What was the last game you bought before upgrading to a new console?

Jake-TheGreat97

For me personally, the last game I bought on PS3 before upgrading to the PS4 was Lego Marvel Super Heroes. I still bought other games PS3 games after that, but Lego Marvel was the last one before I upgraded to PS4. On PS4 the last game I bought was Resident Evil 5. However, since it could be argued that's technically still a PS3 game, the last PS4 that I bought was Resident Evil 3 Remake. I can see myself buying more PS4 games on my PS5, although due to PS Plus, the PS Plus Collection, and some free PS5 upgrades, I don't see myself buying a new game anytime soon.

Edited by Jake-TheGreat97

I'm still buying PS3 games. Upgrading doesn't mean that I can no longer go back and enjoy games from older consoles.

In fact, with the PS5 having the ability to play PS4 games, I don't see any urgency to stop buying PS4 games in the near future.

And don't even get me started on the ongoing hunt for Vita games...

• Like 4

Considering only the consoles I stopped buying games on...

Ps1: Either Crash 3, Crash Bash, Spyro 3 and Tekken 2, I bought them all around the same time in September 2014

Ps2: WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2006, bought it in July 2015 for 4€: great game. Before it, it was SvR2011 in December 2010, a nearly five years gap

Xbox 360: WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2008, in September 2016

Psp: No idea lol Probably Tekken 6 (December 2009) but I gifted it to a dude some years ago, but I'm not sure if it is it.

Edited by KenjiCBZ

I don't remember what my last PS3 game I bought before getting PS4, but I have bought some PS3 games after having a PS4. I am still buying PS4 games even though I have a PS5. I play both right from my PS5. I have a PS4 that is just a little over a year old and I think I have turned it on twice since November.

• 2 months later...

For PS3, I think it was Tales of Zestiria, I'm still using my PS4 and don't have the PS5. As for PS1 and 2, I have no idea.

On the 3DS, it was Harvest moon trio of towns but I never got a switch, i just stopped playing my DS altogether years ago. 

I've never really seen getting new consoles as being an "upgrade", it's just getting a new console in order to play games that the other console cant. Never been the kind of person to sell my "old" consoles in order to buy whatever the latest one is. I may no longer play my older consoles as much or at all if the new system has backwards compatibility, but I won't be getting rid of them. A lot of the consoles I own have some sentimentally attached to them as well, a lot of them were gifts, and have a lot of fond memories attached to them.

But to answer your question, I don't remember what the last games I've bought for consoles have been for the most part. I bought Ever Oasis for 3DS last year, that's probably the last 3DS game I'll ever buy. Got Root Double for Vita earlier this year, will probably be my last ever Vita purchase, and bought a few last PS3 games earlier this year as well, I think the last being Folklore, which is something I've been on the fence about for over a decade (and kinda rightfully so because my God is this game fucking boring tbh).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I've never really seen getting new consoles as being an "upgrade", it's just getting a new console in order to play games that the other console cant. Never been the kind of person to sell my "old" consoles in order to buy whatever the latest one is. I may no longer play my older consoles as much or at all if the new system has backwards compatibility, but I won't be getting rid of them. A lot of the consoles I own have some sentimentally attached to them as well, a lot of them were gifts, and have a lot of fond memories attached to them.

Very good statement.

I can't stand people who feel it is absolutely, completely necessary to buy a new console in order to "keep up". Gaming as a whole is a luxury. All the PS4 games I got in my bedroom? All luxuries, I can live my life easily without them. I just partake in buying games and keeping a physical collection because I enjoy gaming, it's a hobby of mine.

I have some old consoles as well. Still have a Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and PS2, but the consoles themselves don't run well anymore.

Newer consoles just enable you to play newer games, it's honestly not that different from buying a new PC to handle the newer software programs. I mean sure, I can spend around $1000 in some places to get a Playstation 5 brand new, sealed and in mint condition from the hoarders out there charging a premium. Right now I see no reason to. I don't play many AAA games anyway so I don't see the need to do any "upgrade" right now.

I have always waited at least two - three years to jump a generation ahead. For the people who got their Playstation 5 on launch day, great. You got a new and snazzy luxury item you can show off to your friends. But that's not what I am. I play games when I want at any time, regardless of how "old" or "new" they are. I don't need a newer console to enjoy these games.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

Luxury item lmao. its not even expensive. If you have a job and manage money you are fine. 

My "last game" before upgrading to ps5 (yes its an upgrade), would be probably Trails of Cold Steel IV that released end of October. 

$800-$1000 for a new console is nothing. Most people or families spend an average of $2000 on a TV that is easily outdated within two years. 

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Very good statement.

I can't stand people who feel it is absolutely, completely necessary to buy a new console in order to "keep up". Gaming as a whole is a luxury. All the PS4 games I got in my bedroom? All luxuries, I can live my life easily without them. I just partake in buying games and keeping a physical collection because I enjoy gaming, it's a hobby of mine.

I have some old consoles as well. Still have a Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and PS2, but the consoles themselves don't run well anymore.

Newer consoles just enable you to play newer games, it's honestly not that different from buying a new PC to handle the newer software programs. I mean sure, I can spend around $1000 in some places to get a Playstation 5 brand new, sealed and in mint condition from the hoarders out there charging a premium. Right now I see no reason to. I don't play many AAA games anyway so I don't see the need to do any "upgrade" right now.

I have always waited at least two - three years to jump a generation ahead. For the people who got their Playstation 5 on launch day, great. You got a new and snazzy luxury item you can show off to your friends. But that's not what I am. I play games when I want at any time, regardless of how "old" or "new" they are. I don't need a newer console to enjoy these games.

I've never understood the need to get whatever the "latest and greatest" thing is. My phone is nearing 4 years old now and I feel no need to upgrade it any time soon, but I know it's considered old by most people now. They are indeed luxuries, and new phones and other gadgets every single year is not exactly helping the planet or people in general, it's just completely unnecessary how often some hardware gets "upgrades".

I sadly sold off some of my older consoles such as N64 when I was younger, which I regret now, but I wasn't really using them any more, was just emulating games I wanted to play for them, even if I already owned them.

I have enough games that I could easily skip this gen if I really wanted to, but there are some games I'm going to want to play on PS5/XSX eventually, so I'll get them eventually, likely when their inevitable "slim" revisions are out, and they're more readily available for their RRP. With so many PS4 games having "free upgrades" to PS5, and pretty much being the same game anyway (it's not like the PS1 to PS2 era any more where games on the newer system were basically entirely different games), I feel even less incentive to get a PS5 any time soon.

If I had a PS5 right now, it would likely just be collecting dust until Ratchet and Clank comes out, then it would be collecting dust once more afterwards. Probably would have only played Astro's Playroom and Returnal on it at this point if I got it at launch, likely wouldn't even really bother replaying Demon's Souls in its remade form. I've gotten some consoles at launch before, such as the PS4, and honestly kind of regretted it, since I'll usually play a game or two on it then it's left sitting there for several months until the next game I care about is out. I'd rather wait until a console has built up a small library of games I'm interested in nowadays before I buy one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...