Films and TV shows to be removed from the PS Store on Aug 31st, 2021

HuntingFever

About damn time! I don’t imagine purchasing individual movies and TV episodes/seasons is very popular for other digital services either, but if I wanted to do this PlayStation Video certainly wouldn’t be one of my first options to consider.

For about 3-4 years movies and TV shows weren’t even listed on the online PlayStation Store (which is now the old store, of course). The Vita’s Storefront promotes only three films (Everest, Maze Runner: Scorch Trials & The Martian, all are released in 2015) and I can guaranteed no media from beyond 2016 is listed and just recently all listings have a missing image placeholder. Keep in mind this is from my experience with the Australian/EU region so this may very well be different for everyone else.

Somewhat unrelated criticism below:

Big Buck Corps: “STREAMING IS THE FUTURE. WAKE UP EVERYBODY!”

The only issue with the above is competition. I believe this can be great for the consumer but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. Even for me, there’s too many options for streaming services. With distribution contracts changing all the time (stuff being added or taken away and content that’s absent for no reason, situations where Netflix will only include the third film in a popular trilogy eg. Indiana Jones) and being able to afford what you want with a middle-class income. I know this situation is much worse in other countries (US just introduced HBO Max and Paramount+ for heaven’s sake) but living in a country where prices go up but my pay goes nowhere gives me little or no reason to be lucky.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 0:44 AM, Miles Vanilla said:

Somewhat unrelated criticism below:

Big Buck Corps: “STREAMING IS THE FUTURE. WAKE UP EVERYBODY!”

The only issue with the above is competition. I believe this can be great for the consumer but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. Even for me, there’s too many options for streaming services. With distribution contracts changing all the time (stuff being added or taken away and content that’s absent for no reason, situations where Netflix will only include the third film in a popular trilogy eg. Indiana Jones) and being able to afford what you want with a middle-class income. I know this situation is much worse in other countries (US just introduced HBO Max and Paramount+ for heaven’s sake) but living in a country where prices go up but my pay goes nowhere gives me little or no reason to be lucky.

To be honest, I see all the different streaming services being similar to what customers have been demanding since cable TV first came into existence.  People have been sick and tired of having to pay for the most expensive packages just to get the one or two channels they really want that are only in the highest level package that costs a fortune because many of the most popular channels are in the most expensive packages only.  Different streaming services is somewhat like being able to pick what channels a person wants and only pay a fee for those and ignore the rest.  It may not be quite perfect yet, especially outside the US, but I do think overall it's a move in the right direction towards giving the customer the ability to pick and choose what content they want and only pay for the content they want rather than a huge fee to get the one thing they want and a bunch they do not.  Give it some 5 to 10 years and that's very likely what the model is going to end up being like and cable TV will be very much hurting for business unless they adapt.