Films and TV shows to be removed from the PS Store on Aug 31st, 2021

HuntingFever

Does anyone actually buy/rent movies on their consoles? Since the inception of being able to connect to the internet via a console, I've not once purchased or rented any movie or show for that matter lol. I'm surprised it's taken this long for Sony to abandon this idea. 

• Like 3

I will say though, that the Ireland / UK streaming services have really shitty catalogues compared to NA versions (licensing is a joke). We aren't getting HBO Max until sometime towards the end of this year/early into 2023 for some bizarre reason. So the availability of some movies on the PS Store was actually way better than what we get in streaming services based on location.

Here is the official post about it - https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/02/playstation-store-to-discontinue-movie-and-tv-purchases-and-rentals/

If someone did buy something, at least they can still watch it. I get the rationale though, there are so many streaming services now it renders their movie/TV store relatively pointless.

I bought one movie on the PS Store ages ago because it was so hard to find anywhere else in Ireland - Krampus (fantastic Christmas horror movie btw). In the exact same week I bought it on PS Store, the damn thing went up on Netflix.

I rented a few things way back, 99p rental offers that they did for a while. Never bought anything though

6 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I will say though, that the Ireland / UK streaming services have really shitty catalogues compared to NA versions (licensing is a joke). We aren't getting HBO Max until sometime towards the end of this year/early into 2023 for some bizarre reason.

HBO sells everything to sky, pretty much everything they've made is on now tv, they will most likely be waiting on all those licences expiring first otherwise they wouldn't have much to launch with.

Sky is done though when they pull the plug ? 

• Like 2

With all the incredible number of TV shows and movies Sony owns the rights to, they have done a really shitty job with Crackle, then Vue, and now through Playstation, of leveraging their assets into good experiences and seems like their approach has always been to throw it all out there and then just let it stagnate until it annoys the people who even noticed it. And then just shut it down.

I would say I hope this at least makes the store experience better, but with their last store update, my expectations are a bit tempered. 

• Like 2

I bought a handful of things before I realized it was better to just buy it on Amazon.

You can't play anything without the console. I was on vacation and wanted to watch Deadpool and I needed to download an emulator in order to play it. Another disappointing attempt from Sony.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and YouTube already had a handle on digital movies and TV shows years before Sony themselves got into them.

There are plenty of other choices out there. For some obscure movies that nobody cared about I actually managed to find them for free somewhere. Saved me the hassle of paying overpriced fees for them.

The market is already saturated to death. So Sony dropping their library, I couldn't care less.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

Good. It was a waste of resources that could've been put to better use somewhere else. It doesn't need to be a thing when you've got Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc. and then things like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc, in different countries. The only time I ever downloaded a film was when my copy of Uncharted 3 GOTY Edition came with Terminator Salvation but I never even watched it on my PS3.

Side note: I used to hope PS Home might do showings of movies that people could have their avatars go and watch together and chat but that never happened

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

My thanks for a proper link; I refuse to visit that hellsite in the original post.

Since joining PSN in 2008, I've rented a grand total of two films. If most users behave anything like me, this was probably a good call.

• Like 1

me and my brother only used this feature twice where we only saw a trailer of a new movie and a free first episode of some TV series no one even knows about and that's it, since then I barely looks on that section to see what's new, nowdays just use the YT to see trailers, funny how it took so them so long to get rid of that section of the store.

what's bothering me right now is that I just heard that the latest ps4 updated 8.00 or something is in the beta testing right now and it said this new update will remove the communities feature, just WTF is it with this new leadership of Playstation? they did a lots of stupid stuff recently during the release of the ps5, get rid of the movies and TV is fine.. no one actually care much about that section as everyone and their mothers are using streaming services, but it's a no no to get rid of the communities at least for me, I met and made a lots of friends and got some quick help on certain games on the communities feature, is it something to do about some people kept posting naughty in-games screen shots? and they wanna get rid of the whole feature as a one big censorship?

I really hope this is just a rumor

Edited by yellowwindow7

30 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

me and my brother only used this feature twice where we only saw a trailer of a new movie and a free first episode of some TV series no one even knows about and that's it, since then I barely looks on that section to see what's new, nowdays just use the YT to see trailers, funny how it took so them so long to get rid of that section of the store.

what's bothering me right now is that I just heard that the latest ps4 updated 8.00 or something is in the beta testing right now and it said this new update will remove the communities feature, just WTF is it with this new leadership of Playstation? they did a lots of stupid stuff recently during the release of the ps5, get rid of the movies and TV is fine.. no one actually care much about that section as everyone and their mothers are using streaming services, but it's a no no to get rid of the communities at least for me, I met and made a lots of friends and got some quick help on certain games on the communities feature, is it something to do about some people kept posting naughty in-games screen shots? and they wanna get rid of the whole feature as a one big censorship?

I really hope this is just a rumor

It's confirmed, Communities are going bye-bye. They're only doing this because they can't be bothered to hire more people to vet all the reports that people submit so instead of doing the job properly, they're taking the quick and dirty route out of Dodge by nuking the source of the problem out of existence so they don't have to deal with it.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

I can at least watch Blade Runner 2049 and the 2019 Joker on my account. I use the store to rent movies, and I only rented 3. Joker 2019, as I said. The others are Inception, a excellent movie from Christopher Nolan, and Aliens, which is a classic, and I don't own the two, but I at least I watched them from start to finish. It is gonna suck to not rent anymore movies form the PSN Store front.

5 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

It's confirmed, Communities are going bye-bye. They're only doing this because they can't be bothered to hire more people to vet all the reports that people submit so instead of doing the job properly, they're taking the quick and dirty route out of Dodge by nuking the source of the problem out of existence so they don't have to deal with it.

bummer! :(

should have never made the community in the first place, slowly started to hate Sony for these recent cuts and changes that nobody asked for, guess next they'll gonna cut off the ps2 classics since they never updated that list for two years now.... 

17 hours ago, Pray_4_the_End said:

Does anyone actually buy/rent movies on their consoles? Since the inception of being able to connect to the internet via a console, I've not once purchased or rented any movie or show for that matter lol. I'm surprised it's taken this long for Sony to abandon this idea. 

Nope, I got Powers when they were giving it away for free a few years ago (decent show, interesting ideas, ending sucked though), but besides that I would never, not when Netflix / Hulu / whatever are options. The days of paying for individual shows / movies are over, IMO.

• Like 1