each to their own), but NV is an enthralling, exciting world worthy of the Fallout name. Vault 11 is a particular highlight

6. L.A Noire - Despite the constant behind-the-scenes turmoil (that likely resulted in the dodgy final portion/ending of the game and occasionally contrived shootouts), what preceeded it was a polished and very fun noir police procedural. The slower pace and reliance on methodical investigation and interviewing is the break I think everyone needs from the latest Call Of Battledogduty: Advanced Modern Warfighter Ops Force Elite, at least for a while :)

7. Red Dead Redemption - Playable. Western.* HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME?!
*(That is well made and doesn't suck)
8. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time - Everything the long-running series could ever hope to be without becoming "just like R&C 2...but"

9. Spec Ops: The Line - A wonderfully well written, scathing story of the shooter genre and built on solid though not always spectacular gameplay. Correct me if I'm wrong but The Line might be this generation's most underrated game. It's worth the price of admission just for the locales, epic soundtrack (Jimi Hendrix! Deep Purple! The Black Angels! Björk?! Martha Reeves & The Vandellas!) and of course, Nolan North losing it while Tron taunts him via a walkie-talkie.

10. Heavy Rain - A compelling but flawed, overambitious project is better than a mediocre and safe one.
In pursuit of the Plat, the absolute worst ending made me cry (2 of 2 this gen)

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order)

GTA V - An excellent, polished sequel and near perfect refinement of the GTA formula...that just didn't have as big an impact as IV.

MW2 - The last CoD game I truly enjoyed, coincidentally the last made by the OG Infinity Ward. RIP Evil Optimus Prime (Shepherd) and Ghost (the coolest character that was always...just sort of there).

Flower - Maybe it's just flOw's BS trophies, but Flower is the superior game. A beautiful and relaxing, wind and music driven odyssey, that manages to maintain it's air of pure simplistic fun without becoming boring or outstaying it's welcome.

Just Cause 2 - A truly massive, though heavily copy/pasted crazy fun sandbox extravaganza that was let down by repetitive missions, dialogue, enemies and AI.

Portal 2 - Needs no introduction. Wonderful expansion of Aperture's history. I <3 Wheatley. I hope Valve learns what a "trilogy" is soon.

Bioshock - System Steampunk Shock 2: The Retro Years. Great story, brilliant world (!) and gameplay. Final levels and ending leave a bitter anticlimactic taste in the mouth.

Battlefield 3 - Beautiful, captivating destruction. Sandbox MP maps with flexible physics and C4! I lived in Battlefield for a few months, Despite the functional but forgettable co-op and SP.

Far Cry 3 - Tropical sandbox with tight gameplay and controls? Excellent graphics and voice-acting? Animal ecosystem right up there with RDR?Annoying douchebag Protagonist and friend characters? Mishandling of the game's MVP who should've been the primary antagonist? Far Cry 3 is all these things and is definitely worth playing.

inFamous - Solid superhero sandbox from Sucker Punch. Fun superpowers, solid world and story balanced with hit-and-miss karma system and repetitive gray city.

Crysis 2 - Supersoldier sandbox in a beautiful, crumbling NYC. Sadly, the MP isn't ideal, terrible lag and host advantage issues having ruined a promising nanosuited (...up) twist on the usual modes. That and the MP trophies are hell.

Uncharted 2 - A watershed moment for graphics and mocap, demo material for the capabilities of the Cell processor and the (then) next-gen graphics. Despite the charm and technical prowess, specific moments in Uncharted games are still just a bit forgettable once they are over (aside from the fantastic desert pilgrimage in 3!).

Generation Making Games I (Sadly) Haven't Played (Yet), That Should Probably Belong In My Top 10
Journey
Bioshock Infinite
Mass Effect 1-3
(I may have put too much work/thought into this)
Edited by pilotfish5296

Results of the Poll:

The games listed are those which received more than 10 percent of the voters nomination (112 respondents at the time of publication).

1st Last of Us 66 votes

2nd Uncharted 2 - 58 votes

3rd Red Dead Redemption - 52 votes

4th Grand Theft Auto V - 44 votes

5th Walking Dead - 39 votes

6th BioShock - 37 votes

7th Fallout 3 - 32 votes

8th Batman: Arkham City - 29 votes

8th Metal Gear Solid 4 - 29 votes

10th Uncharted 3 - 26 votes

11th Assassins's Creed II - 25 votes

11th Far Cry 3 - 25 votes

13th Mass Effect 2 - 24 votes

14th Heavy Rain - 23 votes

15th God of War III - 22 votes

15th Journey - 22 votes

15th Skyrim - 22 votes

18th BioShock Infinite - 18 votes

18th Borderlands 2 - 18 votes

20th Batman: Arkham Asylum - 16 votes

20th Demon's Souls - 16 votes

20th LA Noire - 16 votes

23rd Portal 2 - 15 votes

24th Dead Space - 13 votes

24th Ni No Kuni - 13 votes

26th inFAMOUS - 12 votes

2013 - 141 votes - 4 games (Best Game: Last of Us)

2011 - 132 votes - 6 games (Best Game: Batman: Arkham City)

2010 - 113 votes - 4 games (Best Game: Red Dead Redemption)

2009 - 111 votes - 4 games (Best Game: Uncharted 2)

2008 - 111 votes - 4 games (Best Game: BioShock)

2012 - 104 votes - 4 games (Best Game: Walking Dead) 

Best Franchise - Uncharted

Best Developer - Naughty Dog

Best Publisher - Sony

Edited by doctor_sid
  • Like 2