Platinum rarity discrepancy anomaly. ??

I hope someone could help me understand this.  Here on PSNProfiles, the rarity of this game's platinum trophy is 0.72%.  The actual platinum rarity on PSN is 5.3%.  Now I realize that PSNP is based on only those who are members of this site/have registered with this site or what-have-you while PSN is based on every single PSN account that exists and has played the game.  I get that.  What I do not understand is that this seems like a huge anomaly to me.  Because this is a site and a community dedicated to trophy hunting and only counts those who are members or have registered with this site (in my understanding), I have found that the rarity of a platinum on PSN tends to be more rare than here because, again, PSN counts every single PSN account that has ever loaded up and played the game as opposed to here.  So to see the rarity of the platinum trophy on PSN to be rated as very rare and at 5.3% while here it is rated as ultra-rare and 0.72% with a handful of achievers boggles my mind.  The only thing I can think of is a lot of people have figured out a way to hack the trophies and PSNP has removed a ton of people for this as opposed to Sony which may have done nothing.  Again, I don't know.  That's just speculation on my part.  I am baffled though.  If anyone can explain or enlighten me, it would be much appreciated.  Maybe there is something I am just not understanding about all of this or that I am missing.  Thank you kindly for reading this and for any insight anyone can give me to understand this.  It's not a huge issue, but one that just boggles my mind.  Thank you all. 

Edited by Spider-Man916
  • Like 1

A few possibilities present themselves.

As you say, hackers.  This is particularly true for games with an unachievable or near-unachievable plat.

Laughing chance.  With a large enough sample size it is entirely possible that a game has a higher completion rate 'in the wild' than it does on PSNP. 

Bias.  PSNP has a focus on trophy hunting and therefore is not a representative sample of PSN gamers as a whole.  Something could make the game highly unattractive to the people on PSNP, but not to the gaming community as a whole.

• Like 2

I’ve been baffled by this myself as well with other games. I have come to the conclusion that the trophies for them games are easy for casual players but trophy hunters who are registered on this site haven’t played it or have given up on it for whatever reasons 

PSNP rarity takes under consideration these accounts, that have been either registered (regular users), or these accounts that have been manually searched, doesn't matter if they even know about this site or not. You can "update" an account of a child who has only played LBP for 10 minutes in his entire life, but his stats will be registered by the site. 

There's also something known as the phenomenon of false universality. Basically, just because this site has "trophy hunters" as its population, it doesn't mean lots of them will be interested in getting a plat in a game called Super Monkey Banana whatever. That's also one of the reasons why games for PS Move/VR are generally very rare on PSNP, but not so much on PSN itself.

• Like 1