Denuvo Anti-Cheat DRM coming to PS5

SnowxSakura

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/denuvo-anti-cheat-comes-to-ps5-to-help-get-rid-of-jerks/1100-6488626/

"

The popular anti-cheat software Denuvo is coming to PlayStation 5. The software's owner announced that Denuvo is now part of the PS5 Tools and Middleware program.

What this means is that the Denuvo anti-cheat software--which has been commonplace and controversial on PC for years--can now be used by developers and publishers on PS5.

Denuvo touts its software as having reached more than 2 billion game installs on all platforms, with more than 1,000 games protected by its software.

"Today, as a member of ecosystem players, Denuvo will carry on its mission of bringing fairness and fun back to gaming by providing its Anti-Cheat solution to all developers who want to protect their games and gamers, from hackers and cheaters, on PlayStation 5," the company said.

Denuvo said its anti-cheat tools are capable of protecting online and offline gameplay. "The technology helps game developers protect sensitive game logic or data, preventing cheaters from changing sensitive variables and ensuring its trustworthiness," it said.

The company said "a number" of PS5 launch titles already use Denuvo, but it did not say which ones.

"Cheating ruins video games for honest players," Denuvo boss Reinhard Blaukovitsch said in a statement. "This can lead to lower engagement, game traffic and shrinking revenues for game publishers. We are really proud be able to help the world's most talented developers to bring rich experiences for gamers on Playstation 5."

By nature of being DRM in the first place, Denuvo is often seen as controversial software in the eyes of PC players. One of the main pieces of criticism of Denuvo is that the anti-piracy software has been shown to impact performance in some cases.

The company has acknowledged that no DRM product can stop tampering. What Denuvo offers for publishers is a software that protects initial sales; Denuvo estimates that around 70% of game revenue for a typical title comes within the first two weeks after launch.

Whether or not Denuvo will ever come to Xbox or Nintendo consoles remains to be seen."

I’m happy this is happening. With cross play becoming very common, cheaters on PC will definitely ruin fun at some point. So this, in theory, a good solution for that. 

Wish Rockstar would implement this in their games on PC as they are giving too much control and gamers’ personal information over to cheaters without any consequences. With a few simple steps, cheaters can even permanently get you banned by R*. It’s totally nuts. 

It's such a waste of time and money. Anything man-made is exploitable.

15 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

How useful could this really be with the push for crossplay? PC hackers have ruined COD Warzone and probably more games.

Or is this just to stop piracy?

DRM can be disabled so no it doesn't stop piracy

• Like 1

Huh, that happened. So will this mean all the Modded Call of Duty servers will be no more? Or is it going to be just another attempt at controlling the players, wouldn't be surprised if it "accidentally" banned your account for baseless claims.

8 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I find myself not caring about this in the least, though (as a computer neophyte), I have to ask: why is Sony not taking flak for this the way MS did back on launch for the XBone? Was there some deeper significance to MS' announcement?

I think the issue with the Xbox One was all the other issues surrounding it coming up to release. They did end up back pedalling on a lot of it, but stuff like "always online" and not being able to play used games, then smugly telling people they already have a console for people with no/poor internet (Xbox 360), really soured Microsoft in the eyes of a lot of people, myself included. Sony has definitely done some questionable practices themselves as well, but they tend to not be so outwardly arrogant about it (though they've definitely been very close to coming to it in more recent times). Plus, it seems this DRM is primarily just going to be targeting online cheating, something that a lot of people will agree is something that needs to be dealt with, unlike telling you your console needs to be online 24/7 or you can't share your game discs with friends.

Anyway, in regards to this, I kinda don't really care either. I rarely play online/multiplayer games any more anyway. I am very skeptical of how exactly this is going to work though, and if it's something that's actually going to stick around long term.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1369662881323610116

"Denuvo on PlayStation is thankfully pretty lite. It’s just anti-cheat, not anti-tamper. It doesn’t do any weird code obfuscation that impacts gameplay, and none of the gross DRM “activation” stuff you see on PC. It’s been on PS4 for years."

- Lance McDonald

As long as this is all it is, I can't say I really care.

I'm not sure why it'd ever need to be more than anti-cheat, account-tied digital purchases and disc checks seem like an adequate enough defense.  Unlike PC, the barrier of entry for console piracy is much higher... as someone who has gently dipped their toes in that scene, I still have no idea how to pirate on newer consoles, and it likely involves some unsavory things that'd void the warranty and jeopardize usage of the hardware.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

Sony just lost a sale of one of their PS5's and all associated software with this decision.  DRM software should be illegal due to how it's inherently consumer hostile.  

All consoles is essentially designed around DRM. They are all about locking you into which devices you can use the software on and preventing your files from being used by other users or systems. You can't be anti-DRM and play video games on consoles. DRM is a fundamental design principle in every single video game console. 

Every PlayStation game you play is already absolutely jam packed with DRM. 

Edited by iriihutoR84

28 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

All consoles is essentially designed around DRM. They are all about locking you into which devices you can use the software on and preventing your files from being used by other users or systems. You can't be anti-DRM and play video games on consoles. DRM is a fundamental design principle in every single video game console. 

Every PlayStation game you play is already absolutely jam packed with DRM. 

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. That "digital rights" is a concern for any company copying their content to any other media for consumers. Those companies want consumers to buy a copy of a product but not to have the right to copy/sell copies of a copy. The plastic tabs/indents on VHS and cassette tapes are DRM. Retail optic discs all have some code or hash that prevents copying without a burner that ignores those security measures. 

It's kinda too late to get upset about any type of DRM at this point.

Unfortunately every single "free" PS+ game is DRM.

IF you stop your subscription, potentially you will be losing 6 years of "free" games across multiple systems. Every single digital purchase on Vita is DRM locked to your region.

Welcome to the digital only future.

Edited by enaysoft
Saved by mcnichoj lol

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

It's kinda too late to get update about any type of DRM at this point.

I think you did a typo and meant to put "upset" there.

Denuvo isn't just DRM and PS+ isn't DRM at all. Denovu is software that runs in the background while you play games. On PC it has been known to affect game performance such as throttling frame rate consistency. Harada the current lead of the Tekken franchise hates the software but his games still have it (probably because Bamco has a deal with Denuvo) and he himself is a PC aficionado. PS+ is just a glorified rental service, it doesn't do anything to the games you play.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

How useful could this really be with the push for crossplay? PC hackers have ruined COD Warzone and probably more games.

Or is this just to stop piracy?

Crossplay has killed many online games for consoles, Warzone is completely pointless. 

It's to stop piracy.

On 3/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, nrs1nrs1 said:

"Denuvo on PlayStation is thankfully pretty lite. It’s just anti-cheat, not anti-tamper. It doesn’t do any weird code obfuscation that impacts gameplay, and none of the gross DRM “activation” stuff you see on PC. It’s been on PS4 for years."

Some PC games take performance hits from Denuvo Anti-Tamper (not Denuvo Anti-Cheat) and some don't. Overlord Gaming once noticed frametime spikes in the 100, 200, and even 400 millisecond ranges in some games that previously had DAT. These spikes didn't happen after DAT was removed.

Irdeto has said that DAC is not a performance killer, but we'll see. At least it's not built into the PS5, and developers don't have to use it. Developers could ditch it if there's a backlash, like Doom Eternal on PC.

• Like 1